Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > GOOD on ROKU STREAMING

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #41
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z View Post
We are about to nix TW cable, we have been test driving the Roku. I have to say I'm surprised, I don't think I will miss cable.

Sorry to further derail your thread CD, but I have a technical question about my streaming picture quality. We have one Roku 2XD and have 2 Samsung TV's, a 1080p and a 720p. I have tried the Roku on bith units and have found a vast difference in picture quality.

My issue is that the picture quality on the 720p is far more appealing to the eye. It is difficult to describe but the streaming picture on the 1080p unit looks like a home video. The picture (for the lack of better terms) looks too sharp, color and contrast a way off, no warmth to the picture. We have the same issue with dvds on the 1080p. As for the HD feed from the cable on the same TV looks great.

I have tried changing the TVs' "Mode" with little change in the 4 settings. I'm betting this should be an easy fix but I have searched the streaming forum(s) and found nothing.
I figured out the issue. I reversed the position of the cable feed and the Roku box, I place the Roku cable in the first position HDMI/DVI and it looks perfect! Now the cable feed in #2 position which is marked HDMI (no DVI) look degraded. Is this normal or do I have a bad port?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #42
PortageValleyHops
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad67z

I figured out the issue. I reversed the position of the cable feed and the Roku box, I place the Roku cable in the first position HDMI/DVI and it looks perfect! Now the cable feed in #2 position which is marked HDMI (no DVI) look degraded. Is this normal or do I have a bad port?
They should both be 1080 if they are HDMI ports no? I have not seen lesser quality HDMI secondary ports so I would guess there's an issue with cabling or the port.

Local hops for local brewers.

portagevalleyhops.com

Old 01-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #43
Brewskii
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageValleyHops

They should both be 1080 if they are HDMI ports no? I have not seen lesser quality HDMI secondary ports so I would guess there's an issue with cabling or the port.
I think this is a streaming issue. Isn't the definition defined by the avail bandwidth? It switches back and forth doesn't it?

Old 06-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #44
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Just got me a ROKU3 so to all of you that have been using the ROKU for a while, give me the low down! what do I need to put on it? Private channels? hacks for better FREE content? I;m excited to get this thing going so I'll be grabbing a new HDMI cable on my way home from work today so I can hook it all up.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1642 Times on 1235 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Netflix is the only "PAY" channel i can't do without. Amazon Prime I pay for, but would lose if it raised price or lost any quality.

PBS is awesome, Nowheremantv and Justintv have nice mixes of different stuff.

Thanks for resurrecting this! I half heartedly looked for it since the netflix was getting bogged with ROKU questions.

PLEASE KEEP TECHY STUFF TO A MINIMUM. IT KILLED THIS THREAD QUICK

I recently watched Wreckit Ralph with my son on amazon. It was sincerely AWESOME. I couldn't believe that it was so good.

The "Does science refute God" debate on PBS was enlightening.

SuperTroopers was also waaaaay better than expected on amazon.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #46
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Dailymotion is another "channel" I like alot on Roku, I subscribe to a couple of users that post a lot of great BBC cooking and History programing. If you register (free) with dailymotion, you can then have the programming of those you subscribe/favorite on the Roku.

I really like zodiacza and educkling. If you like food, history or BBC programming sub to them. I've also found a lot of other full episodes or documentaries, especially from the BBC and the Australian Broadcasting Company on Dailymotion, but you have to search.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Old 06-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #47
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Dailymotion is another "channel" I like alot on Roku, I subscribe to a couple of users that post a lot of great BBC cooking and History programing. If you register (free) with dailymotion, you can then have the programming of those you subscribe/favorite on the Roku.

I really like zodiacza and educkling. If you like food, history or BBC programming sub to them. I've also found a lot of other full episodes or documentaries, especially from the BBC and the Australian Broadcasting Company on Dailymotion, but you have to search.
There is a lot to sort through, info like this is priceless! Thanks.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #48
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Although I have a lot of the free old/open source movie channels like Popcorn flicks, I end up pretty much sticking to Daily Motion, Amazon Prime, Justin TV, Tune In (to listen to radiostations I like, that sound better digitally rather than over the air,) Crackle and PLEX to stream/watch Youtube and other video content from the web. You have to have the plex media server software loaded on your laptop or computer, and that allows you to send youtube and other web video content to the roku box.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #49
mcwilcr
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Nice, I'll be looking into all of this!

Are a lot if the so called private channels unreliable?

Been kinda wanting to drastically scale back my directv bill and was hoping the roku would help me get some of the stuff I like to watch from the premiums like game of thrones, dexter, californication, etc. without needing to wait for it all to come out Netflix or similar. Am I just dreaming here?

Didn't even realize I totally necroposted this thread.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #50
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Although I have a lot of the free old/open source movie channels like Popcorn flicks, I end up pretty much sticking to Daily Motion, Amazon Prime, Justin TV, Tune In (to listen to radiostations I like, that sound better digitally rather than over the air,) Crackle and PLEX to stream/watch Youtube and other video content from the web. You have to have the plex media server software loaded on your laptop or computer, and that allows you to send youtube and other web video content to the roku box.
The wii has a decent youtube channel. I have plex but yet to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwilcr View Post
Nice, I'll be looking into all of this!

Are a lot if the so called private channels unreliable?

Been kinda wanting to drastically scale back my directv bill and was hoping the roku would help me get some of the stuff I like to watch from the premiums like game of thrones, dexter, californication, etc. without needing to wait for it all to come out Netflix or similar. Am I just dreaming here?

Didn't even realize I totally necroposted this thread.
Premium TV is gonna be next day PPV on amazon. Typically 1.99/episode.

I am OK with this for a few key shows (Falling Skies, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy) and figure that the soct is still far less than cable.

Quick Reply