Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > FRINGE (for struggling LOST addicts)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 AM   #1
bernerbrau
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default FRINGE (for struggling LOST addicts)

Anyone else catch the Fringe premiere?

I thought it was pretty good. Sort of a LOST-meets-X-Files thing. Should be an interesting season. They sure did wrap up the pilot pretty tight compared to your typical episode from a certain other show by the same producer...

Though I'm beginning to catch onto JJ's "start with an interesting premise, then keep raising more questions than you answer" technique for keeping a show popular. I'm thinking if you have to rely on that method to hook people in, something's wrong.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #2
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, caught it and made a (low priority) Season Pass out of it on tivo.

Some of it was interesting, some irritating. The main female lead looks like about 100 different other actresses, depending on how the camera catches her. Clair Danes, Maria Bello, etc.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM   #3
Repsychler
Recipes 

I saw it last night, and so far I like it. I never really watched much X-files, and have never seen Lost, but this show looks like it could have promise.
A few minutes into it, my wife comes in the room and asks me what I'm watching. I tell her it's that new show Fringe and she asks how it is. I told her it started out with a planeload of people's faces melting off. For some reason, this didn't entice her to watch the rest of it.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Hah, TiVo. And here I am, still on basic cable.

I was a little upset at how they were able to get an insane convicted murderer out of a high-security mental institution and resurrect his secret Harvard laboratory (abandoned 17 years prior) with virtually zero difficulty.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I kind of liked it. Only problem is it's going to be on opposite Eueka on SciFi which I love. I know what you mean about getting the proff out of the asylum with just his son signing him out. Also did anyone catch when they were tracking down the guy who poisoned the people on the plane? They show the agents all running up the stairwell in the appt bldg for what looked like 4 or 5 floors and then they find a trap door to a lab? WTF happened to the floor below him, did he rent that out too?? Anyway I'll probably catch it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I thought John Noble's character was freakin' hilarious. I couldn't wait to hear what crazy crack came out of his mouth next!

I know what you mean by Anna Torv looking like someone else. I figured she was the poor man's Cate Blanchett.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I recorded it but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll probably hit it up sometime this weekend.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Ego Archive
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I thought it was a fun show, although I suspect I will need to disengage my brain to enjoy it.

How exactly did the younger Bishop get away with assault (twice) scot free?

Planning:SWMBO Berry wine, Imperial Coffee Stout, Shaved Nut(s) Brown ale.
In Primary:Apfelwein, American Pale Ale
In Secondary:
Conditioning:Sweet Chocolate Stout
On Tap: Apple Clove Mead (Bottled), 120 IPA Clone,Thanksgiving Amber Gruit (yuck), Pyment, Sweet Chocolate Stout

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I didn't know about it until now...but if it is, as you say it is, another "ask more questions than you answer every week" kind of thing, eff that. I've put up with more than enough of it on Lost.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I didn't know about it until now...but if it is, as you say it is, another "ask more questions than you answer every week" kind of thing, eff that. I've put up with more than enough of it on Lost.
If the pilot is any indication, it seems like they've scaled it back a bit so it's not as much a serial drama as weekly episodes with an overarching plot, but it definitely comes through a bit since it seems to be his M.O.

Quick Reply