The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > found a dog.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #21
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyT View Post
...You could pick up a little electric heater for $15 at walmart and put it next to his blankets in the garage? Preferably secured somehow so he can't knock it over (though most of those heaters have auto shutoff now...)
Looks like it's going to get under 30° tonight, so we did buy a little space heater....not much help but I guess it's better than sleeping outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNBrews View Post
...However, the situation may be more complex than you think. What if the owner had someone that stops over periodically to check on the dog and somehow the dog got free when he was let out to go potty, and ran. The dog sitter couldn't find it, and is now worried.

You should probably call animal control to see if someone reported it missing.
My wife talked to 4 neighbors when trying to find the owner that each said they see the dog running around all the time.....I checked our local newspaper and craigslist with no hits, but I will call the Humane Society and Animal Control tomorrow just to be certain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #22
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad to see you're doing your best to help the dog.

We recently "adopted" a stray boxer mix puppy (
The last dog we adopted was always a bit afraid of people indicating he was abused in his past life. It's always sad to see abused dogs.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 03-11-2009, 01:06 AM   #23
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

sell the dog and make some cash

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 AM   #24
IowaHarry
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That pup doesn't look very dachshundish. Looks more like a manchester terrier. And yes, they are known to have a terminal case of the shivers.

He's really working those sad puppy dog eyes ain't he?

Old 03-11-2009, 04:06 AM   #25
Domminigan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been through this many times before. In my area we have lots of idiots that get dogs that they think are "tough" Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Chows, and tons of Chihuahuas. Problem is that I live in an old neighborhood and the idiots don't keep their fences up and the dogs get out. Problem is that I'm in the middle of the city. Loose dogs can get hit, they can get hurt or scared and bite, none of which is good, so I always try to catch the dogs.

From what I've learned over time, you should get the dog checked for a chip, put up photos of the dog for a single week, if nobody actually comes to claim the dog, it gets a new home.

Because of my area, and the types of people I have to deal with, I always go by this list:

1. I determine the dog's aggression.

2. I determine a distinguishing mark on the dog, something that makes it easily identifiable. I then take pictures of the marking for my reference.

3. I take the dog to my vet to get it scanned for the chip. If there is a chip, then I get the address and take the dog back to it's owners and take a look at the place to see how it got out. Usually a broken fence board.

4. If there is no chip and no ID, and there usually isn't, I take one good photo of the dog that does not include the distinguishing mark, and print up flyers. They stay up for one week.

5. Anyone that calls for the dog is asked about the distinguishing mark. If they can't tell me what it is, it's not their dog.

6. After the week is up, I place the dog in my local PALS rescue program. Usually takes a couple weeks, but they always get a new home. One really nice thing about our local PALS is that there is no group cost. It's all volunteers who love animals working on the lists, it's all by phone or email, and whoever puts the animal into the program keeps it until a new home is found.

"For beer, that's not what 'import' means. For beer, import just means better."

Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #26
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1673

From the pics, the pooch looks a lot like a miniature pinscher, maybe a cross. Miniature Pinscher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think it's definitely a mix....I'm horrible at identifying dog breeds. I think it does have some daschund in it though because of the short stubby legs. The ears are something else, though.....

Old 03-11-2009, 02:37 PM   #28
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was thinking about the legalities also, however the easiest thing is to play dumb and say you put food out for it, then it ran off.

Awesome of you though, its a very humane thing to do and nice to see people in the world care.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 03-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #29
UnaBonger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
From the pics, the pooch looks a lot like a miniature pinscher, maybe a cross. Miniature Pinscher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
+1 That's exactly what it is... An ex girlfriend of mine had one. Very sweet personality usually very mellow. Probably get along fine with your cats

Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #30
Aleforge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wikipedia:

The Miniature Pinscher (Zwergpinscher, Min Pin) is a small breed of dog of the Pinscher type, developed in Germany. Miniature Pinschers were first bred to hunt cats.

PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Quick Reply