Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A GREAT score AND a general update

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default A GREAT score AND a general update

Firstly, while at work at the end of June I had a subdural hemorrhage (brain bleed) -I was very lucky because I was already working in the ER when it happened -it was a decent size bleed and produced enough pressure to push my brain a centimeter past midline. I was incredibly lucky since I've made a full recovery. I take coumadin (among other things) for severe dilated cardiomyopathy (very weak heart but was not due to heart disease. It was courtesy of getting a virus that wrecked it back when I used to work in critical care).
Anyway, on July 1st I underwent a craniotomy to relieve the pressure, they kept that part of my skull on ice (I hope to get it replaced in two more months).
Ok, thats 'background'. Today I was at my doctors office for a follow-up/progress report (a week ago, I sprung a leak at one of the surgical sites and was leaking cerebro-spinal fluid, had to go to emergency and have it sewn up again -finally got all of the stitches and staples out! ). While I was chatting with him, I asked him to keep an ear open for an unwanted Oxygen bottle (was looking for the kind used in oxy-acetylene cutting) and just before I was about to leave, he told me to wait a min., He had a medical O2 bottle, regulator and caddie that he wasn't using anymore (it was a spare) and I'd be welcome to it -he figured it was empty and if I needed a script to get it filled (I doubt welding gas outfits would have the right adapters to use the fill port on these -they aren't like the ones used in industrial settings) -I cracked open the bottle and it registered over a thousand pounds! Since I use about 2-4LPM for only 20secs (and a diffusion stone of course) this bottle should last ages!
SWEET!

imag0192.jpg   post-op-icu.jpg   post-craniotomy.staples-removed.jpg   craniotomy-scar-side_view.jpg  

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
LAGERING/CONDITIONING:Simply Sweet Mead
Kegged: Big Bad Brown Ale (Brown Ale and Porter blend).
Bottled:

Plans: Oak-Smoked Porter, Honey Brown Ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbiker View Post
Firstly, while at work at the end of June I had a subdural hemorrhage (brain bleed) -I was very lucky because I was already working in the ER when it happened -it was a decent size bleed and produced enough pressure to push my brain a centimeter past midline. I was incredibly lucky since I've made a full recovery. I take coumadin (among other things) for severe dilated cardiomyopathy (very weak heart but was not due to heart disease. It was courtesy of getting a virus that wrecked it back when I used to work in critical care).
Anyway, on July 1st I underwent a craniotomy to relieve the pressure, they kept that part of my skull on ice (I hope to get it replaced in two more months).
Ok, thats 'background'. Today I was at my doctors office for a follow-up/progress report (a week ago, I sprung a leak at one of the surgical sites and was leaking cerebro-spinal fluid, had to go to emergency and have it sewn up again -finally got all of the stitches and staples out! ). While I was chatting with him, I asked him to keep an ear open for an unwanted Oxygen bottle (was looking for the kind used in oxy-acetylene cutting) and just before I was about to leave, he told me to wait a min., He had a medical O2 bottle, regulator and caddie that he wasn't using anymore (it was a spare) and I'd be welcome to it -he figured it was empty and if I needed a script to get it filled (I doubt welding gas outfits would have the right adapters to use the fill port on these -they aren't like the ones used in industrial settings) -I cracked open the bottle and it registered over a thousand pounds! Since I use about 2-4LPM for only 20secs (and a diffusion stone of course) this bottle should last ages!
SWEET!
Awesome score man! Sorry about the health problems i know how that is, tho mine are no where NEAR as serious as yours, mine cant kill me, just cause a buttload of pain.

The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
(a week ago, I sprung a leak at one of the surgical sites and was leaking cerebro-spinal fluid

Cheers to your continued recovery my man

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2019 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1107

WOW! That is a great scar! Glad to hear you are doing much better now. An O2 stone is something I've been thinking about picking up myself. Although I do get pretty good results without much more than shaking or dropping wort from bucket height, I wonder how much better the yeast would be with an airstone.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Wow, I wish you a speedy recovery! You seem to be doing well and taking it well!

Also congrats on the score!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #6
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
WOW! That is a great scar! Glad to hear you are doing much better now. An O2 stone is something I've been thinking about picking up myself. Although I do get pretty good results without much more than shaking or dropping wort from bucket height, I wonder how much better the yeast would be with an airstone.
For a while I was using the stone and an aquarium pump (which works great, really -it just takes a bit more time but there isn't any rush anyway). The stone is definitely worth it.
SWMBO bought me this SS stone that is attached to a long SS tube (which accepts O2 tubing) -before she got me the stone, I was using one of those diffusion stones you use in fish tanks (they're cheap, but you need to weigh 'em down because they tended to float)

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
Bottled:

Quote:
we do it for the love of beer! Not for the love of money! We can all make great BEER! Not so much when it comes to money!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 832

Cool score, I hope you feel better.

My Instagram

Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Nightbiker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks. Yeah I actually feel quite good. I was extremely fortunate -no neuro-deficits which is pretty rare. I was lucky as hell, really, to have been at work in the ER when it happened (instead of either at home or on the motorcycle). I was in the ICU 8 days -weak as a baby when I got out (slept a lot like one too-haha). SWMBO has been great this whole time -I certainly would not have done as well otherwise.

GOT BEER?
FERMENTING:
Bottled:

Quote:

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
jd3
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Be advised that most gas suppliers can fill it. Linweld and air gas in our area can fill them. Linweld fills them for me without a script, since all it is is hepa filtered oxygen.

Quick Reply