Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Google Voice

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
purechaos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have an account to, 1 thing I read on slickdeals was people using the google # as a way to have 'unlimited' cellphone minutes using a 'my favs' or 'my circle' cellphone plan.

The problem being that caller I'd doesn't work as it shows GV #. If u went this route you could have a very cheap plan with text messaging.

I haven't really used my acct either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Still trying to get one. I noticed some invites selling for a dollar on ebay, and I've wasted a dollar on dumber things before, so I purchased one. For some reason my paypal link isn't putting me through for the purchase so I'll have to wait til it starts working again to see if its legit...

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #13
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Alright, so not that anyone cares, but I set it up. It actually has some really neat features. It will/does take a while to get set up if you want it to be functional, but once you have it going its fine. I'm updating/editing all of my gmail contacts (rather, those I actually converse with day to day) so that I have numbers and everything in there.

In response to my "use an ipod touch for texting", I'll be borrowing my girlfriend's little sister's iPod touch before the end of the summer to test on my wireless connection to see how it interfaces. From what I recently read, the Google Voice app has been shot down, but there are ways around that. End of summer is a good time to make a number switch in its entirety and finality for me... I need to think on this more and play with it a bit...

Courage les garçons, et patience, vos femmes vont finir par apprécier la bière !

Old 08-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Oh, and for people who are interested in google voice, but don't know much about it, this is something I just learned but didnt know before hand: To start a call you tell it a the number (or contact) that you wish to call, and a phone to ring for you to make the call. So if I'm at a friends house, I can pull up google voice, tell it to call Istanbul and ring their house. When I hit connect, their house phone will ring, I pick up, google voice then puts the call through to Istanbul and it counts as an incoming call on the home phone...

What this means for me: I maintain my skype-in number, place all calls through that, answer skype-in using the skype app on an ipod touch, the calls are then put through to the number I'm calling and the number that shows up is my google voice number, to avoid confusing anyone.

You may say, this is too much of a hassle, you're a cheap ass. I don't really care. This type hassle is insignificant, in my eyes, and I like my gadgets....

Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #15
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I just got my invite this morning, looking forward to trying it out.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #16
Gregg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post
I just got my invite this morning, looking forward to trying it out.
Does anyone happen to have any invites? I've been trying to get one but no luck. I have a bunch of Google Wave invites if anyone is interested as well.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #17
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have two Voice invites to give out.

PM me your email address if you want one. First come, first served.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
Baja_Brewer
Recipes 

Update what I started talking about here:

I ended up buying myself an unlocked HTC G1 at full retail value. I have a blank sim card that I put into it. I've been operating on wifi at home and at school, leaving the phone in airplane mode except for when I want to turn on bluetooth. Recently methods have come out so that I can you can download an app (SIPdroid) and set up your google voice number to get incoming (free) calls on wifi! I love it.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
nealmc
Recipes 

Default Any more invites?

Does anyone have any more Google Voice invites? If so, I'd be overjoyed to take one off of your hands!! nealmc(at) g mail

Up Next:Haus Pale Ale

Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a GV account, but they didn't allocate any numbers in the Alaska area code, so I don't have a google number, but I do have the voicemail setup to transcribe my voice messages into text messages, and I can check my voicemail online.

I too have an HTC G1, and I could integrate everything if google would just get some 907 numbers...

But no I don't have any invites yet.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Quick Reply