Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Global Warming? Crazy weather here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #1
Willy Boner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Global Warming? Crazy weather here.

One week ago, it was 80 degrees, this morning I wake up and it is 32 degrees and snowing. This does not happen in Western Oregon. We are only a couple of weeks from putting in our gardens. Got about an 1 or so on the Willamette Valley floor. Oh well, time to throw snow balls!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Yes it does! One of my neighbors said they got a foot of snow in late April back in the '50's. I have been tracking the weather since I moved here and just about every month the last two years has seen highs way above average and lows way below average. So far this month, the high was 18F above the average high and the low 7F below the average low ...

Both on the same day!

A little snow in the Cascades today.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 04-19-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

We missed out on the snow last night by a few miles. But it's only 37 degrees out this morning. I'd really like some sun right now for my hops, looks like the weather will be better toward the middle/end of next week.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It is very rarely possible to attribute an individual weather event to climate change. Chances are that what you are observing could have happened anyway, but climate change may be making this type of event more (or less) likely to occur. It will be a few more decades until truly novel weather events due to shifting climatic envelopes will become widespread.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 04-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Willy Boner
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor
It is very rarely possible to attribute an individual weather event to climate change. Chances are that what you are observing could have happened anyway, but climate change may be making this type of event more (or less) likely to occur. It will be a few more decades until truly novel weather events due to shifting climatic envelopes will become widespread.
Or maybe centurys, I wasn't being serious but the polar bears that are training for the Olympics may disagree!

Quick Reply