Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #361
joshbhs04
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
My humidor has been swinging widely in this cold snap. Good thing I don't have anything pricey in there. I need to bring it to the bedroom with the humidifier. One xikar gel disk(250 ct) was holding it in the low 60s%. Added floral foam and it jumped to high 70s%. Hopefully it will stabilize in the middle. Might not be a bad idea to recalibrate the hygrometer.
Just make a wineador hahaha.
On deck-
Meet Davey Jones in the Deep (huna tribute)
Fauxtoberfest
Hefeeeeeeeee

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #362
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I thought about turning on one of my ferm fridges and setting the whole humidor(40-50 stick) in there.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #363
KeyWestBrewing
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 446 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
I thought about turning on one of my ferm fridges and setting the whole humidor(40-50 stick) in there.
As long as the humidoty is right. Seems to work well for many on Puff. Then again I don't recall people really talking about temp, more about RH. Except for the 70@70 thing. From what I've read though, your sticks are more tolerant to temp swings than you'd think.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #364
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin
My humidor has been swinging widely in this cold snap. Good thing I don't have anything pricey in there. I need to bring it to the bedroom with the humidifier. One xikar gel disk(250 ct) was holding it in the low 60s%. Added floral foam and it jumped to high 70s%. Hopefully it will stabilize in the middle. Might not be a bad idea to recalibrate the hygrometer.
Give your hygrometer time to adjust and stabilize as you mentioned. Also remember to calibrate your hygrometer at least twice year and change the batteries(if its digital) once a year. I use beads so I'm not sure how the disk works, but you may just need to give the disk a little bit of DW and be fine.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #365
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Give your hygrometer time to adjust and stabilize as you mentioned. Also remember to calibrate your hygrometer at least twice year and change the batteries(if its digital) once a year. I use beads so I'm not sure how the disk works, but you may just need to give the disk a little bit of DW and be fine.
A thought for Jeep is to consider heartfelt beads...I did a bit of research when I set mine up and started with kitty litter, but it was too hard to get the balance I wanted. I then went to heartfelt but even two blue tubes in my 100 ct seemed to dry up too quick (just can't get a really good humi without shelling out tons of money) so now I use the two heartfelt keeping them relatively dry and a little scoop of kitty litter that is saturated. The moisture slowly gets released from the kitty litter and the 65%RH beads suck it in so I get really long term stability...have to add a little DW once every 2-3 months now. If I get a chance and there is interest I will try to remember to post a pic of my setup if it would be of help for those setting theirs up.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #366
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
You should be fine, just remember the fridge will dry things out pretty quick and that temp and residual humidity is something to consider...maybe if an HVAC pro is on here they can give the details, but the gist of my understanding is that moisture saturation points differ with temperature so that for example 65% RH at 40 degrees is different than 65% RH at 70 degrees. The long story short, as I am working on building an aging cabinet for my beer and wine I had the thought of using it for my cigars too, realized that 50-55 degree environment would not be very good for my sticks...so my desktop humi will remain in my house.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #367
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would have turned the fridge up to 70F. And yes, %moisture and %RH are different. % moisture is actual water content. %RH is a % of maximum water content at a temperature. That is my rudimentary understanding, being I am neither a meteorologist nor a HVAC tech.

My humidification device is a Xikar gel puck. They make them in different shapes and sizes for different sized humidors. This one is the same size as a small analog hygrometer. I think it is supposed to uptake excess moisture as well as giving it off. It very well may be a case of glycol saturation and simply needs some DW.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #368
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
...(just can't get a really good humi without shelling out tons of money)...
I got very, very lucky with my humidor. My uncle had to quit smoking due to a heart attack so he gave me his very, very expensive desktop 50ct humidor. This thing holds humidity so well that if I mess up and go overboard with refills, it takes me weeks to get it back to normal. I'm going to start using those baggies real soon that are set for specific numbers.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #369
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalCracker View Post
I've been dying for a cigar, can't smoke in the house and it's been too cold to sit on the deck. Might have to come up with a project that puts me in the garage.
I hear ya. I smoked a stick on the deck the weekend after Halloween and that was pushing it.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:13 AM   #370
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

You guys gotta move down here, its 70f right now. Great smoking and brewing weather.

EAC - 5/2/14

Quick Reply