*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Flooring for Finished basement

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I also went with laminate. It is beautiful and it takes a beating. No scratches from doggy claws (big advantage over hardwood for me) and my buddy who was helping me took a scrap piece of laminate and put a cigarette out on it and then just wiped it off. Not a spec of damage. It is very resilient stuff. However, should you ever have water damage, I would imagine the laminate would warp. If that is something you are concerned with, tile or painting the concrete are your only options. Carpet or hardwood would require a tear out too. If that is not something you are overly concerned with, I would go with laminate. Looks awesome, it's really cheap, even for good product, and it couldn't possibly be easier to lay down. My floors are never cold. Certainly warmer than tile.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I went with laminate in the den area downstairs and carpet for the office. We went with carpet because it was cheap and it was just an office. We went with laminate because we were wanting darker laminate upstairs. So we redid the upstairs laminate and used the old stuff downstairs.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 313 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Thanks to everyone's input...as expected, it seems like the consensus is that there is no consensus! However, that pretty much follows with everything else I've read about basement flooring...everyone has their own ideas.

I like the idea of carpeting for its warmth and it is amenable to the kiddies, but I've also read that condensation/humidity in the basement will ultimately ruin it, if a flood doesn't. Do you guys have a subfloor down that the carpet went on top of, or did it go right over the concrete?

For the laminate floor folks, I've read that its pretty good stuff but toast if water ever gets down there. So that is something to consider. I imagine the same goes for hardwood (probably why its not rated for below grade applications).

Lastly, nobody has any experience with the vinyl plank flooring? If you haven't seen it, imagine something like laminate, but made out of plastic instead of wood. The plastic part is actually a hard vinyl base, similar in thickness to laminate or hardwood. It is the type of flooring those "Basement Finishing Systems" folks use...called Millcreek Flooring. Worries me that nobody has actually used it. hmmmm.

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:00 PM   #14
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4789 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Thanks to everyone's input...as expected, it seems like the consensus is that there is no consensus! However, that pretty much follows with everything else I've read about basement flooring...everyone has their own ideas.

I like the idea of carpeting for its warmth and it is amenable to the kiddies, but I've also read that condensation/humidity in the basement will ultimately ruin it, if a flood doesn't. Do you guys have a subfloor down that the carpet went on top of, or did it go right over the concrete?

For the laminate floor folks, I've read that its pretty good stuff but toast if water ever gets down there. So that is something to consider. I imagine the same goes for hardwood (probably why its not rated for below grade applications).

Lastly, nobody has any experience with the vinyl plank flooring? If you haven't seen it, imagine something like laminate, but made out of plastic instead of wood. The plastic part is actually a hard vinyl base, similar in thickness to laminate or hardwood. It is the type of flooring those "Basement Finishing Systems" folks use...called Millcreek Flooring. Worries me that nobody has actually used it. hmmmm.

Thanks for the info!
I have supervised installation of VP flooring in 85 hotel room entries. Went down easy, was easy to replace.

Felt horrible underfoot. But was utilitarian in it's intent so, it worked.

If it were me in your position. I'd stain the concrete myself and get some nice thick rugs.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 10-28-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post

Thanks for the info!
For carpet, they put some sort of black plastic moisture barrier under it and regular carpet padding. We've had it for 6 years now with no condensation or humidity issues but it looks like we live in different parts of the country so YMMV.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Mine has gotten wet from a defective(old) water heater didn't do anything to the floor . I had pieces sitting outside for weeks while I was doing the job never flinched. I bought it at Sam's club don't remember the company but it was inexpensive like 1.99 a SQFT

The drywall that another story that's why there is wainscot on the walls. I had to go up about 3 feet I replaced it with that new DensArmor mold proof drywall . Didn't have the time to tape happened 2 days before our New years eve party.

I don't care what the water restoration people say once a carpet gets wet its ruined.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by springer; 10-28-2009 at 09:23 PM.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i like the nature stone product, or just a two part epoxy, battle ship grey. put throw rugs down to keep the chill off the kiddies. my general rule is the basement eventually will get water in it, so keep it simple, ie the stone or epoxy.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #18
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I highly recommend http://www.deltafl.com/. It is an HDPE dimpled material over which you can install a subfloor and then tile, carpet, wood, or whatever. The product creates an airspace under the floor to allow circulation, drying, and natural insulation. It also creates a surface that "gives," making it much more comfortable than anything directly on a slab. The only drawback is that you lose a bit of ceiling height, but for me, it was more than worth it.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #19
Dalarast
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife and I are in the process of replacing our carpet and flooring in the kitchen to laminate wood style due to the kiddies. We find that my young daughters (soon to be 3 and soon to be 5) like spilling things on carpet that just stain.. you name it they spill it. Laminate is easier to clean up and throw rugs and rugs in general are easier to clean/replace than carpet.

My old house I had with a basement I finished the basement up before I rented it off with carpet for a quick and simple investment to increase property value. But I know if I kept the house to live in I would of done pergo or hardwood if I planned to stay... but I also didn't have kids then either soooooo I might of changed my opinion having what I have now

Old 10-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #20
dutch-brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey there,
i am a flooring contractor, put down all kinds of finishes.. if uyou would like technical thoughts/recommmendations etc shoot me a PM

I have not heard of the types you referenced to, but from experience, expect moisture (flood/leak etc) sometime, so keeping that in mind and insurance-wise pick sometingin

fred

Quick Reply