Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Flooring for Finished basement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 12:41 AM   #21
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwj View Post
Take a look at acid staining. I almost did this, but went with carpet instead. My main reason was the COLD floors.

http://www.wikihow.com/Acid-Stain-Concrete
+1 I went with acid stained concrete and I'm VERY happy with how it turned out:

Here are some pics right after applying the wax:

Here it is after a bit of use (the streakmarks are from a mop):

It's very simple to do compared to hardwood and laminate (I've done both before), and it's cheaper. The end product is something that looks unique and is impervious to water damage.

If you would like some information about the company that I ordered my stain from, shoot me a PM and I'd be happy to pass contact info along.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 AM   #22
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As I previously stated...(ceramic) tile is the way to go...

Completely maintenance free and easy to clean.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #23
jbeauchamp
Recipes 

I have carpet in my basement. I put down some tile in the bathroom though. I really don't like carpet in bathrooms. It works great, keeps the basement a little warmer. If you don't have water problems, I would suggest you go with carpet. Also, if you have a sump pump, I would suggest a battery backup system. It is pretty cheap insurance if you would loose power during a rain storm.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:18 PM   #24
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Hi again everyone,

Again, thanks for all of the recommendations....I appreciate the feedback.

Re: ceramic tiles: @homebrewer 99....didn't mean to ignore your suggestion last time...sorry about that!

I agree that would be a good solution, although I do worry about kids cracking their heads on the tile. Of course, I don't think any sort of wood vinyl product is any softer! Regardless, you'd be throwing carpets on most of these flooring. I'll keep it in mind.

Re: Stained concrete...also an option I didn't think about, but some of the same concerns with tile. Price is definitely right and we can do it ourselves. The downside is that you can't put an insulation layer down and you are basically on concrete....

Re: Deltafloor...thanks for this recc. Similar to the dricore panels, but it looks totally waterproof (Dricore is made partially out of OSB). The Deltafloor is also thinner although it does add some thickness to the floor (only 5/16" compared to the Dricore 7/8")

Re: carpeting...this is a tough one. It seems that alot of people it successfully, but if you get water, I agree that it could never truly dry out and be fine again. If anything, I'd go really cheap with the carpeting and expect to replace it sometime down the line.

Re: laminate...also used alot and its good to hear alot of people like it.

Re: Vinyl planking...glad to hear someone has experience with it (Gila), and actually one of my main concerns was how utilitarian it seemed. I worry that is would give the space a industrial feel instead of an comfortable feel. If its going to be industrial, then I may save myself the cash and do some sore of concrete painting/staining (the stuff is stupid expensive). Also, it worries me that the flooring professional hadn't heard of it, or that more people haven't used it. Frankly, just looking at it I would think it would be a natural choice for a basement...I don't get why it isn't a standard in the industry!

Again, thanks again to everyone's input!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #25
broadbill
Recipes 

@ dutch-brew and ohiobrewtus...PMs sent...thanks!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #26
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2114 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Seem slots of people have used laminate in the basement, but I'd be very careful. Even if you don't have a real water problem, some laminates will warp with just some moisture seepage. I've installed some cheap laminate in my computer room, which is not a basement, and only a little water has spilled, but I can see the effects in certain areas. In the kitchen, right under the dog's water dish 9used to be) the laminate has spearated at the seem, and that was coated on both sides, and glued with waterproof glue.

There is some good stuff out there now, but also some very cheap and easily ruined stuff too. Be careful.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #27
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Seem slots of people have used laminate in the basement, but I'd be very careful. Even if you don't have a real water problem, some laminates will warp with just some moisture seepage. I've installed some cheap laminate in my computer room, which is not a basement, and only a little water has spilled, but I can see the effects in certain areas. In the kitchen, right under the dog's water dish 9used to be) the laminate has spearated at the seem, and that was coated on both sides, and glued with waterproof glue.

There is some good stuff out there now, but also some very cheap and easily ruined stuff too. Be careful.
true the stuff I bought stated water resistant and can be used in bathrooms,kitchens and basements. The backing was like a masonite type of material very shiny like it was sealed and hard as a rock.

I put some down at my sisters house and the backing looked like pressboard and would flake all over and crumple if not handled correctly. I didn't care for it at all was some off brand they picked up.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #28
andeehunt
Recipes 

At the moment I am busy doing carpet floor at my neighbour's house. I will share the pics once I am done with it. My neighbour asked me for the suggestion and as they have no water problem, I suggested carpet.

Last edited by andeehunt; 03-19-2010 at 06:34 AM.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #29
broadbill
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andeehunt View Post
At the moment I am busy doing carpet floor at my neighbour's house. I will share the pics once I am done with it. My neighbour asked me for the suggestion and as they have no water problem, I suggested carpet.

are you laying down a sub-floor first? My impression is that although he may not have water problems, the concrete stays cold enough to cause condensation problems. For that reason, they recommend laying down a subfloor.

We finished our basement project (I started this thread) and we ended up laying down Delta-FL underlayment and Pergo flooring. We are really happy with the Delta-FL stuff and you can also use it for carpet. I believe the method they recommend with carpet is to lay out the Delta-FL, followed by plywood subfloor and use Tap-cons to anchor both to the concrete.

We ended up laying down Delta-FL and put the Pergo right on top. It worked well, but we do notice a hallow tapping sound when you walk across portion of the floor. We think its because of some minute buckling of the Pergo or waves in the Delta FL that compress when you walk across it. Nothing substantial, I wouldn't change anything for what we paid. OTOH, If money were no object, I might have put a plywood subfloor on top of the Delta-FL.

Hope this helps...thanks again to everyone for their advice!

Old 03-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #30
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Re: ceramic tiles: @homebrewer 99....didn't mean to ignore your suggestion last time...sorry about that!
No problem. Sure the tile floor can/does get cold in IL winters, but that's what area and throw rugs are for.

It would be a little different if we had young ones crawling around...then I would have put the heating elements under it.

Quick Reply