Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Fringe benefits of your job

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #21
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkelly View Post
My company operates in a Results Only Work Environment (ROWE)
Awesome! I've never heard of that term specifically, but there is a lot to be said for being able to complete your assignments as you see fit as long as they are done correctly and timely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #22
Tex
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I manage a truck and equipment business. When we get oddball packages in I can sometimes snag some sweet equipment really cheap. I got a Lincoln Powermig 255 for $150 a few months back. I also can throw my dealer plate on any truck I want to drive so I can keep the miles off my personal truck. My company covers all of my expenses when I'm traveling to look at equipment, been all over the country. I have freedom to use our equipment and trailers as needed.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #23
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A lot of items listed above are not fringe benefits but actual benefits.

I used to work in a Research and Development center. I had unlimited access to any metal I wanted, tools, welders, mills, lathes, metal brakes, and hardware. It was a dream. Left for a higher salary advancing my career but I loved having access to those tools then.

Current position would be ability to come and go when I please to an extent. I get to see new technology in my field when it comes out and is introduced, and access to a lot of computer programs.

The fact I love what I do and the people I work with are all awesome is great as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #24
troysoy2
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Food service industry: I can haul off a ton of ice whenever I need it. Makes for quick cooling times on the brew day.

Yep, that's about it. I get to eat smoked salmon whenever I want, too, I suppose. Mmm.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
half_whit
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I work in the inner harbor and I have a full-time parking pass for our private lot, so (if I actually wanted to be here on my days off) I could walk around the harbor and not have to pay for downtown city parking

Also, I work with kids. I get to climb on a jungle gym any time I want and call it "research"

Planning: Heady Topper Clone,
Primary: Nutella Stout
Secondary 1:
Secondary 2:
Bottled:
Kegged:

Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
bdkelly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-love View Post
Awesome! I've never heard of that term specifically, but there is a lot to be said for being able to complete your assignments as you see fit as long as they are done correctly and timely.
It's awesome. You technically get unlimited vacation/sick time because you don't really keep track of hours. We transitioned almost two years ago, and it's been a life-changer. There are tons of ripple effects like we don't have to pay for before and after care for our daughter because I can be home to get her on the bus and when she gets home. Two summers ago, I worked from my family's place on Lake Erie for a month. We're a nonprofit, so I don't get paid that much, but stuff like this makes it very hard to leave.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #27
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 406 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 324

HS Biology Teacher -

-Summers off, weekends and holidays for brewing
-Get to check HBT during free period and lunch
-Get to teach students about yeast, respiration and alcoholic fermentation
*** I even do a lab with my College Credit students where we use the mashing process to discuss enzymes, starch conversion and the effects of temperature on the process - Makes the lower level of the school smell like "brewing." Hopefully tour a brewery next year - one will be finished in our area.

Primary: Heady Topper Clone, Double Citra IPA, Munich Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Schwarzbier, Oktoberfest, Bourbon Barrel Porter
Future Brews: Bo-Pilsner, Porter, APA, American Brown, Oatmeal Stout, Schwarzbier #2, British Dark Mild, More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #28
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 638 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 251

my organization throws several events each week, and the catering staff bring the untouched left-overs to the lunch room... so i have free (and tasty!) lunch provided for me 2-3 times a week. sometimes there is so much i can bring some home, so SWMBO and i get a night off from cooking.

i have to travel to NYC about once a month, on days of my choosing, so i can line that up with a concert, tap take-over, exhibition, etc.

i have my own office and my supervisor is in another city so as long as i get my work done, i can spend a lot of time on HBT

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small beer second runnings, our bruin & a few other sours
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff, and acerglyn.
Up next: harvest ale with homegrown hops

Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #29
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Well I do not work. But the wife is getting tired of seeing my mug all day so I guess we are starting a LHBS. Hehe get to brew and drink at work

Old 03-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #30
Dutch218
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by half_whit
I work in the inner harbor and I have a full-time parking pass for our private lot, so (if I actually wanted to be here on my days off) I could walk around the harbor and not have to pay for downtown city parking

Also, I work with kids. I get to climb on a jungle gym any time I want and call it "research"
I work at a hotel right in the inner harbor. I pay for my pass but it does come in handy when going out DT. As a hotel employee I can travel pretty cheap which is nice. I went to a gorgeous resort in Phuket Thailand for $84 a night. Anyone else would be paying $300+.

Quick Reply