Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Is This a Good Price for Replacement Underground Waste Piping?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

It is always a good idea to get another estimate. The last roofing job I had done, the prices ran from $7,800 to $22,000. The latter included the shingles "at his cost".

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yea everyone said it already but get the other bid. I am getting estimates for getting an aluminum wired house fixed and one guy quotes me 5700 and the guy I called today quotes me 2800. Big, big difference.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
keelanfish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Definately get another estimate. I've done pipe bursting and cured in place trenchless pipe replacement, but on much bigger civil engineering projects. Both are fine techniques, but unless you have a highly landscaped backyard or an extremely deeply buried pipe, it doesn't make much sense in such a short length. If it's just a typical three to five foot deep trench, It would be far cheaper to use a ditch witch and lay new glue-joint pvc pipe.

If there is a good reason to use trenchless, then the only other negative thing I have to say about it is that the alignment follows exactly the old pipes alignment. If the old alignment was good, then no problem. But if it had a vertical sag in an area, then the new pipe is also going to have a vertical sag that will collect grit and be a potential clogging problem.

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #14
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I just had a lot of drywall done. It was worth every penny....

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 03-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #15
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Definitely get at least one more bid, but that doesn't seem that high to me. One thing to keep in mid is that contracting work is not all of equal quality. You wouldn't want to have to redo this in ten years. Just because on guy is lower, doesn't mean he will do as good of a job. Ask for references. Especially if someone is substantially cheaper than the rest, ---I'd be pretty leery of that.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 03-16-2009, 01:36 AM   #16
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
Definitely good to at least get a second estimate (and ideally a third). The question for Roto-Rooter is, can the cost be quantified?

-How many man-hours (assume maybe $60.00/ hour for a foreman, ~$40.00 for a laborer)
-Material costs + 15% markup
-Equipment usage costs
-Other overhead (travel, vehicles, etc.)
-If the technology is proprietary, that's worth something

Obviously, they need to make some profit here, but I doubt all that adds up to $4500. Heck, you could build a brewhut for that. But I'm not a plumber... just a skeptic with construction estimating experience.
Not even close-but please, no offense, just explaining what i dealt with for 2.5 yrs..

Roto rooter employees own their own trucks and get paid commission here in nj- so no foreman/helper. IN 2002, Labor rate was $175 hr, not $60. Parts would not be an issue since roto rooter gets paid by the job, corporate doesn't care if the guy takes a bath.
It got so bad at one point I stopped chargeing for parts. Wasn't worth explaining it. Markup was obscene! Also factor in that any small plumber in his right mind would not touch that job. I'm solving your problem, but i have to dig up your neighbors yard to do it. That's 2 properties, 2 sets of permits, 2 inspections, 2 certs. Ties into a manhole, now township/city/county is involved.
Roto rooter corporate has the legal backing to step up if your neighbor becomes a PITA.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 AM   #17
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

plumbers are usually the most expensive of all construction workers. i'm an electrician and we charge 125 an hr. overhead's a mofo, but in the end you really do get what u pay for, and bigger companies can give u a solid guarantee. sounds like you've gotta major pile of sh!t in your house and i wouldn't risk some fly by night contractor at 60 an hour. unless of course you know where the guy lives.

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #18
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTomatoguy View Post
IN 2002, Labor rate was $175 hr, not $60.
So that rate includes all the other overhead I mentioned.

Isn't that about the going rate for attorneys?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 03-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
GranillaNutz
Recipes 

on the other hand... when u hire a gigantic company like roto rooter, there's a good chance that they have some yahoo with no experience actually doing the work. but as i said before, they do hold a solid guarantee. i'm sure u could find a reputable company for a better price than roto rooter but i honestly think 60bux an hour is a bit far fetched... would u stick your arm into a pile of sh!t for 60 an hour if most of the money was goin to something else (overhead)? that's y i'm not a plumber.. i would rather get electrocuted than get anywhere near poo poo

"Sometimes when i reflect back on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then i look into the glass and think about all the workers in the brewery and all their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work, and their dreams would be shattered. Then i say to myself, "it's better that i drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be selfish and worry about my liver."" -jack handy

Old 03-16-2009, 02:04 AM   #20
NJTomatoguy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
So that rate includes all the other overhead I mentioned.

Isn't that about the going rate for attorneys?
Don't know about that, but I do know this...
Had a really obnoxious customer tell me that her husband doesn't do
"laborer" work, and when she got the bill,I charged more than her husband per hour, and he was a surgeon.

(insert smiley here.)

Quick Reply