Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > first all grain recipe suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #11
Brulosopher
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe
My capacity will be two 5 gallon batches. I could do one 10 gallon batch, i have 4 carboys and i like to do secondary fermentation. Boil kettles i have are 10g max ea.

Bru, only reason is that the parti-gyle seems to be a better use of grain, and ill be able to do 2 batches.

Do you reccomend i go single batch for my first?
I'm not necessarily making a recommendation, just wondering the reason you chose that method. That's all. I'm interested in the results of whatever you do!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_D View Post
You'd have to go from lighter to darker if you're planning on a color change. You could do a hoppy session brown. And start with an IIPA or something. What's the capacity of the system you're buying?
I've never done this kind of brewing, so I admittedly am coming from a place of ignorance. I need someone to clarify this for me. It sounds like you're saying the wort from the second runnings would be darker than the first? If that's so, how is that possible? Wouldn't the majority of color extraction happen in the first time through?

In the Keg: Nothing Currently
In Secondary: Nothing Currently
In Bottles:Oblivion RIS, EdWort's Apfelwein
In Primary: Nothing Currently
On Deck: Nothing Currently
In Design: Saison de Erin

Old 10-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Darker beers use darker grains. So if you started with a highish gravity brown ale, your second running will be a lower gravity brown ale. If you wanted to do a brown and a pale, you would do the pale, pull out the first runnings, then add some darker malts into the MLT to make a brown beer. But obviously once the darker mats are added, you can't really remove them from the mash.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
heffe
Recipes 

i also liked the suggestion of keeping some dme around so if you do need to bump the sugars a bit you can easily.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Darker beers use darker grains. So if you started with a highish gravity brown ale, your second running will be a lower gravity brown ale. If you wanted to do a brown and a pale, you would do the pale, pull out the first runnings, then add some darker malts into the MLT to make a brown beer. But obviously once the darker mats are added, you can't really remove them from the mash.
Ah, I see what you're saying. So If I started with a bunch of dark malts I would have a dark beer, obviously. I would think they second runnings would be noticeably lighter though. Is this the case, or not?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #16
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yes. But the second runnings are still pretty close to the same style as the first. Not that much lighter really.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #17
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Is there any reason you can't just combine your first and second runnings into a single beer? As somebody who's also planning his first all-grain batch, I can tell you, I'm looking to remove as many other variables as possible from my brew day. Trying to do two beers at once seems to be adding complexity to what will already be a long and challenging brew.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
heffe
Recipes 

best answered by someone with experience but i believe you can, i think it would net a lower starting gravity though. is this right?

i want to make 2 different batches for variety. i have the bandwidth and 2 kegs so should be good.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:00 AM   #19
LoneWolfPR
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera View Post
Is there any reason you can't just combine your first and second runnings into a single beer? As somebody who's also planning his first all-grain batch, I can tell you, I'm looking to remove as many other variables as possible from my brew day. Trying to do two beers at once seems to be adding complexity to what will already be a long and challenging brew.
That's basically batch sparging.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Quote:
Originally Posted by feinbera
This IS batch sparging, to a T.

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Quick Reply