Getting laid off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DregAddict

Reaction score
Just got the news today that I've got 90 days left at my job and then that's it. And it's not a cost cutting thing, or eliminating positions thing either. The entire company is going out of business and about 100 people will be losing their jobs.

I'm lucky enough to have saved a decent amount, so I've got a pretty decent cushion built up for this exact reason. Also, I've already lined up one interview with a new company and definitely will be pulling out all my networking skills to get more interviews scheduled. On top of that I've got a SWMBO that is really supportive and has a great job of her own.

What really sucks is that I am the manager of my department and I have about 20 people working under me. It fell on me to inform them all of the news. A lot of these people are working multiple jobs to support their families, so they won't qualify for any unemployment when we close. Others are just college kids trying to work their way through school. They'll have a hell of a time finding new jobs that will work with their class schedules since the semester has already started. I have a 53 year old guy that works for me that had two jobs as of two weeks ago because he needed the extra income. He has been admitted to the hospital twice in the last year from being overstressed and exhausted, so his doctor told him to cut out one job and just live off less money(I guess it's better than working yourself to death). So he quit his other job and stayed on with us. Now I have to lay him off.

****ty, ****ty situation.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. My company has had several layoffs over the past 2 years. It's really disheartening to hear it happen to people so close to you. It seems like every time they lay off a round of people, the higher ups always say "this is the last round." Somehow, it keeps going on. I really feel for ya man, it's never easy for anyone. I've seen a few good friends go over the years. Best of luck to you. Keep your head up and don't lose faith with applications for new positions. It's easy to be discouraged, but keep at it. It'll work out; it always does. I'm a firm believer in that.

Yeah and the big news today was the drop in new unemployment claims indicated the recession is almost over. Yeah right. Good luck to you and all those in your charge.

At least everyone is finding out at the same time.

Where I used to work, they laid off a few people every week. Every Friday everyone got nervous waiting till noon or so to see who the hatchet was going to drop on this time. It really sucked. It was a real positive place to work for 6 months or so.

Sorry to hear that. My last job decided to remove me from my position to diversify and offered me a position elsewhere at a 1/3rd pay cut. I declined and had a crap time finding employment. After about 8 months, I got into a job that I enjoy and has much better benefits. The pay isn't as high, but it is better than what they tried to dump on me at the last place.

Right now, my wife is looking at being bought out from her company. More fun with the economy.

I've seen a lot of people come out on top with things like this.

I guess all you can do is drive on an roll with the punches and hope for the best.

As far as those working for you, just remember that it is not your doing. You are simply the messenger. We all play the bearer of bad news role at some point in life.

Sorry man. I went through that last year this time to the day. Two undergrad degrees, a master degree, 12 years in the field and I am working three part time jobs. At first it hurt than I sucked it up but nothing changed and I started getting worried.

Then I re realized the most important people and parts of life and haven't been happier. Poorer but richer in life. Keep on keeping on, one door closes another opens.

Getting laid off is never good, but at least you had some warning. My personal record is being informed that the company was purchased at a 9 a.m. meeting and being told to be out of the building by 11! Everyone, from the president on down. Thank you, Qualcomm.

I went through the same thing last year. Try to stay positive, but NETWORK like crazy. Don't feel bad asking people in the same field as you. Most of the people I work with have their jobs because they were able to find someone in the company to recommend them.

Thanks for the words of support guys. The funny thing is that I had wanted to move on from my job for a while now, but I was kind of dragging my heels. So now I'll just throw the old resume out there and get something new going. The interview I have lined up would actually set me up for a 10% pay raise. So I'll be fine. I'm just really upset that so many people I care about are going to be out of a job as well. I started from the ground up with this company, and since I have a college degree I was able to climb the ladder a bit. But many of the same people I started with and worked beside are the ones that I had to break the news to today.

I went through the same thing last year. Try to stay positive, but NETWORK like crazy. Don't feel bad asking people in the same field as you. Most of the people I work with have their jobs because they were able to find someone in the company to recommend them.

Yeah, the interview I have lined up is actually for my best friend's job. He's been working in a similar industry since college, and he's getting a promotion and they are filling his position with someone new. So I'm going to have him school me on all things in and out about his position and try to ace the interview.

The whole part about having to tell those under you is the absolute worse part. It is obvious that you are the kind of guy who really gives a damn. I hope you end up way ahead of this. My best to you and yours.

True story (told to me): Fire drill, everyone out on the sidewalk, the laid-off ones not let back into the building. Yea, I thought it was BS too, but the professional I was having lunch with told me it really happened. Hard to believe.

A company I was with previously got raided by FBI, more than 50 guys in gear rushing into the building from an unmarked van. That's fun. End of company.

passedpawn said:
True story (told to me): Fire drill, everyone out on the sidewalk, the laid-off ones not let back into the building. Yea, I thought it was BS too, but the professional I was having lunch with told me it really happened. Hard to believe.

A company I was with previously got raided by FBI, more than 50 guys in gear rushing into the building from an unmarked van. That's fun. End of company.

Re fire drill: that's just ass!

Re FBI: must have been a big van :)

My first correctional job laid me off and then discovered they were short staff that day. They asked me to stay for one last shift. I did because, well money is nice. Anyway, the supervisor came onto my unit and complained to me about something I was or wasn't doing that annoyed him. I told him I could walk out right then if he had a big issue with it. Being that they were already short people, he shut up and left. It's nice having that level of power on days like that.

I'm going through the same thing... We had 90 days notice as well, then the doors closed for good (80 people)! It's tough, no doubt... I had been with them for 15+ years, and it was my first real job out of school!

I wish you the best of luck! :mug:

Back