The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Hats off to single moms & dads

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
Glibbidy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Hats off to single moms & dads

I commend all single parents out there! My wife is in Seattle this week, and I have been on a solo parenting challenge with my 3 and 5 year old since Monday.

Luckily everything has worked like Swiss timing, but holy crap it's a mountain of work, not to mention the level of organization, and logisitical management required to pull it off.
I just wanted to recognize any of you out there doing it full time. Keep up the good work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
WOP31

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

I too would like to tip my hat to single parents. My fiance is a full time student, part time mental health tech, and in the Army Reserves, so i spend a lot of time playing "super dad" to our 1.5 year old.

We ffound out not too long ago that she is going to have to go to Iraq next april for a year, so I am going to be a single dad for quite a while. Plus all the training whe has to go to before hand, it is going to be a really trying year and a half.

Cheers

Old 11-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #3
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wop31
We ffound out not too long ago that she is going to have to go to Iraq next april for a year, so I am going to be a single dad for quite a while. Plus all the training whe has to go to before hand, it is going to be a really trying year and a half.
I go crazy trying to get all the yard work done and take care of the baby when the wife works weekends. I cant imagine being a single parent, and those of you that are have a good deal of my respect.

Wop, thats tough man. Tell your wife that I thank her for her service.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Jester369

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a single dad, but only 3-4 days a week. I wouldn't trade my guys for anything, but I tell ya by day 4, I'm ready for a breather. Full time would be a whooooole other world.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

IMO, it actually gets more confortable full time. I've got 4 kids (1 full time with SWMBO and 3 that I share custody of with my ex), and I've found that when I have all 4 of them for weekends it does seem like a nice break when 3 of them go back to their mom's.

But in the summer when I have all 4 of them for full weeks at a time (I take vacation from work - SWMBO doesn't) it actually gets easier after a couple of days. It's getting into patterns and everyone getting used to the way that Daddy does things.

Most single parents *are* pretty amazing people though... except my ex, she is the spawn of satan.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I made thru this week. My wifey returns Tuesday. The girls are going to have a sleep over at their surrogate aunite's house tonight. I'm going to get my ju-ju on and brew up a a decoction concotion.
Like I mentioned before it was a mountain of work, but well wortht he effort! Kids rule!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Hey, a night without a wife OR the kidlings! Nice!

The longest I've had to do the single-dad thing was three days, I think (wifey was at a conference that ran a day longer that she thought... she can be a bit of a space cadet). First day's always the toughest, then it's all into routine. I couldn't imagine being able to brew with a little one and no help, though.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

My one boy wears me out after a few days. And try to juggle getting him to and from daycare on time, walk the dog, clean the house, make sure everyone's fed...

I don't know how it's done without an amazing support system in place.

I'll say this about kids though: I never really wanted to have kids, I never wanted to be a dad. I never thought I'd be ready. My wife was the one who really wanted kids, so I went along with her. Man am I glad I did. My son amazes me every day. The amount of love he has for us - and we have for him - is amazing.

The best parenting lines I've ever heard were from Turk on Scrubs:

"Having a kid is like having a dog that eventually learns how to talk."

"After having a kid, you look down at your hand and see poop on your thumb and you'll just wipe it off on your pant leg."

It's that first time your kid walks up to you and unaided gives you a kiss and says "Love you daddy." That's what makes it all worthwhile. Until he then does the same thing to the dog, the remote control, the door... That's my little boy! He LOOOOVES lamp.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

That's so true, Cheese.

I didn't really know if I would be ready to be a dad or not, but it's been phe-feckin'-nominal. I *loved* it last night, I got my BarleyCrusher, I was putting it together, and she was reaching into the sack of rauchmalt (without my asking her) so that we could crush some. She HAD to turn the handcrank, too! Then, she sat down and ate rauchmalt out of a bowl, with a spoon, and all I could think was - that's my girl!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #10
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

My wife takes 1 or 2 trips a year out of the country for her job, for a week at a time and I get to play with our munchkin non-stop. I definitely love it, it's wonderful...but there is something to be said about bedtime for her when I can finally wind down.

Quick Reply