Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Flipping off a cop, legal or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 AM   #21
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You flipped off a Detroit cop and didn't take a beating? Looks like your guardian angel was working. Course, I'm just guessing that you are white, whcih helps--- even the black cops are racist pricks.

Those guys work in what amounts to a bombed out shell of a city and frankly, no one in city government actually gives a shiat. LA cops have the rep of being right bastards and Chicago PD is supposed to be corrupt as a 12 day old corpse. However, Detroit PD has them freaking beat hand down--- they just haven't been caught yet. It helps that the cops have a large portion of the city that is abandoned where they can take people to re-educate them.

(yes-- I know they are not all corrupt, unethical pricks.... but enough of them are that odds are good that you'll find a bad apple)

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2008, 02:27 PM   #22
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

dibby33,

No, we didn't get names or badge numbers. While my brother was in the back of their cruiser my other brother and I discussed asking for names and badge numbers but we figured if we did they'd just cuff whoever asked, make-up some other charge that they're going to arrest us for and hold us up even longer. As it was they kept us there 20 minutes in total. Plus, since they did take my brother's information I'm hesitant to raise too much of a ruckus. I'm sure they could call up a fellow officer where my brother lives and provide no end of grief to him and his family.

One thing that really irked me about the whole situation is if the cops had been out of their car and actually directing traffic like every other cop we saw that day none of this would have happened. Instead they were lazy and decided to use siren whistles and a loudspeaker to try and tell people where they should be heading.

As far as respecting law enforcement is concerned, I don't blindly give my trust and respect to anybody, whether they have a badge and a uniform or not. Just because some city official decides that you meet the bare minimum requirements to carry a sidearm and drive a police car doesn't mean anything. I look at cops the same way I look at any other stranger I meet on the street, they get just as much respect and that level goes up or down depending on what happens when I interact with them. In this case it fell so fast I think I heard a thud as I was sitting in my brother's car.

In fact, police in general should be the last people we trust implicitly. By the make-up of our society they’re placed in a position of power over other citizens therefore even without our trust or compliance they have the ability to exert control over us. By trusting their actions without question you’re merely handing over what little control we do have and giving those who would abuse that power a free ride. To put it another way, you can trust all police implicitly and in doing so the good cops will still be good cops but the bad cops will still be bad cops or you can question everything which may make the good cops work a little harder but it will also make it a lot harder for a bad cop to abuse his position.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, it's the libertarian in me coming out.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm with you on all that, man. Cops SHOULD be serving the public trust but in fact, many aren't. And given that our police forces are largely tooling up like soldiers, further blurring the lines between military operations and police operations, only makes it worse.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:46 PM   #24
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteOz77
If he flipped me off, I would probably break his finger for him, so he gave little bit more thought to the repercussions of his actions in the future.
Sounds like someone needs anger management courses. For f*ck's sake, is this the state of our civilization in the 21st century? As much as you might want it to be, this isn't Beyond Thunderdome, and there's no place in civilized society for maniacs who would physically assault another person for flipping them off. When those people are the police, we're in big trouble.

Quote:
And a cop can do it LEGALLY, with a second cop as a witness...
If everyone there is as crazy as you, remind me to never visit sh*tbag Canberra. "Uh, excuse officer, I'm lost, could you help me find my way?" "Eh, f*ck you, mate, move along before I cave yaw f*ckin skull in, scum!"

No offense, but WTF?!? So what, someone flipped you off. Do you not have enough self-control to either just flip him off right back, or let it go?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #25
nyer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

In NY if you flip the bird in public you can be arrested for disorderly conduct (making an obscene gesture in a public place). There is probably a similiar law in Detroit. Now if the story you told is true, and I'm saying "if" because I wasn't there and the entire truth never seems to be told. Your brother not only acted inappropriately, so did the police officer if he really swore over the PA. Using abusive or obscene language is also disorderly conduct. Sounds like a bad situation for everyone involved.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #26
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I believe that they can give you a dissorderly conduct ticket or something to that effect, However even if it is legal it gives them various reasons to harass you like pull you over search your car inspect the operating condition of your car pretty much anything they want to screw up your day, I say why bother with the hassle.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-26-2008, 11:32 PM   #27
PeteOz77

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Sounds like someone needs anger management courses. For f*ck's sake, is this the state of our civilization in the 21st century? As much as you might want it to be, this isn't Beyond Thunderdome, and there's no place in civilized society for maniacs who would physically assault another person for flipping them off. When those people are the police, we're in big trouble.

If everyone there is as crazy as you, remind me to never visit sh*tbag Canberra. "Uh, excuse officer, I'm lost, could you help me find my way?" "Eh, f*ck you, mate, move along before I cave yaw f*ckin skull in, scum!"

No offense, but WTF?!? So what, someone flipped you off. Do you not have enough self-control to either just flip him off right back, or let it go?

Yes, it does sound like someone needs anger management therapy!

Do you think you overreacted a TINY bit to my comments about a fictitious situation?

Seems to me that flpping someone off is the non verbal equivalent of getting right in someone's face and telling them to F*** O**. I wouldn't avise that you or anyone else try that with me. If you verablly assault someone (bit it via hand gesture or the real thing) be prepared to suffer the repurcussions of your actions.

Better yet, keep that finger down with the rest of them, choose NOT to abuse/insult another person, and I'm guessing you won't have a lot of trouble. If you shoose to fly that bird... you might expect a bit of trouble.

It's pretty simple.

Now.. did you happen to notice that I responded to your very excited, abusive post without insulting or abusing you, or your city or your county of residence??

Quick Reply