Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Getting Rid Of Barrel Odors?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 976 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 2686

Default Getting Rid Of Barrel Odors?

OK, so I have a chance to buy a used, food grade plastic 55 gallon barrel for $30, the catch is it was formerly used to store/ship flavouring syrups like orange, peach, etc...

Now i'd love to have a 55 gallon barrel to ferment in, but I don't want 55 gallons of orange flavoured cider/wine/etc... Now I haven't had much luck in getting rid of the odors that plastics seem to hold onto by using the baking soda & water soak, and I'm concerned about the plastic holding some of the chemical odors from things like bleach.

So, if it were you, what would you use to rid the barrel of these fruity odors, or would you just pass on the purchase in the 1st place?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply