Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #241
Curtis2010
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cool, stogies and brew, two of my favorite subjects!

I first seriously tried Cigars while in Cuba. I was not a smoker, but it would just not be right to visit Cuba without trying their famous cigars (same could be said of Cuban women...but my wife did not buy that argument! ). A Monte Cristo #2 and a Mojito became our regular evening cocktail combination....after which I usually nodded off in the cockpit of the boat and woke up in the wee hours of the night.

I did not know jack about cigars when I first tried them, but in Cuba it was hard to purchase a bad cigar...even the counterfeit/contraband smokes you can buy on the street were pretty damn good. But, I soon discovered that it was easy to buy crappy cigars back in the USA...and thus began my eduction.

Now, my personal preference is very dark robustos. I like the dark rich taste and the typical smoke time (2-3 beers) of the robusto size.

My overall favorite is the Partagas 1845 Black Label....although there are lots of second place contenders.

I've lived in Central America (Belize & Guatemala) since 2005. Ironically, it can sometimes be a challenge to find a good cigar here because most of the good stuff is exported. Although, I did find some very nice cigars on a recent trip through Grenada, Nicaragua at Dona Elba's cigar factory. They gave me a very good maduro to sample and a nice glass of Flor de Cana rum to go along with it. See http://www.elbacigars.com/. And, it would be hard to find a more suitable venue to partake of a good puro and a cocktail than scenic Grenada...a still beautiful colonial era city on Lake Nicaragua....like a nostalgic trip back in time.

partagas-1845-black-label.jpg   sdc10302.jpg   sdc10295.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #242
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 543

Nick, while the white stuff could have been plume.... I'd still never give that B&M my time of day again. He should have asked you your preference in taste then advised you as to what fit that. Try a Fuente Hemingway if you can find em and see what you think of those.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/cascades-key-west-333466/

Primary : Mosaic Cream ale
Primary : Simcoe Cream Ale
Primary : Soon to be filled
On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #243
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis2010
Cool, stogies and brew, two of my favorite subjects!

I first seriously tried Cigars while in Cuba. I was not a smoker, but it would just not be right to visit Cuba without trying their famous cigars (same could be said of Cuban women...but my wife did not buy that argument! ). A Monte Cristo #2 and a Mojito became our regular evening cocktail combination....after which I usually nodded off in the cockpit of the boat and woke up in the wee hours of the night.

I did not know jack about cigars when I first tried them, but in Cuba it was hard to purchase a bad cigar...even the counterfeit/contraband smokes you can buy on the street were pretty damn good. But, I soon discovered that it was easy to buy crappy cigars back in the USA...and thus began my eduction.

Now, my personal preference is very dark robustos. I like the dark rich taste and the typical smoke time (2-3 beers) of the robusto size.

My overall favorite is the Partagas 1845 Black Label....although there are lots of second place contenders.

I've lived in Central America (Belize & Guatemala) since 2005. Ironically, it can sometimes be a challenge to find a good cigar here because most of the good stuff is exported. Although, I did find some very nice cigars on a recent trip through Grenada, Nicaragua at Dona Elba's cigar factory. They gave me a very good maduro to sample and a nice glass of Flor de Cana rum to go along with it. See http://www.elbacigars.com/. And, it would be hard to find a more suitable venue to partake of a good puro and a cocktail than scenic Grenada...a still beautiful colonial era city on Lake Nicaragua....like a nostalgic trip back in time.
I've had my fair share of Cuban women and found I like em like I like my cigars. Great while they are there and gone when I'm done lol. Have you ever tried Joya De Nicaragua's? They are great and their 1970 Antano is one of my favorite smokes. Check out some online retailers, the shipping is bound cost more but you can probably find a few that can ship you some good smokes. My favorite cigars tend to be Nicaraguan blends, I can only imagine having one in the setting you did would make it that much better. And lastly, Flor De Cana is good stuff, the plastic thing over the pourer though always gives me a hassle.

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Edicion Regionales Inglaterra

Old 10-31-2012, 07:01 PM   #244
joshbhs04
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I started smoking cc's while staioned in germany. I prefer them and luckinly I know the right sources and people to get them. I do enjoy fuente smokes and the occasional nica smoke. Maybe we should get a trade going on here for fun!

On deck-
Meet Davey Jones in the Deep (huna tribute)
Fauxtoberfest
Hefeeeeeeeee

Old 10-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #245
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I love the idea of a stogie and homebrew sampler trade!!! Ironically enough I don't really ever hear of anyone down here with CCs.... Probably because they're hoarding them all. But I do have a good friend with family over there who got me some Montecristo #2s a few years back when my daughter was born. We're you stationed in Ramstein? The founder of our homebrew club and another one of my best friends were stationed there a while.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-31-2012, 08:31 PM   #246
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Nick - Here's my thought, in my experience most "cigar shops" are almost always nothing more than glorified quickie marts that focus on tobacco. They rarely know much of anything about cigars, have selections that are generic and boring, and don't know how to and/or care to take care of their merchandise...it is just a business for them, not a passion. If you find a good cigar store you will know it. First, you won't be dealing with an employee or owner who doesn't know anything; you will have a tobacconist who has a passion for their product and can easily help you find something and further, they would be mortified to sell you something with mold. They will have a nice walk in humidor with a selection of sticks that will boggle your mind. I think of it like a quality beer store, they will have your BMC's of cigars because there are always those looking for them; but, they will focus on good quality reasonably priced beers while making sure to to have some lambics and hard to come by RIS' for their connoisseurs and will be happy to sit and chat with you all day about them.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #247
joshbhs04
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
I love the idea of a stogie and homebrew sampler trade!!! Ironically enough I don't really ever hear of anyone down here with CCs.... Probably because they're hoarding them all. But I do have a good friend with family over there who got me some Montecristo #2s a few years back when my daughter was born. We're you stationed in Ramstein? The founder of our homebrew club and another one of my best friends were stationed there a while.
I am in the Army so rammstein wasnt an option. I was staioned in a place called hohenfels which is between munich and nurnburg. It was awesome lol. I would be happy to trade you some cc's for homebrew. I am new to homebrewing so I dont have any options there. When im off base I can get alot of the htf stone brews and other cali brews as well.
On deck-
Fauxtoberfest
Hefeeeeeeeee

Old 10-31-2012, 10:30 PM   #248
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Already replied to your PM before I saw this. I'd definitely be down for a trade and will snag any commercial crafts you want that I can find.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #249
joshbhs04
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
Already replied to your PM before I saw this. I'd definitely be down for a trade and will snag any commercial crafts you want that I can find.
Sounds good, ill pm you for more details. If anyone else wants to trade smokes or anything just pm me and we may be able to work something out.
On deck-
Fauxtoberfest
Hefeeeeeeeee

Old 11-01-2012, 01:36 AM   #250
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 136

image-2297584954.jpg

Had to do a little trick or treating at my local cigar bar.
aygov Likes This 

Quick Reply