The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Frustrated (Shingles on a 15 month old)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Frustrated (Shingles on a 15 month old)

About a month ago my daughter went to the doc and we were told not to worry the bump on her eye lid was just a stye and it would go away. While on vacation it came back and we did not worry about it. Saterday we got home and it looked fine and Sunday it looked like someone had punched her. We took her to the urgent care and were told that she has shingles and she has had the outbreak for a long time.
So we start tring to get an appointment for here becase the Doc says it is urgent and we got told the earliest possiable appointment is the 31st.. We tell the MIL what is going on and she calls a friend who calls an optomoligist at home and he came in early to see my daughter before the office even opens. We had to drive an hour and a half to get her there but it is a lot better than waiting for a week. I have to say thank you to the doc becase he was very nice of him to come in early to see my daughter on a monday morning let along take the call Sunday night durring football..

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton
http://whatalesyou.webs.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 366

...and how much was the bill from the 1st doc who said it was nothing?

Old 01-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #3
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nothing we have Tri Care and it was a military Doc. The Ped Doc is usually perty good.

“Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist; children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed.”
― G.K. Chesterton

Old 01-24-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
TxBrew
Der Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 1573 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 811

Going through something similar. My Son had a stye that would not go away, took him to a Pediatric Optomologist which took over a month to get into even with insurance.

He said it's now a chalazia and we have to rub this ointment on his eye every night which is a dream.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

well good news it is not shingles (herpes zoster) acording to the Opto doc but it is simplex a (a nasty cold sore) with the anti virel she is now taking it should be gone in a few days. What fun thank you Sue for the phone call and thank you doc for the visit...

― G.K. Chesterton

Old 01-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Whew! Shingles in kids is rare?? But my friend had it at close to 40. Nightmare!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
jmendez29
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I had my first case of shingles at age 31. It was a VERY minor case, just a few places across my back. The few things I remember my doc telling me about it was that it's a form of herpes which apparently "lives" in the nervous system. As such, it can easily be triggered by stress. At the time I was extremely stressed out at work which would explain why I got it at such a young age compared to the stereotypical case.

So when I read that your young child had shingles, I was very curious about this.

Does that make me an ***hole?

No, that's not what makes you an ***hole.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
snccoulter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

she is doing fine now the break out is almost gone and she looks like a healthey young girl again. instead of a prize fighter...

― G.K. Chesterton

Quick Reply