Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #391
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I'm finally enjoying that Ghurka Beast now. I had to put it down for a bit to run out for a job, but I'm back. Much smoother than I expected and a nice peppery finish.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #392
Brewskii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 65 Posts

There are 2 things that really make a cigar good in my experience; 1)Flavor and, 2)construction

It's got to be a flavorful smoke that is very well built and smokes well because it's more of a tactile experience due to the time commitment in enjoying a great hand made cigar.

A truly great cigar will have both but there have been sticks that have won me over strictly because they are so well made and consistent.

The Nub line is one such example. To me, there flavor is good for all of the line that I've tried (Cameroon, Maduro, Connecticut, and maybe another one but I can't think of it) but the consistency and construction in making a 4" pyramid smoke for an hour and a half and as even as it can be, is amazing to me -every time. There are other sizes and I've tried them all but the 464 pyramids are my personal fav.

Annoying cigars to me that loose all their points based on construction would include 5 Vegas Gold (in every size I've tried) and the Acid blue Deep Dish. These company's both make cigars that I adore but these examples are just poorly made.

I order samplers a LOT so I have smoked a huge variety of what's out there. I have my fav's but it's a personal thing at that level like beer, not all of it is for everyone.

CASA Magna corojo and the new 5 Vegas high primings are some of my new favorites at the moment and if you haven't tried the CuAvana Punisher, hold onto your effin hat!

Old 12-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #393
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 505 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I agree for the most part. Though I'd have to say flavor is the more important factor, at least for me. A good example is the 601 Green Label.... Great flavor, nice easy draw, but it burns a little wavy. The slightly uneven burn is something I don't mind much though because it tastes so good. On the other end, if a smoke had no complexity, dull to non existent flavors, but burned dead even the whole way.... I would probably never smoke another just because it was well constructed. It's definitely the combo of the 2 that make a great cigar.

Check out cigarhustler.com IMO they have the best sampler packs at a great price. They also have some really good samplers that include some really hard to find sticks.. Like the Dirty Rat sampler.

I'm about to set up everything to brew a chocolate stout and I'm trying to decide between smoking a Padron 5000, God of Fire Carlito Blend, or a Headley Grange. Suggestions anyone?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Empty
On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #394
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

These J&R knockoffs just keep surprising me! I'm having an Edicion Limitada right now that easily gives the Gurkha from last night a run for its money. My Lt gets these for less than $2!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 AM   #395
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Nothin beats a solid smoke at an affordable price.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Pumpkin Pie Cider, Cash Rules Everything Around Me CREAM Ale, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #396
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1754 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2975

When I was smoking (and making a lot more money than I am now) I used to pop into the big J&R store on 5th Ave. Behind the counter was a guy at least 10-20 years my senior, Mike. I wonder if he's still around. Anyway it got to the point where I had my favorites (Por Laranagas when they were still made of Hondoran filler) and sometimes I would just want a surprise. I'd say things like "hey Mike, having a lousy day and I want a cigar to make up for it," that sort of thing, and he'd always come through. Towards the end of my smoking he was steering me away from the more expensive stuff and towards the knock offs. "If I'm paying with my money, Jimmy, these are the ones I'm buying."

Not coincidently, Mike was one of three people in my life I didnt resent for calling me "Jimmy".

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #397
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

That whole store if gone I believe. I get my J&R stuff from one of the Jersey stores. It's like 10 minutes from my in-laws house. My Lt orders J&R online.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #398
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1754 Times on 1216 Posts
Likes Given: 2975

They closed J&R? What a shame.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #399
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
When I was smoking (and making a lot more money than I am now) I used to pop into the big J&R store on 5th Ave. Behind the counter was a guy at least 10-20 years my senior, Mike. I wonder if he's still around. Anyway it got to the point where I had my favorites (Por Laranagas when they were still made of Hondoran filler) and sometimes I would just want a surprise. I'd say things like "hey Mike, having a lousy day and I want a cigar to make up for it," that sort of thing, and he'd always come through. Towards the end of my smoking he was steering me away from the more expensive stuff and towards the knock offs. "If I'm paying with my money, Jimmy, these are the ones I'm buying."

Not coincidently, Mike was one of three people in my life I didnt resent for calling me "Jimmy".
I'm lucky to be in a similar situation. The owner of my favorite B&M and one of the employees both have similar taste to myself. So they always come through with great recommendations. They too steer me towards the mid priced sticks that smoke top notch. Though they do let me know when the good stuff is in like the Añejo sharks they just had.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 12-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #400
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

I just smoked one of my knockoffs while walking my dog in the woods. We're have a big dinner of slow cooked ribs and stuffed venison meatloaf tonight, but unfortunately afterwards I'll be too busy helping my wife put the kids to sleep to have one. Nothing wrong with doing it before.

Funny story. I'm walking in this small woods near my house. I never see anyone there. Today I encounter two men about 100ft east of me looking at some random small tree. They take off running when they see me. I thought they were trying to circle around so I moved my jacket away from my handgun and called my dog back. They did circle around, but they kept walking out of the woods to the south of me. Really strange. When I walked over to the tree, I could see that they were hacking at it, but not really trying to cut it down. Weird.

My first thought was "Thank god I'm smoking a cheap cigar just in case I have to toss it and pull out my gun."

Quick Reply