Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #41
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Hey, I've seen the hottub video....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #42
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Well, the great Swami and I did an exchange recently (he screwed me royally by sending twice as many cigars as agreed ) and I busted into the selection tonight:

Padilla Habano...not sure the exact title of this one, but it seems like a robusta larga. In any case, this was one smooth smoke. The pre-burn aroma was very similar to a Cuban (if I were to know), nice barnyardiness to it. I fired it up in my normal MO by lighting the edge of the foot before starting to puff it and was rewarded with a perfect burn all the way to the nub...this is a well constructed cigar. The first few puffs were slightly woody and a bit earthy, but not overbearingly so. The cigar never gave even the slightest hint of acridness until I burned my thumb nubbing it. The body increased little by little but the harshness never kicked it as it burned down. I got a great 1'10" out of it and will definitely be looking for some more of these...it was right up my alley.

A++++ would smoke again.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #43
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

I also wanted to mention (apparently in a separate post) that the JR weekly special this week is one of my favorite madura cigars, the Montecristo Buena Fortuna Peruviana. Basically, by a Monty ashtray and get 5 of the cigars. This is really only worth it if you need an ashtray. I haven't tried the EMS version.

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?page=weekly_specials

Old 11-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #44
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Well, the great Swami and I did an exchange recently (he screwed me royally by sending twice as many cigars as agreed ) and I busted into the selection tonight:

Padilla Habano...not sure the exact title of this one, but it seems like a robusta larga. In any case, this was one smooth smoke. The pre-burn aroma was very similar to a Cuban (if I were to know), nice barnyardiness to it. I fired it up in my normal MO by lighting the edge of the foot before starting to puff it and was rewarded with a perfect burn all the way to the nub...this is a well constructed cigar. The first few puffs were slightly woody and a bit earthy, but not overbearingly so. The cigar never gave even the slightest hint of acridness until I burned my thumb nubbing it. The body increased little by little but the harshness never kicked it as it burned down. I got a great 1'10" out of it and will definitely be looking for some more of these...it was right up my alley.

A++++ would smoke again.
Nice review, Baron. I too am fond of these. I first tried them maybe two months ago, and I plan to buy a box when I get a little more room in my humidor. I just filled the last space in it with a box of Padrón serie 1964 Anniversario Monarcas Maduros.

If you haven't yet tried the Padilla Miami, I recommend it as well. I enjoyed it as much as the Habano.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:46 AM   #45
Beeratier
Recipes 

With OpusX and Padrón you can't go wrong. Padróns are beautiful in every way and OpusX's are strong and bold. Both have amazing flavor and aroma.

"I don't have education, I have inspiration and if I was educated I'd be a damn fool." - Bob Marley

Old 11-26-2006, 01:51 AM   #46
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
If you haven't yet tried the Padilla Miami, I recommend it as well. I enjoyed it as much as the Habano.
Sent him one of those, too. It's my favorite. A bit stronger all around than the Habano....hopefully that's not a problem.

Glad you liked it, Billy! And just to clarify, there was no "agreed upon" amount. I just went a little nuts is all. Billy was all over it in the quality dept!!
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 11-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #47
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeratier
With OpusX and Padrón you can't go wrong. Padróns are beautiful in every way and OpusX's are strong and bold. Both have amazing flavor and aroma.
I like both, esp. the Padron 1926 line. A bit pricy for me to smoke daily, though. I've only had one Opus X.....the xXx. Good, but not sure if it was worth the $$. I have a couple more resting for further testing.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #48
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Might have to bust into the Miami here tonight or tomorrow just to get a back-to-back comparison.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:59 AM   #49
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't smoke cigars much anymore since my asthma started getting bad. I still enjoy a nice smoke on a rare occasion. Just got back from a trip to Mexico and enjoyed a couple cuban Cohibas. Back when I smoked regularly some of my favorites were Arturo Fuente 8-5-8, Arturo Fuente Churchill, Macanudo Rothschild to name a few. If any of you are looking for a great place to buy from I always had great luck with Mike's Cigars (www.mikescigars.com) and JR Cigars (www.jrcigar.com) both places have a great stock, decent prices and excellent customer service.

Old 12-02-2006, 06:38 AM   #50
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So last night I smoked the La Gloria Cubana BeeGee sent me. I'm not sure of its full name....I know it's one of their "Reservas," and may be called a "Felicias." He can clear that up. Anyway, it was a beautiful little perfecto, with what appeared to be a cameroon wrapper. I love perfectos.

It burned perfectly, and is what I'd describe as solidly medium bodied. Very nicely balanced flavor with what I can only describe as a faint herbal/floral flavor and aroma. Put out ample smoke. Very well executed, but I can't say I was a huge fan of that "herbalness".

Very fine little cigar, but probably not one I'd smoke often. Would be nice as a very occaisonal smoke for a change of pace. It's not always good to judge a cigar based on only one smoke.....luckily I have another. I can appreciate that this is a fine little stogie......just not entirely my kind of smoke. I may also add that I had a Camacho Negro beforehand, so that likely skewed my pallette (such as it is) a little.

Thanks BeeGee! Maybe I'll get to that Edge this weekend. I've had them before, but never done a writeup. I know I like 'em.

Quick Reply