Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Grilling in Dallas Apts...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
knotquiteawake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Grilling in Dallas Apts...

So I've got a little bit of Christmas money to burn, around $100. So I was thinking of getting a real gas grill. Right now I've just got a stupidly small portable Colman gas grill (I can cook about 1.5 steaks at a time, or 3 hamburgers).
So I was looking at getting a full size one. However, as those of you in Dallas and the surrounding areas know that most apartment complexes have to have a policy of "no grilling on patios" because of a Dallas city ordnance or something like that. I see lots of neighbors with grills on the patios though. I don't see them using them often, but they definitely wouldn't be able to move them 15 feet from the building if they did.
I think I want this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_296447-49769-3001_4294857754_4294937087_?productId=3031229&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Gas%2BGrills_4294857754_429493708 7_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_q uantity_sold|1
good reviews, good price, but i'm worried about buying something like that and then having someone complain and the mgmt make me put it away. I REALLY like BBQing though. Back when I lived in house in college we'd BBQ as often as possible.

So any of you in and around Dallas or areas with similar "regulations" have any experience going ahead and BBQing on your patio anyways? Seems that gas is a much safer bet than charcoal, also I've got a fire extinguisher.

Also, any BBQ nuts have opinions on that grill? Seems like a good balance or cheap and useful.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
I see lots of neighbors with grills on the patios though. I don't see them using them often, but they definitely wouldn't be able to move them 15 feet from the building if they did.
I have never gotten away with anything in my life. If I lit a candle on the balcony, I would get caught and canned. Don't do it. Join a local brew group and offer to split supplies and work for 1/2 of the beer with someone that has equipment. Maybe you can BBQ at new friends house. Save your money and build an electric system you can use in your apt.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 34

No comment to your question.

Let me save you $$$$ if i may. Go to www.lowes.com/moving and sign up for the moving coupon. In a couple days they will email you coupon for 10% off your next purchase.

Next time im in Dallas you owe me a beer

Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1607 Times on 530 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
So I've got a little bit of Christmas money to burn, around $100. So I was thinking of getting a real gas grill. Right now I've just got a stupidly small portable Colman gas grill (I can cook about 1.5 steaks at a time, or 3 hamburgers).
So I was looking at getting a full size one. However, as those of you in Dallas and the surrounding areas know that most apartment complexes have to have a policy of "no grilling on patios" because of a Dallas city ordnance or something like that. I see lots of neighbors with grills on the patios though. I don't see them using them often, but they definitely wouldn't be able to move them 15 feet from the building if they did.
I think I want this one http://www.lowes.com/pd_296447-49769-3001_4294857754_4294937087_?productId=3031229&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity _sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Gas%2BGrills_4294857754_429493708 7_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_q uantity_sold|1
good reviews, good price, but i'm worried about buying something like that and then having someone complain and the mgmt make me put it away. I REALLY like BBQing though. Back when I lived in house in college we'd BBQ as often as possible.

So any of you in and around Dallas or areas with similar "regulations" have any experience going ahead and BBQing on your patio anyways? Seems that gas is a much safer bet than charcoal, also I've got a fire extinguisher.

Also, any BBQ nuts have opinions on that grill? Seems like a good balance or cheap and useful.
The tanks explode, fire fighters die, that's why they are illegal. I don't know if they cause fires, I mean they do, but the issue lies in explosions.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

2003 International Fire Code

308.3.1 Open Flame cooking devices:

Charcoal burners and other open flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction.

308.3.1.1 Liquefied-petroleum-gas-fueled cooking devices:

LP-gas burners having an LP-gas container with a water capacity greater than 2.5 pounds shall not be located on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction.

These laws were written because people died. Just saying.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm not questioning the legality of BBQing within 10 feet of a combustible structure/patio.

I was asking for anecdotal advice from persons who have lived in apartments and desired to BBQ on their Apartment balcony, wondering if their apt mgmt told them to pack it up, if their tanks exploded, ect...

Besides, BBQing within 10 feet of your own house has the same implied risk that BBQing within 10 feet of my apartment. Unless your house is brick and your roof is tile. If your deck is wood you are running the same risk as BBQing on an apartment patio.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:39 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4638 Times on 4319 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake View Post
Besides, BBQing within 10 feet of your own house has the same implied risk that BBQing within 10 feet of my apartment. Unless your house is brick and your roof is tile. If your deck is wood you are running the same risk as BBQing on an apartment patio.
Yes and no.

One and Two family dwellings are excepted by the International Building Code.

Multi-family, i.e apartment buildings are not.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
Mandy11
Recipes 

Default Dallas Fort Worth Apartments

If you are watching for perfect apartment then you have surly visit to A OK Apartment Locators. Guarantee to fulfill your dream.
Dallas Fort Worth Apartments
A OK Apartment Locators has serviced the needs of thousands of people searching for Dallas, Texas apartments. Our friendly, fast and personalized service can help you find the apartment, loft or townhome rental you've been looking for.

Quick Reply