Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Is This a Good Price for Replacement Underground Waste Piping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 01:06 AM   #21
GranillaNutz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Don't know about that, but I do know this...
Had a really obnoxious customer tell me that her husband doesn't do
"laborer" work, and when she got the bill,I charged more than her husband per hour, and he was a surgeon.
good call... it's good when we can stick the people who don't really do any work with the bill eh?

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #22
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=GranillaNutz;1199263]on the other hand... when u hire a gigantic company like roto rooter, there's a good chance that they have some yahoo with no experience actually doing the work. but as i said before, they do hold a solid guarantee. i'm sure u could find a reputable company for a better price than roto rooter but i honestly think 60bux an hour is a bit far fetched... would u stick your arm into a pile of sh!t for 60 an hour if most of the money was goin to something else (overhead)? that's y i'm not a plumber.. i would rather get electrocuted than get anywhere near poo poo[/QUOTE
Sissy

Just don't eat finger foods!

when u hire a gigantic company like roto rooter, there's a good chance that they have some yahoo with no experience actually doing the work. but as i said before, they do hold a solid guarantee.

NO-

No, actually roto rooter has a very intensive training process since they do offer a guarentee.
And since the guy that does the work gets chraged back by another tech if they have a callback, believe me, those guys are doing the best they can.. Especially on a job like Evan needs, you are getting the golden boy of the branch- Don't forget, That guy that shows up to your house BOUGHT the truck himself, BOUGHT the backhoe himself, BOUGHT all the tools to do the job.
At least here in NJ, subs were not allowed- so we had to do the jobs ourselves, which meant a major investment in tools and equipment.
Like I said before, it was rough. I was better off working under my uncles license, than working for them.

Last edited by NJTomatoguy; 03-16-2009 at 01:21 AM.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #23
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

Quote:
sissy
lol.. call it what u will... but i'm not touchin no pooo

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

my dad stopped by my house after I had a particularly rough job.. a grease trap.
he made it up to the truck, slowed down. stood still and proceeded to puke all over my lawn. I BUST HIS B**** to this day!!He was an engineer at the electric co because he couldn't handle rth poo poo factor.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:35 AM   #25
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

electricity and poo poo just don't mix man..

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 AM   #26
pen25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTomatoguy View Post
Not even close-but please, no offense, just explaining what i dealt with for 2.5 yrs..

Roto rooter employees own their own trucks and get paid commission here in nj- so no foreman/helper. IN 2002, Labor rate was $175 hr, not $60. Parts would not be an issue since roto rooter gets paid by the job, corporate doesn't care if the guy takes a bath.
It got so bad at one point I stopped chargeing for parts. Wasn't worth explaining it. Markup was obscene! Also factor in that any small plumber in his right mind would not touch that job. I'm solving your problem, but i have to dig up your neighbors yard to do it. That's 2 properties, 2 sets of permits, 2 inspections, 2 certs. Ties into a manhole, now township/city/county is involved.
Roto rooter corporate has the legal backing to step up if your neighbor becomes a PITA.
if the man hole is in the neighbors yard wouldnt that be in the right of way which is covered under the terms of the right of way? i know bell when they were putting thier cables under ground they would come by and let you know what they were doing. they would bore when they had too but if someone complained they would have the city issue a removal permit and put the cost of removal of anything that would block the burial onto the owner of the property. have seen a pretty nice gazeebo that was just built be pulled down because the owner decided he would try to fight the crossing of "his" property. now if this isnt part of the right of way then running the line a different way to where it crosses the yard in the right of way

from or living in oklahoma? come join us in the oklahoma group

Old 03-16-2009, 04:40 AM   #27
socalamcor
Recipes 

I dont do the trenchless technology but have a couple companies i recomend for this type of work. 4k for a long run is a damn good price, ive seen a few companies i no longer recomend charge that amount for a five foot patch on a line. though like another person said if its not deep it may be cheaper to just dig it up. ive had a few people expose the piping all the way and then called in a plumber to actualy replace the section needed. you have quite a few options and second and third opinions are always best. just try to get pricing for the other options as well.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Yeah, this guy they sent out was no n00b. He knew what he was doing, that much was obvious.

And I doubt they'd send some dingleberry who has no experience to do an installation that they guarantee for 10 years.

I don't know about the right of way, either...chances are, this line was put in before my neighbor's house was built, and his property was part of this one. I don't typically see ROW's in the middle of a property triangle like this. Either way, it's not quite as simple as just digging a trench. It's about 4 feet deep at our end...then there's a bunch of concrete patio, then an old mortar-set stone wall AND the new wood fence we put in, then there's the neighbor's big 2-story shed that it runs underneath. So trenching is not really a viable option.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #29
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranillaNutz View Post
i would rather get electrocuted than get anywhere near poo poo
My old man is a plumber and I use to go to work with him all the time when I was in high school. You never real get that close to Poopoo at all.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 PM   #30
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skins_Brew View Post
My old man is a plumber and I use to go to work with him all the time when I was in high school. You never real get that close to Poopoo at all.
Yeah, the worst the rotorooter guy had to deal with was having to handle the pipe snake line after he reeled it back in...but he had some nice blue sanitary gloves that he said he rarely takes off when he's on the job.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply