has anyone looked into order liquor online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on shipping, but I have found no. I haven't tried to order liquor online, but I have ordered beer, and it's pricey to have it shipped.

It would have to be something pretty special for me to order online. Pennsylvania requires that all unlicensed alcohol be shipped to the State Store and a $4.50 service charge added on top of handleing fees and taxes. They do however have an extensive online catalog that can be ordered from that are "approved".

Rick

I've ordered quite a bit online. I've ordered wine and mead domestically, and even absinthe from Europe. However I didn't order it to save money - I ordered it because it wasn't available locally.

I've never ordered to save money. I was about to order some Pisco before I found a store to get it locally, but then my mom brought me a few bottles home from Peru and it takes me a long time to go through it.

I bought a 375ml container of some rye whiskey from a small NY distillery, and it was fairly cheap...

...considering it was a specialty distillery. I live in PA, too, there were no problems that I encountered. Then again I doubt the LCB knew I was importing alcohol. Whiskey no less.

From searching in the past, some wines and liquors are sometimes a little cheaper online, but then considering the shipping rates, worrying about handling, etc. balances it out I think. Ordering something special is a different story, but just to save some money I think it is a no go. Because at the end I don't think you save any (of course, always depends on your location, etc. too)

From my experience, no. But I say it's worth it for the fact that it grants you access to beers that you wouldn't otherwise be able to buy locally. For instance....
Dogfish Head - I cannot get it anywhere out here, but I can buy it online. There are plenty of beers that I have yet to try because of geography.
It's not something I do every day, but once in a great while I will do it.

Back