Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Forks over Knives documentary on disease

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
Chemkrafty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think the biggest take away I have learned after reading all about various diets (paleo, vegan, warrior, abs, mediteranean, etc) and listening to the back and forth on cholesterol, eggs, vitamins is that no one knows jack about how our complex bodies use and process its food or what its capable of.

I look at how our food supply has changed over the last 50 years in which obesity and increasing health issues have come to light and figure, how do I try to go back and copy more of an unadulterated diet. For example, humans have been eating grains and meats since the dawn of civilization. We are biologically herbivores...but what has changed? Big Ag, processed food, CONVENIENCE foods. That's my issue. Not a 100% observer of local, or unprocessed foods ( I still love my ice cream and frozen pizzas!), but my family and I do what we can.

Another good documentary that touches on food, but is more of a historical theory on human expansion is Guns, Germs, and Steel. Highly recommended.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #22
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgln View Post
But you look like the devil.
Your point?

(seen ugly americans? Twayne is AWESOME and he knows it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemkrafty View Post
I think the biggest take away I have learned after reading all about various diets (paleo, vegan, warrior, abs, mediteranean, etc) and listening to the back and forth on cholesterol, eggs, vitamins is that no one knows jack about how our complex bodies use and process its food or what its capable of.

I look at how our food supply has changed over the last 50 years in which obesity and increasing health issues have come to light and figure, how do I try to go back and copy more of an unadulterated diet. For example, humans have been eating grains and meats since the dawn of civilization. We are biologically herbivores...but what has changed? Big Ag, processed food, CONVENIENCE foods. That's my issue. Not a 100% observer of local, or unprocessed foods ( I still love my ice cream and frozen pizzas!), but my family and I do what we can.

Another good documentary that touches on food, but is more of a historical theory on human expansion is Guns, Germs, and Steel. Highly recommended.
Will check that out!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #23
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

Liked 249 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemkrafty
We are biologically herbivores....
Ummm... No.
If you look at the way our teeth have evolved we are omnivores. Name one herbivore who has canine teeth

You cant always be young but you can always be immature

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
Ummm... No.
If you look at the way our teeth have evolved we are omnivores. Name one herbivore who has canine teeth
Hippopotamus, although they're more like tusks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I was not referring to looks btw. My numbers are all in the healthy range. Every test ever done came back not just fine but doing great. My blood pressure is textbook every time. It isn't like I never eat greens. I just put bacon bits on them.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

How old are you Kaconga?, not a competition, just saying, I was the same. Eat anything, never gain weight, triglycerides etc. look great.

At about 36 I developed a slight tummy and became aware that apparently healthy fit males are still capable of dropping dead with no notice at any point.

Now back to trim and good, but acutely aware that I want to live longer than my grandfather did.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #27
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I've watched a bunch if docs, read articles etc. And my wife and I eat as fresh and healthy as possible. We grow what we can, and what we purchase is as fresh, local, and unprocessed as we can get. We rarely eat out (maybe 1-2 times per month on average), and have cut the majority of sugary crap out of our diets.
We do still eat meat, and I generally cook our meals for quality and flavor instead of sprouts and tofurkey.

I believe moderation is key in all things.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
kaconga
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3
How old are you Kaconga?, not a competition, just saying, I was the same. Eat anything, never gain weight, triglycerides etc. look great.

At about 36 I developed a slight tummy and became aware that apparently healthy fit males are still capable of dropping dead with no notice at any point.

Now back to trim and good, but acutely aware that I want to live longer than my grandfather did.
I am 29 and on the lookout for the metabolic slowdown that typically occurs in the 30s. Part of my benefit is I work in a warehouse lifting and stacking 30k lbs of freight 5 days a week. I also hike in the summer and shovel snow in the winter. I just don't get caught up on food stuff.

I don't think I could do the no meat thing honestly. It takes a large effort to make sure you are getting enough b vitamins on a vegan diet. B12 deficiency leads to dementia and if not caught in time can be irreversible. It is rare but happens. Just like cancer is rare but happens.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #29
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

There's no substitute for exercise & general fitness, but the food stuff matters...perhaps more than any other factor to one's health.. How it matters is debatable, but it matters.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #30
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
Ummm... No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Hippopotamus, although they're more like tusks.
Humans are most definitely omnivores as indicated by our dentition. (Some of us are "om-nom-nomnivores" as indicated by their waists )

And yeah, hippos have canines but can only be called canines by the strictest of definitions. They aren't used for tearing meat for food... they're used for fighting and sexual selection.

As far as the main topic, I haven't seen the film but I've heard enough about it to assume it's just an anti-meat flick. Food, Inc., on the other hand, has made SWMBO and I do everything we can to buy free-range meats (organic and grass-fed if possible) and organic vegetables. Heck, you can buy almost anything organic and healthy... canned goods, pastas, dairy, even microwavable meals (Amy's is awesome!) We've also recently really gotten into juicing to get a lot of raw veggies. I've nailed down an amazing tasting recipe (actually good, not just "good for green juice".)

Since we've eliminated 99% of our fast-food intake and taken the aforementioned steps, we've never felt better. And lucky for us our grocery stores carry locally-grown organic veggies and locally raised free range meats. Plus, since the demand for that kind of food is high in the area it's really driven down the prices.

Kegged: Cascadian Dark Ale

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!
TzeentchPlayer Likes This 

Quick Reply