Hangovers - Beer before liquor, etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I don't binge drink very often at all, but I have gotten a bit sick 2 or 3 times in my life. I understand why too much alcohol can cause dehydration, headaches, etc, but what is the science behind why beer can be drunk after liquor, but not before?

For example, we had a company lunch where I drank a couple Crowns with rocks, then 1 Pale Ale. After that we went bowling and someone ordered pitcheres of 3.3% ABV Bud Light. I drank it only before there was nothing else there. I probably drank 24-30 oz. I'm a big guy and all this took place over 3 or 4 hours, so I wasn't buzzed at all.

That same evening, we went to a friend's house and after dinner we made liquid cocaines. I drank maybe 1.5 or 2 oz total, then started on a beer, but my stomach started hurting so bad I couldn't finish the beer. I was completely sober but something was reacting badly in my stomach - how is this explained/avoided. IOW, how can I still drink what I want to without the pain?

I don't binge drink very often at all, but I have gotten a bit sick 2 or 3 times in my life. I understand why too much alcohol can cause dehydration, headaches, etc, but what is the science behind why beer can be drunk after liquor, but not before?

For example, we had a company lunch where I drank a couple Crowns with rocks, then 1 Pale Ale. After that we went bowling and someone ordered pitcheres of 3.3% ABV Bud Light. I drank it only before there was nothing else there. I probably drank 24-30 oz. I'm a big guy and all this took place over 3 or 4 hours, so I wasn't buzzed at all.

That same evening, we went to a friend's house and after dinner we made liquid cocaines. I drank maybe 1.5 or 2 oz total, then started on a beer, but my stomach started hurting so bad I couldn't finish the beer. I was completely sober but something was reacting badly in my stomach - how is this explained/avoided.

Other times I've had 6 or 8 beers and maybe some scotch and still felt fine. It seems a little random to me.
IOW, how can I still drink what I want to without the pain?

Is a "liquid cocaine" a narcotic or just a drink? You have the obvious answer if it was cocaine.

The reasoning behind the proverb is that it's easier on your body to absorb weaker alcoholic drinks, like beer, later in the evening. This probably holds some merit. It's also true that your body tends to process alcohol from carbonated drinks faster. But any piece of advice regarding alcohol consumption that contains the line "never fear" is obviously pretty suspect.

Hangovers are thought to be exacerbated by congeners, which are the chemical compounds responsible for the taste and color of various types of alcohol. Darker drinks, like whiskies and red wines, tend to have more congeners. So, lighter-colored drinks like white wine, vodka, and gin could help those eager to avoid a headache or stomach issues.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/best-hangover-cures-138610/

No, I've never done illegal drugs in my life. Liq cocaine is just 151 proof Barcardi, Rumplemintz, buttershots, Goldslauger, and something else maybe???

The reasoning behind the proverb is that it's easier on your body to absorb weaker alcoholic drinks, like beer, later in the evening. This probably holds some merit.

Having done quantitative research many times on this subject - here's my thoughts.

When you're relatively sober - you don't do very many shots. When you're plastered, it's a lot easier to over induldge on shots - which then commonly the next morning, your twisted logic thinks that "beer before liquor, never sicker" makes sense when in reality, your drunk a$$ just drank more alcohol than you would have if you started with liquor and finished with beer (which is harder to drink, due to volume)

Liquid Cocaine makes people sick....that is what it does....it has to be mixed properly. We make it with Goldschlager and Jagermeister, and for some reason if you drink it warm it makes you very very sick...if you mix it in bulk, in a martini shaker with ice and pour it into shot glasses, it doesn't make you sick so quickly.

No, I've never done illegal drugs in my life. Liq cocaine is just 151 proof Barcardi, Rumplemintz, buttershots, Goldslauger, and something else maybe???

Your better off snorting coke than drinking that concoction.;)

I think I just got a little sick in my mouth thinking of that drink. Id prob drink each one of those alone. But I think Id be better off drinking diesel fuel.

I have something similar as the op. The other day I worked out lifting weights for about 3 hours and then I ran a couple miles and then late in the evening I got the crap beat out of me in a bar fight.

So my question is: Why does lifting weights make my face feel so tender and bruised and gives me a loose tooth. Should I run first before lifting the weights?

I have something similar as the op. The other day I worked out lifting weights for about 3 hours and then I ran a couple miles and then late in the evening I got the crap beat out of me in a bar fight.

So my question is: Why does lifting weights make my face feel so tender and bruised and gives me a loose tooth. Should I run first before lifting the weights?

:cross: great analogy. Yeah I aways thought the beer before liquor get quick sicker was all a bunch of BS. I drink whatever in whatever order and it doesn't make much difference as long as you don't really over do it. Although I'm a big guy and can drink a lot without getting hangovers.

Yeah I don't think there is any merit to that saying really. I've drank beer/liquor at various stages of a night and the same results as just sticking to one type. If you drink a lot, you're going to be hungover, regardless. Unless you play some prevent defense and chug some water / aspirin before bed.

Another one a lot people say is "Ohhh, x liquor gets me wayyyyyy more drunk than y liquor, I need to stay away from x liquor!" I'm pretty sure 40% abv tequila is going to have the same effect as 40% abv whiskey. Alcohol is alcohol.

Thats funny, my buds say "Oh no no no, not tiquila, ill do things."
Even to this day I have friends who believe the worm makes you trip. hehe. Yea, must be an urban legend or something. I think if you drink TOO much, the same always happens ..... you end up worshiping the procelain god and wishing you never drank again ..... Im not good at making promises to myself.

Then again who hasnt hugged their toilet with love and affection. :tank:

Thats funny, my buds say "Oh no no no, not tiquila, ill do things."
Even to this day I have friends who believe the worm makes you trip. hehe. Yea, must be an urban legend or something. I think if you drink TOO much, the same always happens ..... you end up worshiping the procelain god and wishing you never drank again ..... Im not good at making promises to myself.

Then again who hasnt hugged their toilet with love and affection. :tank:

If that is true FNF, then why would I get sick after just one shot of liq cocaine?

Oh I was just refering to what TheCapn22 was saying. Id have to say you prob got sick cause your body was not used to whatever you drank.

Like eating Fish & Milk, i suppose.

Back