The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Got any cubers in the house?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmendez29 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. I had a cube when I was a kid. I solved it once but I don't really remember the details. But what I do remember is that I disassembled it, and it somehow involved a closet door for reassembly.
Wow, that's the EXACT same method I use!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #12
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillPall View Post
By the way, that is a sweet cube with the Asian symbol on it. The cubes look like they are solid color plastic. Where did you get it?
That's a DaYan GuHong "Color Cube". Yes, the cubies have the color molded right in. I thought it was cool as hell so I had to get one I picked it up from Lightake.com.

Unfortunately, they're not legal for competition. Fortunately, you will never see me in a cubing competition

-Joe

Old 09-30-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I used mine as a skeet "pigeon" back in the 80's. It was infinitely satisfying to see the f*&*er that I couldn't solve get blow apart by the blast of a 12 gauge.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #14
Folken
Recipes 

Never successfully completed one myself. I usually screw around for 5 minutes or so, get pissed, and chuck it at the nearest wall.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #15
Folken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I used mine as a skeet "pigeon" back in the 80's. It was infinitely satisfying to see the f*&*er that I couldn't solve get blow apart by the blast of a 12 gauge.
That is what we call high society!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:57 AM   #16
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

It's funny that this thread came up today. Yesterday I was walking over to Detroit Receiving Hospital to meet my Girlfriend for lunch, one of the valets was standing there doing one to pass the time. I hadn't seen one in at least a decade so it was kinda shocking. It was one of those shiny metalic ones like in the second pictures.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-30-2010, 02:38 AM   #17
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2939 Times on 1866 Posts
Likes Given: 2482

I can solve one side in under 1 minute if I haven't been drinking. Doing the whole thing takes much more time (gotta peel off the stickers and put them back on in the right order).

Old 09-30-2010, 02:53 AM   #18
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh. I thought you meant timecube...

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 09-30-2010, 04:17 AM   #19
brewingkitty
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I can solve one side in under 1 minute if I haven't been drinking. Doing the whole thing takes much more time (gotta peel off the stickers and put them back on in the right order).
take her apart and reassemble.

"Damn ye, yellow-bellied sapsuckers; I'm a better man than all of ye milksops put together" - Blackbeard

"...I have really good sex moves; that I learned in China. I'm a sexual tiger; and feed on va-gine-a." - Jon Lajoie

Old 10-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #20
html034

Recipes 

My personal best is also 47 seconds, which I find impressive because I was drinkin at the time. Plus it was one of those cases where one of the last steps was resolved for me, which anyone who does the layer method (others too I suppose) is familiar with. I average around a minute. I've worn out 3 cubes so far, but it's a fun trick, and people are usually impressed. I agree with the rubik's cube as stress ball idea; I often like to play with the cube when I'm nervous, since it gives my hands something to do.

"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."
Baruch Spinoza

Quick Reply