Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #211
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 350 Posts
Likes Given: 526

Cool!!!! And there's nothing wrong with having a picky palate. Ya like what ya like and don't what ya don't. Last Rocky I had was I believe the 10 year and it was a solid smoke. At the moment I've really been digging pretty much everything from My Fathers Cigars or the Don Pepin line. They're not always spicy all the way through or as spicy as the Honey and Handgrenades but they all have a nice touch of that Nicaraguan spice. The Diesel Unholy Cocktail is also good, full bodied and tastes like cocoa with a cinnamon zing the whole smoke. It pairs great with a RIS(especially the DFH Bitches Brew). At $3 a stick it's my go to budget cigar and smokes like a $10 stogie every time. Definitely worth giving a shot as well.

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : French Oak Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout
Primary : Edicion Regionales Inglaterra
Primary : Oh My Darling Clementine Wheat
On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #212
aygov
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 283

So I've recently picked up cigar smoking again. I smoked a bit early on in college, but dropped it because I didn't really know wtf I was doing and I had no one to smoke with.

Having some friends who smoke, but are novices, and being a bit older now I've decided to pick it up again.

So far on this is what I've tried:

Ashton Magnum - I thought this was a pretty good smoke. Of course I had it while camping and imbibing a bit so I don't remember much specific about it.

Acid KUBA KUBA - Not a fan. The flavored wrapper was alright, but the smoke seemed acrid. Really the only thing that kept me smoking it was the wrapper. If it hadn't been free I probably would have been kind of pissed...

H. Upmann Cabinet Selection Robusto - I enjoyed this one. I'm not going to begin to try to describe flavors and what not, but it was delicious.

Romeo y Julieta Churchill Tube - Perhaps it may have been a bit dry (we had originally intended to smoke it probably a week before it got smoked so it was in a zip-loc bag out of a humidor for probably 2 weeks), but I wasn't that impressed with it. It seemed to have that acrid smoke the same as the KUBA KUBA and it burned pretty unevenly past the halfway mark.

Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Robusto - Another good smoke, pretty mild on flavor but that's what I was expecting from the description.

I'm looking to step up a bit to the higher end of medium and into full bodied, but I'm unsure where to go. Any suggestion for a leaping off point?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #213
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I think the first thing you have to do is make a tupperdor until you decide if you want to get more serious in the hobby and buy a humidor. Heres a thread on how to make one, http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-...rdor-stop.html Id also invest $20-25 in a xikar digital hygrometer for the tupperdor but thats me. Even the best of cigars can turn total crapola if you dont store them right. That being said the only one you mentioned Im fond of is the Ashton. I dont like flavored or infused cigars like Acid Cigars, its just not my thing, but everyones different. As for some suggestions..... Liga Privada Undercrown by Drew Estates, Flor de Las Antillas by My Fathers, Oliva O or V serie maduros, Padron 2000, Rocky Patel 10th Anniversary, AJ Fernandez San Lotano Maduro. This is a good start in the right direction. Just make sure to smoke them when you buy them or store them properly if you want them to be good. Just as you wouldnt want to bottle your IPA in clear bottles and condition them in the sun hope this helps

EAC - 5/2/14

On Tap : Red, Wheat, and Blue, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0, Cayo Hueso Cream Ale, Atocha Amber

aygov Likes This 
Old 10-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #214
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I had a San Latano Maduro and a few Youngs Double Chocolate Stouts the other night while watching the UM-FSU game. Great pairing!!

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #215
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
The Diesel Unholy Cocktail is also good, full bodied and tastes like cocoa with a cinnamon zing the whole smoke. It pairs great with a RIS(especially the DFH Bitches Brew). At $3 a stick it's my go to budget cigar and smokes like a $10 stogie every time. Definitely worth giving a shot as well.
The UC is one of those gems that are ok up front; but, toss in the humi for a year and all of a sudden you have solid stick at a bargain price.

I had an AF Don Carlos with some French press coffee Saturday night, nice combo as well.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #216
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff

The UC is one of those gems that are ok up front; but, toss in the humi for a year and all of a sudden you have solid stick at a bargain price.

I had an AF Don Carlos with some French press coffee Saturday night, nice combo as well.
That's what I keep hearing but I haven't had em long enough to know. I have some buried in the bottom of my humi though so I can give it a years rest. Is the Don Carlos his blend of the God of Fire? I got some of the GOF Carlito blend and am looking forward to gettin to smoke one around New Years.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #217
Marko73
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Aging Room M356 has been one of my top go to cigars. I have also recently discovered Pinar Del Rio's and have loved those as well. Nice to see some other aficianados!

"It is sheer folly to be taken by the hand and led down the path of better brewing by someone who says that they know it all. No, it is your experience that counts most. It is your experience that will always lead you to more questions."

~Charlie Papazian

Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #218
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 295 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing View Post
That's what I keep hearing but I haven't had em long enough to know. I have some buried in the bottom of my humi though so I can give it a years rest. Is the Don Carlos his blend of the God of Fire? I got some of the GOF Carlito blend and am looking forward to gettin to smoke one around New Years.
No, just the standard Don Carlos line...I wouldn't mind trying a God of Fire Don Carlos though, but I have never seen one on a store shelf to entice an impulse purchase. I do have an Opus X I picked up in Florida last May aging away in my humi for a special occassion.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #219
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I ordered some as special occasion smokes. I got lucky last week and got a Fuente Fuente Opus X in a 1 of 4000 sampler specially made for CRA. For $100 I got a year script to CRA and these 10 beauties

image-541120.jpg

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 10-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #220
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I've heard of you age that Opus anything less than 2 years your cheating yourself out of its full potential.

EAC - 5/2/14

Quick Reply