Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > First Time Home Buyer!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
bhizzy1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First Time Home Buyer!

Ok, so here's the story. I'm buying my first house right now. I'm closing in a week and moving, so I'll be busy for the next month or so. However, the hustle and bustle of moving is going to wear off and I'm going to find myself with a spare Saturday to do a batch of beer.

Can anyone give me some advice on what a good beer to break my new house in on would be? I brew all grain up to 10 gallon batches, but as of right now I'm limited to ale yeast because of temperature control issues.

My two favorites are Stouts and IPA's, but as long as it has a b, two e's and an r I really don't care.

I'm open to suggestions, recipes and any first time home buyer advice you have.

P.S. SWMBO is thrilled that our armoire is no longer a brewery cabinet. I might just get out of the doghouse yet!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
shelly_belly
Easy Wind
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Haus Pale Ale? And, congrats!

Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 203

Awwwwww, that is cute that you think you'll have all this down-time to brew as a home owner. I was an idealistic first time home owner myself not too long ago too....

Seriously though, congrats! If you find some time between mowing the grass, weed-whacking, pulling weeds, planting flowers/shrubs/trees, painting, scraping paint, removing paint spills, priming walls, painting trim, wandering up and down the aisle of home depot, trying to figure out why the toilets flushes itself in the middle of the night...well, you get the point!

I'd do double batches on a single brew day since a single batch takes up most of a day anyway...two batches isn't that much longer. Go for things that will be drinkable soon! Cream ale or pale ale....congrats again!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
Franzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Haha...I agree with broadbill. If you have a wife, then house/yardwork will be the least of your concerns. Have fun spending the next few weekends at Lowe's, Home Depot, Raymour & Flanigan, etc.

Congrats on the house!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
NoNothing
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Congrats on the house! I too am on my first home, we have yet to remove all the contingencies though.

My first brew in the house will be a barely wine on the first weekend I move in. I plan on opening it once I sell the house .

Quick Reply