Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Fusion of the Spine

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
fretman124
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fusion of the Spine

After a couple years of pain, pain, PAIN, I finally went to the doctor and he told me I'm getting a fusion at L4-L5 and a disctectomy at L5-S1. I told him after this I better not see him for twenty years.....

Anybody have this (or similiar) done and what can I expect?

The only bennie I can see is pharmacutical drugs for a few weeks and lots of time to brew after the first month.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I would think that brewing would be difficult during your time off. Even with pumps, there seems to be quite a bit of lifting involved in the hobby and you should probably be aiming to avoid that.

Good luck with that; doesn't sound like fun at all.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

i would REALLY take it easy on that back during your recovery time. make sure you're good and well before you lift anything larger than a beer

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 11-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
Oakwoodforge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

See a Chiropractor and Acupuncture therapist first , I had a "doctor " / "neuro-surgeon" who wanted to chop on me after a car accident about 13 years ago. I gave the bastage the finger and went old school. 2 months of massage therapy / acupuncture / acupressure & chiropractic work and I'm A -OK. Considering that I'm a blacksmith, Heavy lifting and large hammers are my daily bread , My "portable "anvil weighs 153 lbs... I don't even take Advil anymore. If I would have went with my "Doctor " I would have a 50% chance of being in a wheel chair today and no guarantees on living either... Get a 2nd 3rd & 4th professional opinion before you go under the knife !!!

Jens

Old 11-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

I've known several people who have had fusions done, including my father and brother. Both were fairly successful, but it takes several months for the bone growth to really get solid.

I also know one woman who took the Chiropractic route and ended up in a wheelchair. She finally got the fusion done and gets around with a cane.

So far, my back hasn't gotten too bad and I've gotten by with chiropractic and TENS.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakwoodforge
See a Chiropractor and Acupuncture therapist first , I had a "doctor " / "neuro-surgeon" who wanted to chop on me after a car accident about 13 years ago. I gave the bastage the finger and went old school. 2 months of massage therapy / acupuncture / acupressure & chiropractic work and I'm A -OK. Considering that I'm a blacksmith, Heavy lifting and large hammers are my daily bread , My "portable "anvil weighs 153 lbs... I don't even take Advil anymore. If I would have went with my "Doctor " I would have a 50% chance of being in a wheel chair today and no guarantees on living either... Get a 2nd 3rd & 4th professional opinion before you go under the knife !!!

Jens
I had my first acupuncture treatment a few weeks ago to aleve an aching back. I was tired of the stonieness of vicodine. The acupuncture doesn't hurt at all and I felt much better after the treatment and my back recovered much faster than usual. Even if you're skeptical of it, try it one day instead of drugs. When you're brewing again in another week or two, remember to post a thank you for the advice.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
Neomich
Recipes 

I have no personal experience with major back injuries. One of our weapons masters had some serious back issues though. A few different docs told him they wanted to do some sort of surgery and he had like a 50/50 prognosis. He didn't really like those odds so he started stretching really well every day with yoga.

He's now just fine and the doctors don't believe it. I would definitely check out accupuncture and/or a chiropractor and see what happens.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-Frank Zappa

Quick Reply