Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The Great HBT Stogie Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #131
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I don't remember posting much about them, but two great smokes I've had recently:

Ashton VSG - medium-full bodied, goes great with a porter or stout.

Diamond Crown Maximus - WOW! For a medium priced stick, this one is phenomenal. Wonderful chocolate notes with plenty of body and a perfect draw (all three times).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2008, 01:12 AM   #132
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
I don't remember posting much about them, but two great smokes I've had recently:

Ashton VSG - medium-full bodied, goes great with a porter or stout.

Diamond Crown Maximus - WOW! For a medium priced stick, this one is phenomenal. Wonderful chocolate notes with plenty of body and a perfect draw (all three times).
Two great sticks. They're both rolled by Fuente's more experienced rollers. The only bad draw I've had in either is the occasional thinner ring gauge VSG, but they're usually great.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:50 AM   #133
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

I may have also extolled the virtues of the Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur series before, but let me reiterate - great, cheap stick! Though I don't smoke daily, if I did, this would be the one (forget the Partagas I mentioned last year - none of 'em have been very remarkable). It's marketed as a full flavored Honduran, but I find it rather mild to medium and very smooth. It's got just enough flavor to be interesting with woody and earthy notes. I was enjoying this one next to my BGE smoker with mesquite on the fire, sipping a Young's DC Stout, and the experience was really nice. The cigar's wood note was very different from the mesquite smoking nearby - a lighter, milder variety, perhaps pecan. The stout was incredibly sweet and smooth in contrast - a nice pairing. The cigar's flavor is still fresh on my palate, and I just cracked a Spaten Optimator. The sweet Munich malt and slight spiciness are very pronounced as a result.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #134
RodfatherX
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
\
-Ashton (made by Fuente)
-Avo (made by Davidoff)
-anything from Fuente with a 'Natural' or 'Natural Shade Grown' wrapper
Omg yes Fuente is great.....I have yet to have a bad smoke from them.......my fav was a short story.....I think it was a Cameroon. Probably the most enjoyable smoke I've ever had. The 8-5-8 is good too.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:46 PM   #135
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX View Post
Omg yes Fuente is great.....I have yet to have a bad smoke from them.......my fav was a short story.....I think it was a Cameroon. Probably the most enjoyable smoke I've ever had. The 8-5-8 is good too.
Yes, they're sort of my go-to brand. I think Carlos, Sr. and Carlito really have a knack for blending (not to mention growing and processing) tobacco. I've met them both and they are great guys. It just seems like a company with a lot of integrity. They also (along with Newman) run a charitable organization helping the people of the DR. Some have suspected them of creating hype by limiting some of their cigars and making them hard to find (Opus, Anejo, 8-5-8 Sungrown, etc.), and anything is possible. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding the price gouging of Opus by retailers. But one thing I do know... I've had most of the rare ones and nearly all of them live up to the hype.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #136
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

It's come to my attention that I'm definitely more of a full bodied cigar lover than mild, so take my previous comments in stride. If I call it mild, there's a good chance that it's got a bit more body and flavor than one might expect.

I just got back from the local humidor. Does anyone have experience with the Habanera 78 by Fuentes Crucet? It's a cheaper full-bodied stick that can supposedly compete with some of the more expensive cigars that I've come to enjoy.

What about the CAO America series? I bought a 4 stick sampler in a patriotic box tonight, mostly because the store was offering phenomenal odds on winning a flashy humidor by including a raffle ticket with every sampler purchase. I figured I'd chance it. I'm probably going to go light one up right now - report to follow.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #137
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I recently got a box of these Isla Del Sol's for fathers day, I love them.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #138
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

CAO America Robusto (I think CAO names each size with a patriotic name, but it's a Robusto):

Nicely made cigar with a beautiful twin wrapper (dark and light Connecticut, making an attractive spiral effect). The dark Maduro-ish outer wrapper made for a sweet flavor. Initially, the smoke volume was fairly thin, but an inch into the smoke, it was adequate. The cigar is marketed as full-bodied, but it doesn't live up to the hype. Smooth leather is predominant with a pecan nuttiness. The middle 1/3 of the smoke was definitely the best, with the last 1/3 becoming a bit monotonous and boring. Overall, the cigar was tightly rolled, holding the ash well over an even burn, but resulting in a pretty tight draw. It paired well with a black & tan, but after the first 1/2, I was more interested in pouring another beer rather than finishing the cigar, as it didn't hold my interest. It's a decent, medium-priced stick, but don't go out of your way to find one.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 AM   #139
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK View Post
I recently got a box of these Isla Del Sol's for fathers day, I love them.

Not sure why, but those look really really good.

Humm, maybe its time to go grab a stogie out of the fridge.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:19 AM   #140
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801 View Post
Not sure why, but those look really really good.

Humm, maybe its time to go grab a stogie out of the fridge.
They are delicious, Very sweet and Mild.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply