The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > found a dog.....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
maltMonkey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default found a dog.....

I was out working in my garage last night and this little dachshund mix comes by several times looking a bit cold and scared (it was starting to rain). I tried to approach it and coax it over a few times to see the name on the collar but it kept running off. Finally it came in the garage when I gave it some food.

Tag had no name on it, so my wife walked up and down the block looking for the owner. She found a lady that said "Oh, that's Joe's dog". Went on to say that Joe left for "Columbia" for 3 weeks....apparently leaving the dog on the front porch to fend for itself.

So we put some food, water, and blankets in our garage. This is a very nice, well behaved dog....when I open the garage door it kind of runs up to the opening but then waits until I say "go outside" before it runs out to pee or whatever. It stays curled up in the blankets we put out but it still shivers constantly....makes me feel bad but we have cats in our house and I can't do much more than what I'm doing now.

We are keeping the dog until we can find a new owner (friend of ours) that we trust. We figured if we gave it to an animal shelter it would be dead in 3 days, and as far as I'm concerned its "owner" has lost any rights to it (if he even still wants it).

Just a tough situation because nobody seems to want this very friendly, cold scared dog, we can't take it, but we want to find a good home for it.

Hopefully we'll find someone soon....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Brooklyn-Brewtality
Four Beasts Brewery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good on you for trying to find a good home for it.

I agree with you, though. Anyone who leaves a dog like that doesn't deserve it.

My advice though (which is not legal advice, and i have no knowledge of situation like this) is to make every attempt to contact the owner. If he comes back and wants to sue you you need to be able to prove that he was a bad dog owner and that you made every attempt to contact him before finding a new home for the dog

Kegged: Berlinerweisse, Dubbel, Galaxy Wheat
Bottled: Golden Strong, Mild, IIPA, Rauch
Fermenting: Saison, Imperial Wheat Stout, Brett Saison, APA, Brett Roggenbier

Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 111

You're doing a good thing. Thanks for standing up and taking care of this poor animal.

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
Parker36
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good work on taking care oe that poor dog, and I agree that bringing it to a shelter wouldn't be the best idea. Do look into covering your own ass, though. People irresponsible enough to leave a dog like that have a tendency to be a little sue happy to get some free cash.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

Glad you're looking after that dog. Hope it all works out for the best; for you & the dog, screw the previous owner.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've thought about the legalities of it, and I guess I just don't really care. We've been by the guy's house twice -- lights are off, neighbor said he won't be back for weeks. The guy doesn't know us, and we don't know him. He has no idea the dog wandered over here. If he comes back and wants to file a police report, more power to him. I've had 1000's of dollars worth of stereos/laptops, etc stolen out of my vehicles through the years and the police did not help -- why would they care about a guy's missing dog that he abandoned for 3 weeks? If somehow he learns we found the dog, then our story is it ran off.

I've tried to think of any possible reason for leaving a dog outside, unfenced and unfed for that amount of time, but even if there were a family emergency you still put the dog in a kennel or something.

This guy is not getting his dog back.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Three cheers for maltMonkey!

Hope ya find the feller a warm home, man.

Kyle

Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
gratus fermentatio
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 678 Times on 481 Posts
Likes Given: 1669

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearBeer View Post
Three cheers for maltMonkey!

Hope ya find the feller a warm home, man.
+1, HIP HIP HOORAY!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltMonkey View Post
This guy is not getting his dog back.
Well said. I'm not a huge fan of people, but I do love animals. A portion of my pay gets tithed to the ASPCA every month. I'm very happy to hear that you've done the right thing here, and that you're working to find the dog a good home.

Be a responsible pet owner: spay or neuter your ****head negligent neighbors.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #10
jgln
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sounds like the story of how we got our dog and we love her, had her about 9 months now. Found her on the side of the road injured and took her to the vet. They checked for a chip but did not find one, chain but no tags. We live in rural farmland area and went to most of the houses and no one ever saw her before. We were told our area is a hot spot for abandoning animals, especially cats and some farmers just let them live in their barns.
Anyway, after not finding any leads we got a chip put in her, got her tags and she is ours now. We walk her for about 3 miles around our neighborhood every weekend and never once an inquiry about where we got her. Good luck finding someone to take her. At first we were going to do that too (we have 2 cats) but it took too long and we became attached.

Quick Reply