Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Global Warming can lick my bean bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #1
MikeFlynn74
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Default Global Warming can lick my bean bag

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/473786.html

We got new snow in the mountians right outside of anchorage. We dont normally get that until late sept/oct

Quote:
Gloomy summer headed toward infamy

CHILLY: Anchorage could hit 65 degrees for fewest days on record.

By GEORGE BRYSON
gbryson@adn.com

Published: July 24th, 2008 12:10 AM
Last Modified: July 24th, 2008 04:56 PM

The coldest summer ever? You might be looking at it, weather folks say.
Click to enlarge

Right now the so-called summer of '08 is on pace to produce the fewest days ever recorded in which the temperature in Anchorage managed to reach 65 degrees.

That unhappy record was set in 1970, when we only made it to the 65-degree mark, which many Alaskans consider a nice temperature, 16 days out of 365.

This year, however -- with the summer more than half over -- there have been only seven 65-degree days so far. And that's with just a month of potential "balmy" days remaining and the forecast looking gloomy.

National Weather Service meteorologist Sam Albanese, a storm warning coordinator for Alaska, says the outlook is for Anchorage to remain cool and cloudy through the rest of July.

"There's no real warm feature moving in," Albanese said. "And that's just been the pattern we've been stuck in for a couple weeks now."

In the Matanuska Valley on Wednesday snow dusted the Chugach. On the Kenai Peninsula, rain was raising Six-Mile River to flood levels and rafting trips had to be canceled.

So if the cold and drizzle are going to continue anyway, why not shoot for a record? The mark is well within reach, Albanese said:

"It's probably going to go down as the summer with the least number of 65-degree days."

MEASURING THE MISERY

In terms of "coldest summer ever," however, a better measure might be the number of days Anchorage fails to even reach 60.

There too, 2008 is a contender, having so far notched only 35 such days -- far below the summer-long average of 88.

Unless we get 10 more days of 60-degree or warmer temperatures, we're going to break the dismal 1971 record of only 46 such days, a possibility too awful to contemplate.

• 70-degree days. So far this summer there have been two. Usually there are 15. Last year there were 21. In 2004 there were 49.

• 75-degree days. So far this summer there've been zero. Usually there are four. It may be hard to remember, but last year there were 21. In 2004 there were 23.

So are all bets off on global warming? Hardly, scientists say. Climate change is a function of long-term trends, not single summers or individual hurricanes.

Last year the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change concluded that it's "unequivocal" the world is warming, considering how 11 of the warmest years on record have occurred in the past 13 years.

So what's going on in Alaska, which also posted a fairly frigid winter?

LA NINA

Federal meteorologists trace a lot of the cool weather to ocean temperatures in the South Pacific.

When the seas off the coast of Peru are 2 to 4 degrees cooler than normal, a La Nina weather pattern develops, which brings cooler-than- normal weather to Alaska.

For most of the past year, La Nina (the opposite of El Nino, in which warmer-than-normal ocean temperatures occur off Peru) has prevailed. But that's now beginning to change.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Web site, water temperatures in the eastern South Pacific began to warm this summer -- and the weather should eventually follow.

The current three-month outlook posted by the national Climate Prediction Center in Camp Springs, Md., calls for below-normal temperatures for the south coast of Alaska from August through October -- turning to above-normal temperatures from October through December.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My sister is down on the Kenai peninsula and my Dad is working up by Willow this year. They are always talking about the cool temps this year.

The thing that irks me about cool weather vs. global warming is that some scientists will claim that global warming is causing the cooling.

For you Mike, just brew lots of big heavy ABV beers to warm you up.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

We've had a crap summer so far. Only a few hot days.
Thankfully today is one of maybe 10.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Global warming is a bit of a misnomer since it only applies in certain areas, in others a cooler, damper climate is setting in. That is why most scholarly articles refer to it as "climate change" now where as fearmongerers and the ill-informed use the term "global warming".

Here in Colorado for example we have had little to no rain (where normally it rains for about 15min every afternoon in the summer) and has been hot as balls (90+ for 15 days and counting). Winters have been more extreme also, with tons of snow and cold, even in the front range. From what I've heard and exerpienced the Pac-NW from Oregon up through BC and parts of AK have milder summers, and wetter, shorter winters.

Last edited by Parker36; 07-26-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

global warming is a general term, katrina and crap like that will be more commmon due to increased (worldwide) temps and water. warming is still in the .10s of degrees.

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Old 07-26-2008, 08:52 PM   #6
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I think I could re-adapt to the Alaskan climate with no problem. I remember wearing a T-shirt on summer days in the mid-50's, and those long summer days kicked a@@.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

yea its not warm today but im in shorts and a t

I grill out when its snowing!

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 07-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #8
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFlynn74 View Post
I grill out when its snowing!
How awesome is that!

Old 07-27-2008, 03:03 AM   #9
Philip1993
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker36 View Post
Global warming is a bit of a misnomer since it only applies in certain areas, in others a cooler, damper climate is setting in. That is why most scholarly articles refer to it as "climate change" now where as fearmongerers and the ill-informed use the term "global warming".
Very true... Global climate change can lick my bean bag

Old 07-27-2008, 06:31 AM   #10
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I love how the experts claim that the "temperatures today are warmer than they have been in the last 500 years". Implicit in that statement is that it was this warm 500 years ago. What caused the the temps to be this warm 500 years ago? Cow farts and campfires maybe?

Quick Reply