Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Have the police launched a DUI crackdown on rich people??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 AM   #31
Genghis77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The German car companies could understand why Americans wanted cup holders in their cars. Like why would anyone be drinking coffee or soda when they are driving? The accidents increase with distractions. I have seen people driving and watching TV, though illegal. Law in Oregon is if you can hear a car's stereo is audible at 25 feet it is too loud. But who wants to hear approaching traffic while driving.

I have driven in over 50 countries. I rate the Germans as the best drivers, but very fast and hard for me to fit in. UK, France and other EU countries good. But Italy is hell especially in cities. Mexico is alright except as you near Mexico City. Asia and South America are good as is Australia. As an American, I place Americans as low performance drivers. But it varies. Generally the worst drivers are on both coasts. In Oregon, the worst drivers are displaying Alberta Canada license plates.

On the other hand it can't be said the laws in the US are too soft because we have more people in prison than any other country. More than 2 million. I am sure a good many for serious driving violations

I know most American drivers could not pass a drivers test in the UK as they require knowledge on car maintenance and repair as part of the exam.

The US is neither as vast nor sparse as Austrailia, Brazil or many other countries. Air travel and cars changed transportation in the US. I can still remember good rail and bus service in the 50's and 60's. But it all came to an end with Federally subsidized AmTrac and the loss of TrailWays and other bus services.

Last edited by Genghis77; 12-18-2006 at 03:46 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 06:52 AM   #32
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis77
On the other hand it can't be said the laws in the US are too soft because we have more people in prison than any other country. More than 2 million. I am sure a good many for serious driving violations
People get sent to prison for serious driving violations? This is news to me.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #33
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibby33
Toot,
tis a fair call about having to rx and tx calls from a car, this is the nature of the world today - nothing stops for anything, most phones have a hand free option anyway.

Why is your economy more efficient if you need to drive more. I am confused! (by the way in case you read this wrong I am just interested - not having a go ) ...you will know when I am having a go!
It's cool. I thought someone might call me on that...

We drive more, but we take less public transportation. Therefore, we are not tied to other peoples' schedules to get around. Surely, you would agree that, from a business perspective, a car is more efficient than a public bus or a train. So, the ability to "move around" more is a benefit. I've never had a job where I didn't need my own car. Even if I was just pumping gas, I still needed a car becuse sometimes we had to go get stuff to fill a vending machine or whatever. I wouldn't want to lug 30 cases of soda on a public bus.

What's more, I could go at my leisure, the moment we had some down time. I could leave my house right at 7am (the time I was supposed to arrive at work), get to the supply shop, and be at work by 7:45 with the supplies. If I was taking public transportation, it would've been an hour and a half or more. Even if the public transport were good, there's still, undeniably, more waiting and walking to do.

Driving is more efficient from a business perspective, just less so from a social or environmental perspective.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #34
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
People get sent to prison for serious driving violations? This is news to me.
I had a neighbor that killed 5 people while driving the wrong direction on the freeway. That was 8 years ago. He was sentenced to 17 years in the State Prison and permanent loss of driving privilege. No provision for parole or early release. He was taking medications for schizophrenia as well as bi-polar. Rightly he should have received a hospital sentence rather than prison. But this example proves that it does happen.

In Oregon the 4th DUII in 5 years requires a 1 year prison sentence. Not sure it is actually imposed though.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:03 PM   #35
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
It's cool. I thought someone might call me on that...

We drive more, but we take less public transportation. Therefore, we are not tied to other peoples' schedules to get around. Surely, you would agree that, from a business perspective, a car is more efficient than a public bus or a train. So, the ability to "move around" more is a benefit. I've never had a job where I didn't need my own car. Even if I was just pumping gas, I still needed a car becuse sometimes we had to go get stuff to fill a vending machine or whatever. I wouldn't want to lug 30 cases of soda on a public bus.

What's more, I could go at my leisure, the moment we had some down time. I could leave my house right at 7am (the time I was supposed to arrive at work), get to the supply shop, and be at work by 7:45 with the supplies. If I was taking public transportation, it would've been an hour and a half or more. Even if the public transport were good, there's still, undeniably, more waiting and walking to do.

Driving is more efficient from a business perspective, just less so from a social or environmental perspective.
Good points. I suppose it depends on what your business is. I travelled a lot between Glasgow and Edinburgh and it was a lot easier to get the express train (one leaves every 15 min) and then a taxi if required. Could sleep on the train or read paper / make calls / drink beer...

There are big differences between where I come from and where you are. One is the amount of space - in Scotland most is crammed in to the cities and therefore it is more economical to have public transport than in America where everything seems so much more spread out and it would not be viable to have public transport linking it all on a regular basis.

Tasmania is a bit like Scotland. I get the bus to work each day (10min bus ride ). I am lucky enough to have a bus stop basically across the road from my house. It would take me longer to get my ute warmed up (she is 19 and likes to smoke a bit), drive through the traffic, park (pay AU$12) and then walk to work. Making the trip home with HB supplies strapped to my back can get a bit tiring though esp with 8Kilos of DME like I did last week

Horses for courses and all that...

DUI is pretty rife here in Tas esp if you live far out of town. There are always random breath tests set up on the roads. My father in law was banned for 1 year - only blew 0.06 (limit is 0.05 here) but he was a regular and they threw the book at him. One of my mates has been on zero for 6 years and still has another 3 to go. He blew 0.26 I think.

I am getting thirsty!

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 12-18-2006, 11:42 PM   #36
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

In Sweden the allowable BAC is basically zilch. You're okay with one weak beer, but beyond that you would be illegal. However, as mentioned, the public transit is such that you can get most anywhere you need to go without driving, and going out on a bicycle is not too unusual nor does it carry any negative stigma.

The fact that a decent pint costs ~$7-8 is really the main obstacle over there...

Quick Reply