Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Forks over Knives documentary on disease

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Default Forks over Knives documentary on disease

almost wish I could unsee it.

The most profound "study" was in the Netherlands.

When Nazis moved in and confuscated all animals, health improved so dramatically as to be unvbelieveable.

5 years later when animals were brought back, health plummeted to pre war levels.

The study on mice was amazing too. When dairy (to oversimplify) was removed from the mice's diet, cancer levels plummeted.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #2
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A viewing of this, preceded by Food Inc., I think should cause every person to rethink our food system, and how we eat. These two documentaries led my wife and I into deep discussions, research, and ultimately a Vegan lifestyle.

We eased into it (basically, we were not going to throw out non-spoiled food), but have been Vegan ever since, without much effort really. Our freezer is now essentially empty, and our refrigerator is always full.

My wife said the biggest difference at the start is that she became a "maker"; she makes vegan waffles and freezes them, she makes my children's granola bars (which they prefer over store bought), she makes bread, we bought a Champion Juicer which is PHENOMENAL and makes soft serve "ice cream" and sorbet from nothing but frozen fruit (as well as nut butters, pasta sauce, etc as well as juice of course)...

Long story short, we are vegan for health reasons, not moral. That falls in line with the ability of diet to be about %5 from animal products if desired. Although we haven't really, it means when we are with friends or places that are not as vegan friendly, we do not freak out, and just eat as close to it as possible.

For me, when it came down to it, when my best-friend/other half/wife says, "if this can help you, and me, live a longer healthier life, we should do it" how could I say no? She also said, "If I got cancer today, we'd go vegan tomorrow, so why not start today!"

Our family has terrible cancer histories and heart disease, so even though there is no %100 solution, if there is a way to minimize the risk, we are going to do it. Being with each other, and with our children (and future generations) matter. And I say this, as my father died 15 years ago at the age of 56, never meeting my wife, or his grandchildren.

Bottom line- Watch it! If you don't step away and it does not cause you to think about things differently, either you are already on this path, or the facts are too sobering you don't want to face them!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I am peering over the edge of the abyss......lol. Not cancer, but pondering not buying any more meat.

Dairy was the blindside for me. Never would have guessed that dairy was cancer's friend, although a little voice inside always said that meat was hiding some evil things.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
IXVolt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 76

You are going to have to change your name from Cheezydeamon to I dunno, something more AlmondButterDeamon like

Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Lol......might not take it that far. and a small percentage of dairy in mice caused no cancer. so cheese will be my exception.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Chemkrafty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Not trying to be a naysayer as I agree with a lot of the film...like this blogger. However, I did read some of the studies dissected by this review and she has some very good points on how the story was twisted to make their points. A VERY good counterpoint read for those of you who are into the science.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/09/22/for...-and-critique/

That being said, I do not cut meat out of my diet. My biggest beef with the food industry is the processed foods. Even "whole grain" bread is laced with high fructose corn syrup. We try to cut HFCS and other processed foods out. We eat a lot of rice, beans, veggies, fish, other meats, etc. We make our own treats and snacks. Avoid most frozen foods. I've felt much better just cutting out processed foods and all the crap they put in them.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemkrafty View Post
Not trying to be a naysayer as I agree with a lot of the film...like this blogger. However, I did read some of the studies dissected by this review and she has some very good points on how the story was twisted to make their points. A VERY good counterpoint read for those of you who are into the science.

That being said, I do not cut meat out of my diet. My biggest beef with the food industry is the processed foods. Even "whole grain" bread is laced with high fructose corn syrup. We try to cut HFCS and other processed foods out. We eat a lot of rice, beans, veggies, fish, other meats, etc. We make our own treats and snacks. Avoid most frozen foods. I've felt much better just cutting out processed foods and all the crap they put in them.
Even frozen veggies and seafood? Those 2 are damned near necesities for me.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I read her blog posts, and very detailed and intriguing stuff. However, a field experienced Phd with peer reviewed research also had very detailed intriguing stuff!

FOK was not the only factor in my decision, just one of many pieces.

But, I fully agree... the "food machine" is probably the largest killer overall. When my grandparents ate a steak, my grandfather had raised it. When my mother drank milk as a child, she milked the cow (or goat) herself, when it had naturally been impregnated and given birth... When by and large the majority of packaged foods we consume contain traces of (predominantly genetically modified) corn, albeit under varied names and derivations through heavy processing, we have issues.

Thank good for me, beer is vegan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemkrafty View Post

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 07-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Yeah, great article. a grain of salt and it is all good information.

Moderation is what it all comes to.....and the elimination of processed foods.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
riverfrontbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If the beer your drinking has any of this stuff in it, it' not really vegan!

Here is a list of the most common animal products that are used in brewing:

•Isinglass – Clarifier that is very common in brewing. Comes from the dried swim bladders of fish. Almost all cask conditioned ale uses isinglass as a clarifier, although it is more common in England than the U.S.
•Gelatin – Clarifier obtained from the skin, connective tissue, and bones of animals. Typically taken from cattle and frozen pigskin.
•Casein/Potassium Caseinate – Protein found in cow milk used as a clarifier.
•Charcoal – Used for filtering. A portion is usually produced from animal bones.
•Diatomaceous earth – Used in filtering. Comes from fossils or sea shells.
•Insects – Made into dyes and used for coloring.
•Glyceryl monostearate – Animal derived substance used to control foam.
•Pepsin – Also used to control foam; it is sometimes derived from pork.
•White sugar – Flavor additive often whitened using bone charcoal.
•Albium – Refers to any protein that is water soluble. Most common type in brewing is serum albumin, which is taken from animal blood.
•Lactose – Beers labeled as sweet, milk, or cream stouts may or may not contain lactose. Sometimes the description refers to the texture and not the ingredient. It’s best to double check these to be sure. Milk chocolate is common in certain styles, but some so-called “chocolate” porters or stouts actually contain no real chocolate at all. Some malted barley is called “chocolate malt” simply to describe the flavor the roasting imparts.

Quick Reply