Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #441
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr View Post
I know I almost always have something dark and roasty on hand. Not specifically for pairing with Cigars but because I love a good roasty brew. It's a nice coincidence that they pair so well with a good stick! I would almost say I prefer it to pairing with scotch but I got to say its a pretty close competition when I have a bottle of Lagavulin 18 in the cabinet.
Lagavulin puts out an 18 now...sweet baby Jesus, I must have!

IME roasty and sweet go the best with a stick so coffee, dark ales, smokey scotches, and soda. But usually coffee for me so I don't get nictoine sick

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #442
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppyDaze View Post
This is what I'm talking about...When I was in St. Lucia it was not hard to come by great cigars. They weren't cheap $10 Cohibas; but my lord were they tasty. Then again, they are legal in St. Lucia. I assumed being so close to Cuba there might be some sort of market for them.

Looks like it does not matter; you guys can probably point me in the right direction when it comes time to get a couple stogies for the trip...
Yeah, a big ol black market. There is a certification or something (can't remember right now) that means a shop carries the real deal. Look it up and then find shops in the area you are visiting so you know you aren't getting ripped off.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #443
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff

Lagavulin puts out an 18 now...sweet baby Jesus, I must have!

IME roasty and sweet go the best with a stick so coffee, dark ales, smokey scotches, and soda. But usually coffee for me so I don't get nictoine sick
Technically yes they have put out an 18 year old. It was one of the distillers choice bottles and I have had it but when I typed that it was a mistake... I fairly regularly keep a bottle of laga 16 and I consider it my scotch of choice!

I don't really like soda but a good smokey scotch or a roasty beer are what I always like to pair with a nice stick.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #444
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 526

I'm in the same boat. I mostly smoke Maduro wrappers so the sweet, smokey, roasty, chocolatey favors are what I aim for with my drink pairings. Though lately I've been digging pairing my LP9s with Glenlivet 15 which isn't peaty at all. Otherwise it's usually water, coffee, dark beers, highland scotch, or a good bourbon.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #445
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr View Post
Technically yes they have put out an 18 year old. It was one of the distillers choice bottles and I have had it but when I typed that it was a mistake... I fairly regularly keep a bottle of laga 16 and I consider it my scotch of choice!

I don't really like soda but a good smokey scotch or a roasty beer are what I always like to pair with a nice stick.
Crap, now I will go home and cry at not getting an 18. I'm a big fan of the 16 myself. I ask you this though, do you think it has lost a little something over the last decade?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #446
mcwilcr
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff

Crap, now I will go home and cry at not getting an 18. I'm a big fan of the 16 myself. I ask you this though, do you think it has lost a little something over the last decade?
I really can't answer that question since I only discovered it about 6 years ago and have only bought 4 bottles over the last few years. I can say that I have never noticed a drastic difference between the bottles I have had and that the price just keeps going up from what I used to be able to buy a bottle for around $70 to what is now a $120 bottle... Too much more of that and I am going to start sampling some cheap scotches to find something else I like.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 AM   #447
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I've actually heard from a few long time scotch fans that scotch hasn't been as good lately as it has in the past. I also don't have 30 years of drinking scotch under my belt so I can't really relate to know how true it is or not.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

Old 12-19-2012, 03:16 AM   #448
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Ugh, I felt like 'that guy' tonight. It was our Christmas party and we barely managed to get a babysitter so I was on a timer as soon as we arrived. I was handed a Kuba Kuba within 10 minutes, then a crazy Gurkha in a glass tube 10 minutes later. Couldn't enjoy either with the fellas because of the babysitting situation.

So... Here I am smoking a different Gurkha in my pajamas freezing in front of my house thinking about how to pay the guys back. I owe them for sure.

Old 12-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #449
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy
Ugh, I felt like 'that guy' tonight. It was our Christmas party and we barely managed to get a babysitter so I was on a timer as soon as we arrived. I was handed a Kuba Kuba within 10 minutes, then a crazy Gurkha in a glass tube 10 minutes later. Couldn't enjoy either with the fellas because of the babysitting situation.

So... Here I am smoking a different Gurkha in my pajamas freezing in front of my house thinking about how to pay the guys back. I owe them for sure.
As a dad myself I feel for ya brother. They should understand, though its still frustrating. There's always time to repay the favor....unless the world really does end this Friday lol

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #450
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

If it does, I'll be smoking that Kuba Kuba when it goes down!

Quick Reply