Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Good Area of Baltimore To Live in

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 AM   #21
SSRider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
I don't live in Baltimore but I go there a lot for work.

My co-workers took me to this place in downtown Baltimore called "Nightshift". It was awesome.

That's all I have to add.
HaHa, I spent my bachelor party at nightshift.

As far as Baltimore goes, I didnt really like going there more than I had too. My brother was a Detective with the State troopers up there and hearing the stories he told kept me away. I went to the bars in fells point a few times, and visit my buddy at UMBC, but if it were me I would definitely live outside the city.

Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Primary 3:
Primary 4:
Secondary:
Keg 1:
keg 2:
Keg 3:
Keg 4:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #22
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I moved up into this area from New Orleans, and I found a lot of similarities between Balmers and NOLA. Both are really old cities with really old street layouts made more for horses than cars. Both have really old buildings, and that "checkerboard" quality where one block is really nice, the next is terrifying.

A friend of mine once referred to Baltimore as "the unwiped a$$hole of the Mid-Atlantic". I found that to be a touch extreme, but the city is certainly a rough place to be after dark.

I currently live about 45 minutes west of Baltimore, just east of Frederick. There's lots of great rural living between Frederick and Baltimore if you want to commute down I-70.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsloan
I found that to be a touch extreme, but the city is certainly a rough place to be after dark.
+1

Most of the comments from those who say the whole city's a ****hole, crime-ridden, etc. are based largely in fact that they've never spent an appreciable amount of time IN any major city.

I lived by Baltimore for 10 years, I worked IN Baltimore for about 8 of those years. And I worked in some of the worst, run-down areas of the city. And I'm still here.

It's like any other major city: if you're stupid, you're going to run into trouble.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:59 AM   #24
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
+1

Most of the comments from those who say the whole city's a ****hole, crime-ridden, etc. are based largely in fact that they've never spent an appreciable amount of time IN any major city.
That's painting with a pretty broad brush, IMO, and frankly unless you know the people personally, its also a hasty generalization.

I doubt there've been any comments in this thread as strong as mine and I GREW UP HERE. I've also lived in Brooklyn New York and DC. From my past work in the music industry, I've been to literally every major city east of the Mississippi River and all of the largest cities west of it.

Regardless of whether any of the commenters have directly lived in a major city, the statistics speak for themselves:
http://www.baltimorekidsdata.org/doc...ess_School.pdf
http://www.baltimorekidsdata.org/doc...n_Fam_Comm.pdf
(even more: Baltimore City Data Collaborative - Information on children and families in Baltimore, Maryland)
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 12-19-2008, 02:10 AM   #25
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneemann View Post
That's painting with a pretty broad brush, IMO, and frankly unless you know the people personally, its also a hasty generalization.
You mean like your comment?

Quote:
Baltimore also lacks the cultural diversity of DC. Baltimore's "cultural diversity" is limited to "White Trash", African Americans, and illegal immigrants all of whom create their own "melting pot of $hit" and which doesn't actually contribute anything to the culture of the city other than to drag it down.
Nice brush you have there.
Quote:
I doubt there've been any comments in this thread as strong as mine and I GREW UP HERE.
Yay. I was born in Baltimore, grew up northeast of Baltimore (and just outside in between).

For the OP's sake, can we get back on topic now?

Quick Reply