Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/)
-   -   Grubs, how to kill them kindly? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/grubs-how-kill-them-kindly-85323/)

ShortSnoutBrewing 10-22-2008 08:42 PM

Grubs, how to kill them kindly?
 
Anyone have any non chemical/pesticide, earth friendly ways of getting rid of grubs?

Tenchiro 10-22-2008 08:47 PM

Attract more birds with some seed, then let them go crazy on the grubs.

HBHoss 10-22-2008 08:48 PM

You could try Horticultural oil.

Bopper 10-22-2008 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenchiro (Post 911672)
Attract more birds with some seed, then let them go crazy on the grubs.

Only problem, is the birds will rip the lawn up along with the grubs...:drunk:

FatDuc 10-22-2008 08:50 PM

How about nematodes?

ShortSnoutBrewing 10-22-2008 08:50 PM

I've actually had a bunch of birds in the yard lately...Of course, I dump my grains out there too so...I've been having mole issues too, that I'm now relating to the grubs.

ShortSnoutBrewing 10-22-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma2brew (Post 911681)

I like that. And the added bonus of being pet friendly and a flea controller. :rockin:

GilaMinumBeer 10-22-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer (Post 911713)
I like that. And the added bonus of being pet friendly and a flea controller. :rockin:

I applied these this year too. 7 million for ~$8. They have to be applied in the evening when there is no direct sunlight but while the air/soil temp is above something like 50*F and then watered in.

According to the packeger of the ones I bought, they will scavenge to a depth of about 10 Inches and need to be watered in. One application lasts 2 years.

There are a number of ways to apply them but the typical practice is to rehydrate them for 30 minutes, mix that with 1 gallon water, and use a garden sprayer on it's coarsest setting.

Mine were packaged with cork crumbles and I guess some of those got through the sieve I used (kitchen strainer) and plugged the dip tube. Took me 20 minutes to clear it.

ShortSnoutBrewing 10-22-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer (Post 911732)
I applied these this year too. 7 million for ~$8. They have to be applied in the evening when there is no direct sunlight but while the air/soil temp is above something like 50*F and then watered in.

eek...that could be a problem. Nights are already starting to get down to the upper 30 here...Mostly lower 40 mark...

GilaMinumBeer 10-22-2008 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilted Brewer (Post 911738)
eek...that could be a problem. Nights are already starting to get down to the upper 30 here...Mostly lower 40 mark...

There is also a white mold in a powdered form, saw a post about that in Hop Growing. Forgot the name. Supoosed to good for like a decade after applied.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.