Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Garage Heat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #1
doggage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Garage Heat

The sub-zero temperatures have put a bit of a damper on working in my detached garage/shop. Does anyone have suggestions for a cheap and efficient way to heat a detached garage? I'm not crazy about the propane heaters because I don't like the idea of constantly running to refill on gas. I'm considering a wood stove and thought a cheap option would be to make one out of a keg. Any thoughts?

With all the creative minds on this forum and all the brew sheds popping up, I figured it would be a good place to start.

Reason: detached garage

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1014 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Since running nat gas to my brewstand, I just run one of the burners for 10 minutes to take the chill off.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 12-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Unfortunately I'm still using propane. I'm thinking that wouldn't be too efficient, but at least I wouldn't have to buy anything else. I'm thinking carbon monoxide might be a concern. How do you get around that in your garage?

I also thought the wood stove might be a nice way to use up scrap wood and twigs and whatnot from the yard.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

perhaps a kerosene heater, i've got one for my garage at home and it works pretty well, i havent died yet, i do open it a couple inches for ventilation though

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #5
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Is your garage insulated? If not, a heater isn't going to help much.......

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nope, it's an old, uninsulated carriage house from 1900.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 AM   #7
Mista_Sparkle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well, I suppose, are you planning to have it constantly warm for brewing whatnot or just for when your in there?

Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout

Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
CDbrews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like the idea of a wood stove. A buddy has one as the only source of heat in his cabin and its great. only downside is that he struggled to find someone to insure the place with the old woodburner in there.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

insulation, as mentioned.

a wood stove with a few metal barrels full of water above the stove. the water gets warm and stays warm for hours.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:40 AM   #10
Bdogg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know you said no propane but this is what I'd go for:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...n%2BHeater.jsp

Maybe you don't have Canadian tire but I'm sure you could find something similar

It can run up to 29h on one 20lb propane tank or so it claims, which is pretty efficient and it heats 600 sqft. $130. If you weren't looking for a permanent heat source that wouldn't be too bad. Turn it on 15 mins before you started brewing and you'd probably be good to go. This would only be good if you didn't need the place warm all the time. Cheap, quick, and probably puts out enough heat that you wouldn't need to insulate and you could still be decently warm while it was on.

I think the wood stove idea is cool. There was a big black cast iron one in my uncle's cabin when I was a kid. What I remember about it is that you start a fire inside and then shut and lock it, and then wait. And wait and wait. It takes a long time for that thing to start giving enough heat off to warm up the entire room but once it does you're laughing. Mind you that place was very well insulated so there's that to consider. I'd hate for you to go to the trouble of making a wood stove and then find out that without the insulation it wasn't going to cut it. There's some risk there. Depends on how cold it is outside and how warm you want to be inside I guess.

Quick Reply