Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Good florida beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
jspence1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Good florida beers?

I'm heading down to florida friday are their any beers I should be trying while I'm there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
Recipes 

Liked 513 Times on 394 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Good florida beers?....Now there are three words I never expected to see in the same sentence! (Just kidding, I have no idea)

Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK let me rephrase that any good beers avaiable in florida that I should be trying. I'm from canada and the price of beer is somewhere between stupid and painful. I haven't really tried many beers and would like to try a few good ones while I'm there.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspence1 View Post
OK let me rephrase that any good beers avaiable in florida that I should be trying. I'm from canada and the price of beer is somewhere between stupid and painful. I haven't really tried many beers and would like to try a few good ones while I'm there.

I go there once or twice a year and whenever I ask for something other than miller light they act like I'm an idiot. Down there amberbock is supposed to be a high end great beer. I did get some type of kona beer I liked once and when I ordered it again at a different bar they gave me something totally different. I asked both places what "type" of beer it was and they say it's kona. Good luck.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
niquejim
Burrowing Owl Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 87

It depends on what part of the state you're headed to. There are several good brewpubs in the Tampa area, and several large retailers around the state. My local Total Wine has 400-500 beers for sale

http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store...ne-ftmyers.pdf

Old 10-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #6
nealf
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

If you haven't tried anything from Bell's Brewery (Michigan based) it might be worth looking checking out. I think its pretty rare down there to say the least but you can find it using this link:

Bell's Brewery: Beer Finder

Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes...Key West Beer's...I loved their Sunset Ale when I lived there.

KEY WEST BEER

And Ybor's as well.

ybor_page

Where in Florida are you going?

If you are heading down into the key's stop take the Card Sound route and stop in at a place called Alabama Jack's for a Key West Amber and a plate of Conch Fritters.
Alabama Jack's - Welcome

Quote:
Anything goes here and usually does. In fact, anything's been going here for more than 50 years. An eclectic crowd populates this spot in Key Largo, and a similarly eclectic crowd drops in to watch the eclectic crowd. They are a mix of retirees, boaters, kids...well, just about everyone who is near. Locally made Key West Lager and Sunset Ale are popular, abetted by conch fritters, steamed shrimp and similar munchies. The fare is light, as is the atmosphere. On weekends, there is a live band at this popular spot in the mangrove swamps.

"Floating on two roadside barges in an old fishing community 13 mi southeast of Homestead is this weathered open-air seafood restaurant. Regular customers include Keys characters, Sunday cyclists, local retirees, and boaters, who come to admire tropical birds in the nearby mangroves, the occasional crocodile in the canal, or the live band on weekends. The menu has traditional Keys dishes like cracked and fried conch, fish sandwiches, burgers, fries, salads, and lots of beer. The crabcakes, made from local blue crabs, are exceptional. Jack's closes by 7 or 7:30, when the skeeters come out.
To me it's the only good thing in that god forsaken piece of hell on earth (I hated living in Florida)

Here's the Fodor's review

Alabama Jack's Review | Florida Keys | Fodor's Restaurant Reviews

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 10-16-2008 at 03:31 PM.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
Birchgrove77
Recipes 

I visited Florida for a long weekend with the girlfriend at the beginning of June and was also interested in trying to try some beers I couldn't get here in Illinois. I did find it difficult to locate information on brands, but when I found the information for Total Wine it became a must see destination. Total Wine has a huge single bottle area, and a great wine selection. Definitely check the best before dates on some of the singles, but all in all they have great service.

I searched out and would recommend Lectio Divina and Saison Athene by Saint Somewhere Brewing Company in Tarpon Springs, I know the Total Wine in Naples carried those two.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Alabama Jacks is teh shiet! they close early though, so go for lunch. As far as beer...lol, total wine is really all you got. Orlando and north is where you start to get away from BMC.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #10
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I second the Saint Somewhere Brewing Company. Great beer.

Quick Reply