Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Gotta love Al Gore

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #21
stever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's not quite as bad the email makes it out to be.

"A few pertinent details have been left out, of course, such as the fact that one reason the Gore family's utility bills run so high is that they pay premium prices to get 100 percent of their power from Tennessee's Green Power Switch program, which draws from renewable resources such as wind, solar, and methane gas; such as the fact that the Gore family invests in "carbon offsets" to allay the environmental impact of their power usage; and such as the fact that the 10,000-square-foot mansion serves not only as their residence, but also as a workspace for both Al and Tipper Gore."

Not saying that makes everything better but I deal with these smear emails all day at my job and they almost always leave out important bits of info, take information out of context, or blatantly lie to make their point. If a piece of information is circulated by email, 99 times out of 100 it's not true.

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2008, 04:37 AM   #22
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You can argue the details all day long, but Gore is still one of the biggest hypocrites to ever walk the earth, and carbon offsets are a money making scam.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #23
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I really loved this sentence in the original article:
In the past year, Gore’s home burned through 213,210 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity, enough to power 232 average American households for a month.

In the past year, I have eaten have eaten at least 1095 meals, enough to feed 12 average American people for a month!

Do I eat 12 times the average person? No. Just to make a point that isn't there, I compared my yearly food intake (3 meals times 365 days) to a person that eats 3 meals a day for a month.

"See in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."
George w. Bush

I think we should be done by now catapulting the propaganda about Gore. It's time to focus on Obama and McCain.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:46 AM   #24
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

nobody is arguing the details, I'm simply pointing out the creator of the article/email has an agenda and people with agendas often bend the truth.

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #25
Austinhomebrew
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
It's not quite as bad the email makes it out to be.

"A few pertinent details have been left out, of course, such as the fact that one reason the Gore family's utility bills run so high is that they pay premium prices to get 100 percent of their power from Tennessee's Green Power Switch program, which draws from renewable resources such as wind, solar, and methane gas; such as the fact that the Gore family invests in "carbon offsets" to allay the environmental impact of their power usage; and such as the fact that the 10,000-square-foot mansion serves not only as their residence, but also as a workspace for both Al and Tipper Gore."

Not saying that makes everything better but I deal with these smear emails all day at my job and they almost always leave out important bits of info, take information out of context, or blatantly lie to make their point. If a piece of information is circulated by email, 99 times out of 100 it's not true.
I want to say that I am not Pro-Gore or Anti-Gore. I am just tired of poorly written propaganda presented as fact no matter what party it is slamming. W said it best: Catapulting propaganda

Old 06-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #26
stever
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
I want to say that I am not Pro-Gore or Anti-Gore. I am just tired of poorly written propaganda presented as fact no matter what party it is slamming. W said it best: Catapulting propaganda
I completely agree. When people jump on bandwagons based on facts derived from suspect sources, it drives me nuts. There is more than enough information available out there that if people would just do their own research they would find out the truth which (in theory) should allow them to make an informed decision.

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 06-18-2008, 05:31 AM   #27
Germey

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stever View Post
I completely agree. When people jump on bandwagons based on facts derived from suspect sources, it drives me nuts. There is more than enough information available out there that if people would just do their own research they would find out the truth which (in theory) should allow them to make an informed decision.
sadly, I think one could do 40 hours a week of research and would still end up confused by conflicting evidence from sources that seem more and more credible every year. The art of pitch and spin is getting more refined on both sides of the "debates". Someday, when we folks stop beating our respective red and blue chests, we will realize that the most important rivalry going on right now is between those of us with real mortgages and those who have so much money that the only thing they can do to keep getting more is to influence world business policies and politics.
To a certain degree, we need to trust our guts a bit more and believe in using less, working harder, and making sure our government is transparently working for us.
Does anyone else remember the Simpsons where it is revealed that BOTH candidates are actually hideous aliens (Citizen Kang).

"what about a third party candidate?"
"Go ahead, waste your vote!"
...H Ross Perot punches hat...

Old 06-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #28
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew View Post
W said it best: Catapulting propaganda
But did he pronounce it correctly?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #29
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Al Gore invented the Internet, give him a break, would ya?

I've seen this before. Pretty interesting given his global warming stance since he lost to Bush.

FWIW, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio has a similarly stunning water bill each month. IIRC his household goes through more water in a month than the average FL home goes through in a year.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #30
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

When I was Working last night driving back from detroit, I saw a huge black cloud in the sky and it started to choke me. I realized it wasn't a cloud but only the smoke coming from Al Gore's Gulf stream as him and Obama flew out of my state.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Quick Reply