Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > FirstGear Thermo and a Scorpion EXO-900.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3473 Times on 3186 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I wear a Mossy Oak fleece balaclava. I've worn a bandana bandit style too. Balaclava is warmer. Bandana is more comfortable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4822 Times on 4426 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
I wear a Mossy Oak fleece balaclava. I've worn a bandana bandit style too. Balaclava is warmer. Bandana is more comfortable.
I have a fleece/poly balaclava. It's too stretchy on the head (poly)while putting on a helmet and too foofy from the neck down (fleece). It's the kind that is meant to go under your jacket and cover a portion of your chest, shoulder, and back.

It does okay keeping the air off. I just can't help but to think there is something better, and easier to wear without having to adjust it a bunch to get it to fit right while gearing up.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
TowsonTiger22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1801 Times on 1767 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
I have a fleece/poly balaclava. It's too stretchy on the head (poly)while putting on a helmet and too foofy from the neck down (fleece). It's the kind that is meant to go under your jacket and cover a portion of your chest, shoulder, and back.

It does okay keeping the air off. I just can't help but to think there is something better, and easier to wear without having to adjust it a bunch to get it to fit right while gearing up.
i put it on, zip up the thermo, and done.

Primary: None
Secondary: Nothing there either
Kegged: Porter, Pale Ale

Old 11-20-2012, 02:57 AM   #14
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Still have to get used to the pressure of the helmet on my cheeks but so far, I am liking it. Nowhere near as much drag on my head at speed. Sounds are muffled compared to my other helmet but still perfectly audible. Wind noise is drastically reduced.

edit: This morning was extremely foggy. I'd say no more than 1 mile visibility in some spots. Wore a bright blue jacket to improve my visibility. despite all the fog in the air no fog accumulated on the inside of the helmet. There was a moist, sort of, sheet. Not foggy but a little bit distorted like looking through a thin sheet of water.

Periphial vision on the helmet is good too.

I dunno what else to tell you Z. That's my best report. You have any specific questions?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Okay, I've used this helmet for a few days now and I can say I aam thrilled with it.

The only thing I wish were different about it is the color. I got the black and wish I had gotten the Yellow.

In fact, I am going to see if there are any partners in town, or try to work it out otherwise so I can make an exchange.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
Bedlam
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 49

El Hubbo and I have worn Scorpion helmets for years. I think you just can't get a bigger bang for your buck. Right now I have the EXO 500 and love the flip down sun visor. I'm in love with the sun visor and can't imagine not having it now. Works like a charm! Scorpion also has the best anti-fog treatment, I think. It lasts quite a while.

-------------------------------------
Jill Mc

Old 11-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #17
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
El Hubbo and I have worn Scorpion helmets for years. I think you just can't get a bigger bang for your buck. Right now I have the EXO 500 and love the flip down sun visor. I'm in love with the sun visor and can't imagine not having it now. Works like a charm! Scorpion also has the best anti-fog treatment, I think. It lasts quite a while.
I am still adjusting to the sensation of having my cheeks mashed in by the chops of this helmet style but, so far, I am sold on Scorpion too. Big change for me going from open face to full face I suppose and it'll take some time to get the liner "broken in" to the shape of my head.

I did swap the Black for the Neon Yellow.

First time wearing it was on todays ride in and a cop pulled up next to me and started going on about the conspicuity of the color. Said I "was the first thing he spotted on highway from a mile away..."

And just before the light changed to green he warned me to not let him "catch me doing 80mph to pass a car again". Whoops. And, .

Only other odd thing was all the condesation inside the helmet. The sheild stayed absolutely clear the entire time but when I got to work and flipped the sheild up, before taking the helmet off, it was dripping from condensation. Ewww.

Quick Reply