Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Flooring for the "bar"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
JnJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Flooring for the "bar"

We have a spare room that opens into the living room. Currently it houses the Kegerator and some "stuff". We plan on making it into a bar. We are leaning towards a sports bar with a lot of memorabilia (mostly football, basket ball and NASCAR).
The room is currently carpeted with a very light, almost white carpet. The plan is to tile it, but I have no clue what type of tile to use or colors. So, does anyone have advice on an inexpensive easy to clean tile fit for a "Sports bar"?

Töpperwein Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
FEARDIZ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

ceramic tile or a cheap pergo type floor should work good

Primary - Lumpy Dog Brown, Little Sumpin Sumpin

Secondary 1,2,3 -
Bottle conditioning : Apfelwein, Some Oatmeal type summer stout , 3 floyds alpha king clone

Drinking : Centennial Blonde, AHS Anny Blonde Rye

RIP: AHS 20th Anny IPA, Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout Clone "Black Sunday Stout"

Planning On Deck -

Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
srm775
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Go Pergo or some other vinyle "wood-like" flooring. Super easy to install, cheap, easy to clean, and fairly durable.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2125 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

I like the laminate flooring, but try to avoid the "cheap stuff". Also, I saw at Home Depot Yesterday that they sell a carpet with NFL logos on it... Could be good, but not as easy to clean as tile/laminate. You can get them in rugs too, if you only want a small area covered.

Laminate comes in a huge variety of designs and colors. They might even have logos now , I'm not sure.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Damonic
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've laid a lot of pergo/laminate flooring and the new click'n'lock stuff is wonderful. So much easier than the old tongue/groove/glue mess. Have you ever tiled before? I hadn't and just finished about 700 sq/ft and it was a b*tch! Rip up linoleum, level floor, mortar, lay tile, wait, grout, clean grout (the worst part), wait, remove haze and buff tiles, seal grout, ugh...

It looks great but if I had to do it over again I'd go with a textured laminate. I just figured with water in the kitchen the laminate might get really slippery if wet. You can find colored checkerboard laminate tiles and probably some with team logos as well.

Are you ever planning on leaving your current home? If so, you can't go wrong with a nice wood laminate and preserve your resale value. Floor will be classy and you can add the sports bar theme with other decor.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks all. I have done some minimal tile work (bathroom) but the wood laminate sounds great. Many years ago I layed some laminate tiles in an office which wasn't to bad, but the new click and lock stuff looks great. The room is only about 150sqft, so not to big. I really like the pergo reclaimed barnwood look for a bar floor. Of course, I will have to get SWMBO input.

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 06-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #7
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2125 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

I used the glue together laminate in our kitchen years ago and it was not bad. Not sure why everone hates it. The glue was waterproof and has worked pretty well for abotu 10 years now. It has started to separate in one place where the dogs water dish sits, but that is my fault for doing somehting stupid like letting dog slobber sit on it for years.

FYI - If you go laminate, understand that major water spills can ruin your floor. It can soak into the pieces and separate the layers. Also, if you are on a concrete floor, make sure to get ones that can tolerate it. The moisture can seep into the backing material and warp the panels.

They have a commercial grade stuff out now that looks pretty nice and supposed to be even tougher than the residential stuff. More expensive too, but looked interesting to me.

Quick Reply