Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Have the police launched a DUI crackdown on rich people??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
Shoopdog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I agree with Pumbaa...I have worked many accident scenes where drunk drivers killed innocent people minding their own business. Also, several fellow officers retired out because drunks, for some reason, like to drive towards the pretty flashing lights. Wish people would use DDs, or stay home and get snockered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 AM   #12
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and everyone has the right to express it and to advocate it. That's a good thing for us all. Unfortunately, it becomes impossible to discuss such differences of opinion in certain venues, such as this forum, because beliefs regarding crimes and punishments are rooted in political ideology, and politics is a forbidden topic here. And with good reason, since politics is one of the two most contentious topics that a forum might entertain. Unless the forum is intended for such debate, it tends to distract from the proper focus of the forum.

To those of you who advocate extreme punishments like life imprisonment for DUI in situations that only have a potential to cause harm, versus the more serious situations that result in actual harm, my sincere hope for you is that you will never have to face the terribly sad circumstance in which you or one of your children or loved ones is arrested for DUI.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:50 AM   #13
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion and everyone has the right to express it and to advocate it. That's a good thing for us all. Unfortunately, it becomes impossible to discuss such differences of opinion in certain venues, such as this forum, because beliefs regarding crimes and punishments are rooted in political ideology, and politics is a forbidden topic here. And with good reason, since politics is one of the two most contentious topics that a forum might entertain. Unless the forum is intended for such debate, it tends to distract from the proper focus of the forum.

To those of you who advocate extreme punishments like life imprisonment for DUI in situations that only have a potential to cause harm, versus the more serious situations that result in actual harm, my sincere hope for you is that you will never have to face the terribly sad circumstance in which you or one of your children or loved ones is arrested for DUI.
I hope I never run into that situation myself but IMHO if penelties were much stronger maybe people would realize it's not a joke. Like I said above I'll give everyone a first "oh ****" . . . because as I have said before (maybe not here) drunk driving is like masterbation . . . everyone has done it at least once, and if ya say ya havent then you either a a liar OR you dont know what it is.

Hell I probably was breaking the law the other night when I drove home from a Union meeting. it wasnt the smartest thing to do but TBH I dont really regret doing it either. If I would have been pulled over and busted I wouldnt have had much to whine about though. I knew the risks, I made my decision, and I (probably) broke the law.

On the flip side . . . I also think the drinking age should be about 16 and the legal driving age should be 21, AND as much as it makes me want to choke (I'm not a big Europe fan, There were reasons our families left it) I think we should take a more European attitude to driving over here. They realize driving is a serious task and rarely will you see them doing something else when they are driving.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:22 AM   #14
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
I think we should take a more European attitude to driving over here. They realize driving is a serious task and rarely will you see them doing something else when they are driving.

That's so true, the average skill level of drivers over there is way higher than in north america.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #15
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

As a "free" country, a lot of people think of driving as a right and not a priviledge. That being said, drunk driving is one of many problems drivers face today. Cell phones, dvd players and general inattentive driving makes me dread every trip we take up to New Jersey.

I hope that we see cars that can drive themselves in our lifetime.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:22 PM   #16
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Philisophically, I don't really like distinguishing between being in a situation with the POTENTIAL for harm (DUI, no accident, nobody hurt) versus one with actual harm (you kill someone). To my eye, the difference between the former and the latter is primarily a matter of luck - you didn't HAPPEN to run into someone this time (but would have if they were there). I also happen to believe that the punishments for crimes like attempted murder ought to be a lot closer to those for murder; should you receive leniancy because the bullet happened to miss a major organ?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:30 PM   #17
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Let's get this back on topic:

Old 10-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #18
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee

LOL, I wish we could post picture polls!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:43 PM   #19
Brewpastor
Beer, not rocket science

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts

I am ready to form a new organization: DAMM - Drinkers Against Mad Mothers

I am tired of my rights being taken away because existing laws are not enforced and because others happen to not approve of drinking.

This is a HOT issue for me. I had a brother killed by a drunk driver, but still know there are responsible drinkers out there.

THUMP (the sound of me getting off my soapbox)

Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #20
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Let's get this back on topic:

I dont think they are cracking down on it more I think it's more of a media that has nothing better to do. With at least 4 24 hour cable news networks there just isnt that much to cover right now so when things get slow . . .

Except that last guy . . . he's someone to watch out for . . .

Quick Reply