Getting a Dog Tomorrow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
Well, probably. We're going to check it out, and unless something goes horribly awry we'll be bringing him home from the shelter:

OK64.9768474-2-pn.jpg

He's a one year old Dachshund, nuetered, all shots, and housebroken. He was abandoned by his previous owners when they moved.....just left him and a couple others in their back yard.

My wife has never been too hot on the idea of getting a pet, mainly due to allergy concerns. A couple weeks ago, she mentioned getting a pet for our son, and we talked it over. I started at fish, worked up to hamsters, birds, cats, and we finally decided the best pet for us (and him) would be a dog. So, I figured I'd better strike while the iron is hot.

Our son doesn't know yet....it'll be an early Christmas surprise. I'm excited, but I have to admit that I'm a little nervous now....it's going to be a big change for us. I had a dog in the past, but this is going to be damn near like moving a new kid into the house.

SwAMi75 said:
He was abandoned by his previous owners when they moved.....just left him and a couple others in their back yard.
Those sons-a-b!tches! How can a person abondon an animal that looks to them for care and companionship? To treat a living creature like a discarded piece of furniture is reprehensible.

Enjoy your dog. I'm glad he found a proper home to go to. I'm sure he's better off than with the asshats that abandoned him. Poor thing.

I wish you well. Read up on the latest dog care, I probably wouldn't have agreed to getting a dog if I knew the next six years would be short on sleep and shorter on temper. (I have a nine month old, bundle of joy but a strain on everything else)

I completley agree, there are some real freaks out there.

Congrats on getting a dog, or should I say the possibility of getting one. Dogs are awesome and I am sure your son will love it. My children both like playing with the dog, they climb all over him while he is laying on the floor. They are both under 3 yrs old and the dog "Marley" is not even two yet, no worries!!!

As I say to my adopted cockapoo, "Saturday is Adoption Day", when good dogs get new homes, new friends and a nice bowl of food.

(she was adopted on a Saturday, of course)
I greet her every Saturday with that saying... we have fun!

Good luck with your new friend, I wish you all well...!

Cheesefood said:
Dogs are better than most people.

Thanks for the translation.:D

I think dogs are great. If we had the space we would probably get a few more.

SwAMi75 said:
Well, probably. We're going to check it out, and unless something goes horribly awry we'll be bringing him home from the shelter:

OK64.9768474-2-pn.jpg

He's a one year old Dachshund, nuetered, all shots, and housebroken. He was abandoned by his previous owners when they moved.....just left him and a couple others in their back yard.

My wife has never been too hot on the idea of getting a pet, mainly due to allergy concerns. A couple weeks ago, she mentioned getting a pet for our son, and we talked it over. I started at fish, worked up to hamsters, birds, cats, and we finally decided the best pet for us (and him) would be a dog. So, I figured I'd better strike while the iron is hot.

Our son doesn't know yet....it'll be an early Christmas surprise. I'm excited, but I have to admit that I'm a little nervous now....it's going to be a big change for us. I had a dog in the past, but this is going to be damn near like moving a new kid into the house.

Dogs are the best, I bought a Springer puppy for my son this past march, my son and that dog are truly unseperable everywhere 1 goes the other follows its great to watch, and as far as a dachsund...they are wonderful pets and shed very little if at all so the allergies wont flare up that bad.CONGRATS!!! it will be fun!

That's great, good luck! And good job on adopting a shelter dog -- there are plenty of good dogs that are just itching for a good home.

There may be a lot of sniffing around and timid movements at first, but once he gets used to his new home you'll feel like he's been part of the family for years.

I'm not much for cheesy religious prayers or sayings, but I do like this one....

Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

:mug:

Congrats on the new family member! You need LOTS of patience with shelter dogs. It has been my experience that most shelter dogs are there for a reason-usually the reason is that the previous owner couldn't handle them for one reason or another. My greyhound mix was a shelter dog-she and her brother were drop-offs, too-but she was a TON of work for the first couple of years. It can be done, but as I said, you need a lot of patience. Good luck!

I think you'll find most of the time it is the previous owner that had the problem. Not the dog.

Both of mine are rescues. One was wild but she's a terrier. The other had broken ribs and was timid.

They both made wonderful dogs.

You've made a wonderful decision. I had a doxie when I was little, and she was the best. I adopted my Great Dane last year- there are tons of those for adoption from people who can't handle their "sheer volume" as SWMBO calls it- and he has been one of the best decisions I've made.

Bah Humbug said:
I think you'll find most of the time it is the previous owner that had the problem. Not the dog.

Both of mine are rescues. One was wild but she's a terrier. The other had broken ribs and was timid.

They both made wonderful dogs.

A lot of time that is indeed the problem. But the dog will still require lots of work. Again, that's not to say it can't be done. I've done it, you've done it, anyone can, just is harder. But worth it.

SwAMi75 said:

OK64.9768474-2-pn.jpg

Congrats!!!! You'll love it so much. - Swami I got my Labrador from Luv-my-labs - I think it was in Choctaw. I used to live in Shawnee.

Well, he's ours. As I said before, the dog was housetrained/broken, the owners just abandoned him when they left. He was in the shelter for about two weeks. He's a little skinny, but otherwise perfectly healthy and happy. He barfed in his kennel on the ride home, which I rather appreciated as it indoctniated them into the reality of dogownership right off the bat. :)

Unfortunately, I can't get any pics. My camera decided to go on the fritz. :rolleyes:

Schlenkerla said:
Congrats!!!! You'll love it so much. - Swami I got my Labrador from Luv-my-labs - I think it was in Choctaw. I used to live in Shawnee.

Cool! We got him from OK Save-a-Dog, in Prague.

Looks like Rasta Dog (AKA Rasputin AKA Rusty). Had him for 12 years.

2113-100-0160.JPG

You may have to give up walking barefoot in the house. Toes look a lot like kibble to a doxie.

well it looks like I may be following suit. The wife thinks it will be a great idea to get a dog. Of course the kids and SWMBO want a puggle. Nothing at the shelter...of course. So she went on puppyfinder.com and found this little guy:

157id4x3u75.jpg

The more I look at him, the more I like him. I was thinking of naming him hops or something. SWMBO and the kids have different thoughts though.

DaveyBoy said:
\And good job on adopting a shelter dog -- there are plenty of good dogs that are just itching for a good home.

x2, my dog is the greatest friend in the world, for $95, he came fixed, house broken, and slightly trained, best $95 I ever spent!

P1000727.jpg

Got a new camera.....here's George:

george31.jpg

It's impossible to get a good pic of him, because he's always right up on me.

He's really good natured, and easy going. SWMBO adores him, and she's not a dog person. He wasn't exactly housebroken like the lady at the shelter said, but we're getting that taken care of. We were set back a little by the ice storm last week.....we were without power from Sunday to Friday. Kind of hard to give the dog the attention he needed, then convince him to go out in the cold ass rain to take a dump. But, we're about 75% there.

I took him to the vet today, and he has ringworm. :rolleyes: Add that to all the "stuff" we've bought for his comfort and health, and he's gotten a bit more expensive than we'd forseen. But, it's no big deal. I think we made the right decision, and we're all going to get along just fine. :)

George suites him.

Trust me, the house training is an ongoing battle. You think you got them trained and then all of a sudden you find a pile a couple times. Then its back to training. They are so worth the effort though. Congratulations

Back