Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 AM   #21
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Just placed an order for a box of LA GLORIA CUBANA LGF RESERVA FIGURADOS FELICIAS (cut and paste, sorry). After a few singles, I really like these. Plus, the size is perfect for my limited schedule at the moment. That and they look cool.

Anyways, definitely a medium flavor/body cigar that'll give you 30-45 minutes depending on your vigor.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #22
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Had a Sancho Panza with some cognac on Saturday night at a "formal affair." Great smoke, especially for the price. Not sure of the cognac brand...it was on the house.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:56 AM   #23
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage
Not sure of the cognac brand...it was on the house.
That's the best kind...

Old 11-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #24
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

I love the R&J's, all the types I've had. I LOOOVE a good R& with a glass of Maker Mark. I wish it would warm up just a little so I could enjoy a cigar and a bourbon on our new patio.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:25 AM   #25
cha ngo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like Arturo Fuentes I have had.
Puros Indios are good for me.
Henry Clays.
Punch.

All fairly cheap (like myself).

Old 11-06-2006, 01:30 AM   #26
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Just placed an order for a box of LA GLORIA CUBANA LGF RESERVA FIGURADOS FELICIAS (cut and paste, sorry). After a few singles, I really like these. Plus, the size is perfect for my limited schedule at the moment. That and they look cool.

Anyways, definitely a medium flavor/body cigar that'll give you 30-45 minutes depending on your vigor.
I ran across some of those for sale online earlier. They're a lot cheaper than I thought, and look damn good. I love figurados, esp. perfectos. I would have bought some, but I blew my cigar budget for the month. I'd be glad to do a trade for a couple, though, if there's something in particular you'd like to try.

I love Sancho Panza Super Fuertes.....one of the best deals going, IMO. I intended to buy a box of the torpedos this week, but spent my $$ elsewhere. I'll probably regret it.
Gone unsung for far too long

Old 11-06-2006, 02:05 AM   #27
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Shoot me a PM with pertinent info!

I'm a little bit put out because I haven't had time to light one of these up yet, and they're not a long smoke. By the time things settle down on the homefront I'm passing out from exhaustion on the sofa.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:18 AM   #28
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Currently in my humidor: Ashton Maduro 50 Churchill, Ashton Vintage Cabinet #7, Ashton Vintage Cabinet Belicoso, Ashton Vintage Cabinet Pyramid, Ashton Heritage Puro Sol Corona Gorda, 2002 Camacho Corojo Churchill, Padron 3000 Maduro, Padilla Miami, Padilla Habano, Joya de Nicaragua Antaño Belicoso, Romeo y Julieta Medallos de Oro Vintage VI pyramid, Perdomo Vintage Reserva Pyramid #2 Maduro (one left, from 2001), Arturo Fuente Reserva Añejo #46 (four left, from 2001).

I had a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño while grilling today.

Last edited by disaffected; 11-06-2006 at 03:22 AM.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #29
puravida286
Recipes 

Whats a good rule of thumb when buying a decent cigar for someone who knows nothing about them...is the price a tell-tale sign? I'm supposing anything above the $8 mark has to be decent...

Old 11-06-2006, 04:04 AM   #30
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida286
Whats a good rule of thumb when buying a decent cigar for someone who knows nothing about them...is the price a tell-tale sign? I'm supposing anything above the $8 mark has to be decent...
Price is not an absolute guide, but it is a general indicator of quality usually. Sometimes prices vary depending on where you live, as some cigars are not distributed everywhere. Some faddish cigars are high priced because the sellers can get away with it. Frankly, I'd never buy a cognac-infused glass tubo cigar. Expensive, and almost always a disappointing smoke. You will be looking for good quality hand rolled hand made long filler leaf cigars with good wrapper leafs from the Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Jamaica, Honduras. There are other cigar producing countries. The cigars from Jamaica and the Dominican Republic are probably the most popular. Honduran and Nicaraguan cigars tend to be strong.

Best thing to do is to go to a good cigar shop and talk to a knowledgeable tobacconist. Go somewhere that has a walk-in humidor that is properly conditioned (70 degrees, 70% relative humidity). A store that does good business will usually have more than a hundred different types of cigars in open boxes, and stacks and stacks of sealed boxes in stock.

It should smell good in the humidor, not funky/moldy. If you see dry busted wrappers or feel any clammy wetness in the air or smell anything unpleasant, go elsewhere.

If cigars are the store's main business, you are probably pretty safe. The folks at the liquor stores and discount cigarette stores usually know nothing about cigars, and their stock will be limited and probably not properly cared for.

Ask the tobacconist to help you pick something that burns evenly and well, has a good draw that is not too tight nor too loose, and is mild. Seriously, don't go in and ask for a strong cigar. Tell the tobacconist you have no experience with cigars. If he's a good tobacconist, he'll ask you a few other questions, perhaps, and lead you to a high quality mild cigar. There are some of the stronger cigars that can make you puke if you're not used to smoking cigars.

The standard line of Ashton's (not the stronger Cabinet Vintage series) are a pretty safe bet, as are most of the natural Macanudo's, and most cigars in a light-colored smooth Connecticut shade wrapper. They tend to be milder than the colorado (reddish) wrapped cigars and the maduros (dark brown, or black wrapper).

There are many good cigars in the $5 range, so they're not all expensive. Size affects price too. A short fat robusto will cost less than a churchill rolled from the exact same tobacco. Figure on about 45 minutes smoking time for a 5 inch long by 50 ring gauge robusto, and 1.5 hours for a good churchill, to even two hours for a big fat 55 ring gauge double corona. That double corona might cost three times what a robusto from the exact same line will cost.

Also, I think a 48 to 52 ring gauge is about right for most people. That's fatter than a typical corona or lonsdale (42 ring gauge), but the extra thickness makes for a cooler smoke, usually. My favorite cigars are 48 to 50 ring gauge. 52 is getting to be a mouthful.

Ask your tobacconist to explain to you proper smoking technique. The most important thing is to make sure you don't chew the end of your cigar or get it sloppy wet and yucky, and don't smoke fast. Fast smoking is hot smoking, and will scorch your tongue. Don't inhale, ever. Cigars are nothing like cigarettes, and if you inhale, you will be choking.

Last edited by disaffected; 11-06-2006 at 04:17 AM.
gl_az Likes This 

Quick Reply