GOOD on Netflix STREAMING?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! schitt's creek is so hilarious. it's a high recommend. it might take a few to get into it (as with many) as they seem annoying at first but quickly become part of you as a family. Moira is just over the top hilarious!

It was mentioned a while back, but Schitt's Creek is phenomenal. We hadn't heard of it until recently and then binged our way through it, even installing the PopTV app so we could get the final season before it makes it to Netflix. It was just fun.

Did someone recommend Dark yet? That scifi series (German) on Netflix is the best scifi series I have ever seen. It takes a good 3 or maybe 4 episodes to get hooked though. just stick with it. it will bend your mind and make you think a lot.

Peaky Blinders is an amazing series too. It takes a couple to get into it to, but I was so hooked on it after that. It's kind of dark and mob-like so if you don't like that then don't try it.

"You" is pretty good. I liked the 2nd season a little better & can't wait for the 3rd

doesn't help I got a little crush on Victoria Pedretti (Nell from "Haunting of Hill House", another series you should check out)

If you are looking for something unique, check out Beforeigners on HBO streaming. It takes place in Oslo and the set up is that people start appearing from different time periods (the 1800s, the Viking Age, and the Stone Age) called time-igrants. The 2 main characters are a current day cop and the first Viking detective. There are a lot of funny moments surrounding the cultural differences between the two, but the primary story is them investigating a murder.

It's a quick 6 episodes for the first season and they set up some great storylines for future seasons.

The show is reminiscent of Alien Nation from the 80s if anyone remembers that.

"In the Dark" turned out to be pretty good. a blind woman tries to solve her friend's murder. 2 seasons, with a renewal for a 3rd

"Sweet Magnolias" ended up not being such a chick show & was pretty good. kinda like a southern Gilmore Girls. same kind of dialog (tho not as rapid-fire) & quirky small-town characters. set in fictional Serenity, SC, but I call it Stars Holler. 1 season, up for a 2nd.

we're also watching "The Impostors". dude's new bride takes off with all his money, turns out she does that for a living. 2 seasons

Did someone recommend Dark yet? That scifi series (German) on Netflix is the best scifi series I have ever seen. It takes a good 3 or maybe 4 episodes to get hooked though. just stick with it. it will bend your mind and make you think a lot.

Peaky Blinders is an amazing series too. It takes a couple to get into it to, but I was so hooked on it after that. It's kind of dark and mob-like so if you don't like that then don't try it.
There is a Netflix website specifically for Dark which shows you the family tree for all of the characters which makes it A LOT easier to follow. I am on season 3 and really enjoying it but it is kind of a difficult TV series to follow. At least for me anyway.

I highly recommend both Good Girls and Dead to Me. Both excellent shows with female leads. Terrific acting and entertaining stories. A lot of dark humor and drama. A little bit of suspense. Very addicting and bingeable.

Anyone else here going through any old series from the 80’s or 90’s on Netflix lately. I’ve tried a few other shows lately but they are mostly crap. Finished Umbrella Academy which was decent but still felt like a chore to watch. End up watching reruns of Star Trek TNG.

fak...this must mean I’m officially old.

#Alive.

It's a Korean zombie flick. Top rated movie on Netflix, I think. Those guys are putting out some seriously good movies... and putting Hollywood to shame.

Started THE EXPANSE a few days ago, and it's quite confusing, but I haven't lost interest (yet) (it's on Amazon - not Netflix). I do hope that things start to become less muddled and make sense at some point, but it's otherwise an interesting concept for a series.

Started THE EXPANSE a few days ago, and it's quite confusing, but I haven't lost interest (yet) (it's on Amazon - not Netflix). I do hope that things start to become less muddled and make sense at some point, but it's otherwise an interesting concept for a series.
I know I watched the first season of Expanse, but I couldn't tell you a single thing about it, LOL!

I'm probably 5-8 episodes in, and...yeah...I don't really know why I am still watching it.
I saw there was a new season so it's on my list. I'll probably have to watch the first season over again though. Is that the one where one of the main characters left the easy life of their socialite/ambassador mother?

Watched “The Social Dilemma”. Holy sh*t! I will be posting my distain for social media to my facebook, instagram, Twitter, tiktok, Pintrest, tumblr, reddit, accounts ASAP! #blessed
Seriously, it was pretty eye opening to see just how much work goes in to getting you addicted. Drug dealers are probably taking notes

The Expanse is great.

The problem is in two parts I think. Main one is there is very little explanation to the world. It is portrayed as if the audience member lives in the universe and are of course knowledgeable of the main mining stations, different political factions/what created the factions and all the technology that has sprung up between the real world and the show. The second is the way it is shot. Everything aside from scenes on Earth are dark and dingy making it hard to tell where you are who is who at first. I have read the books so it was a bit easier for me but I definitely was confused and had to pay close attention. Occasionally I had to explain to my wife what was going on.

That said once you do have a handle on what is happening the lack of exposition is quite nice, you are not being talked down to. I encourage people who like science fiction to watch it.

On Hulu: a new Christmas classic from Denmark

expected good, got great. Mads is so badass & there is a stand up & cheer scene

but NOT the movie I thought it would be. I was expecting a typical Hollywood buddy revenge action flick, but there's very little "typical Hollywood" about it

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11655202/

I've watched a few shows since the last time I posted here.

Squid Game was pretty solid.

Maid. Holy sh*t. That one was really good but painful to watch.

I just found a streaming service on Roku that I'd never heard of. "Movieland.TV" They have a vast library of classic movies, with very few commercials (I think it's just one commercial before the movie starts) The video is strange; it's about DVD quality or a little less, and several movies have been in 4:3 aspect ratio (old-style TV) rather than widescreen and I'm sure they weren't shot that way.

So I have been watching lots of movies from the 60's and 70's lately. :) (started with "Patton" because I'm getting into miniature WWII war games)

I'm getting into miniature WWII war games)

my screen name is the nerd version of GROGNARD

not much into miniatures, but definitely into WWII, US Civil War & modern warfare games

Grand Tactician: Civil War & Combat Mission:ALL of them are current favorites

my screen name is the nerd version of GROGNARD

not much into miniatures, but definitely into WWII, US Civil War & modern warfare games

Grand Tactician: Civil War & Combat Mission:ALL of them are current favorites

This is a off-topic, but I have a friend who really wants me to play Flames of War. He always plays as Germans. I have played one battle with him using his models; just Germans vs. Germans, and it was kinda fun even though I didn't know what I was doing. (and I beat him) I am ordering some late-war American starter boxes, and hopefully I can get double-duty from most of it and play mid-war games too just by buying a Fighting First book or set of FF unit cards. The first box gets here Thursday and I get to figure out how to assemble armored infantry models. This looks like it could get really expensive if I'm not careful.

I just need to remember not to slap any soldiers :D

4th season of Marvelous Mrs Maisel out on Amazon Prime. well... first 2 episodes. they're releasing 2 a week

Peaky ****ing Blinders final season. no more slowmo walks down cobblestone streets, lit by town gas lamps & flares from foundry fires

final season part 1 of Ozark is out. Julia Garner should get all the Emmys. even the technical ones. just give them to her

not on Netflix, but recommended: final season of Better Things, 2/28
final season of Killing Eve, 2/27
5th season of Snowfall, 2/23

Last edited:
Started watching Severance on Apple+. It's got a 70's conspiracy movie vibe which I like. Only 2 episodes are out so far. An intriguing premise: employees at a company volunteer (allegedly) for a procedure where their "consciousness" is split between work and non-work. While at work, they don't recall any specifics of their home lives, and while at home they don't recall any specifics of their work life. And of course there's more than meets the eye as to why the company want to do this.

Loved Black Mirror.

If you liked it, check out Two Sentence Horror Stories. Not quite as good, but if you like one you might like the other. There's also Love, Death + Robots on Netflix. And.... if you like that stuff, check out Oats Studio on Amazon.

Not sure I can whole heartedly recommend all the above but - can recommend Black Mirror, and if you liked it to check the other stuff out.

While at work, they don't recall any specifics of their home lives, and while at home they don't recall any specifics of their work life. And of course there's more than meets the eye as to why the company want to do this.
Corporate motives aside, and even if this involves sticking a big metal hoobajoob in my butt, I'll take it. Because "work me" and "home me" hate eachother's guts.

TL;DR - A hedonist and a misanthrope walk into a bar...

Last edited:
Probably been previously mentioned but... Black Mirror.

I watched all episodes one after the other several years ago and still think about them today.

Mind blowing!
Loved Black Mirror.

If you liked it, check out Two Sentence Horror Stories. Not quite as good, but if you like one you might like the other. There's also Love, Death + Robots on Netflix. And.... if you like that stuff, check out Oats Studio on Amazon.

Not sure I can whole heartedly recommend all the above but - can recommend Black Mirror, and if you liked it to check the other stuff out.
It has been mentioned at least a dozen times.
After the very first episode of Black Mirror I stopped watching it, that one was brutal. A friend suggested I give it another chance since that episode isn't really indicative of the rest of the series. Glad I gave it another chance, I enjoyed it.

the pig one? yeah, that's a tough one to move past. we haven't. show is still in the queue, but that's the last episode we watched

After the very first episode of Black Mirror I stopped watching it, that one was brutal. A friend suggested I give it another chance since that episode isn't really indicative of the rest of the series. Glad I gave it another chance, I enjoyed it.

the pig one? yeah, that's a tough one to move past. we haven't. show is still in the queue, but that's the last episode we watched
Yep, that's the one. None of the other episodes are anything like that one. I'd recommend giving it another try, just pick it up after #1. Some are better than others, but when it's good, it's quite good.

Manos: Hands of Fate is by far the worst movie ever made.

It is horrible, but Mystery Science Theater did a treatment of it and it was hilarious. My wife and I watched it on an iPad on a flight home one time, granted we also had a couple drinks, but we were laughing so hard the people around us must have though were were toasted. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Back