Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/)
-   -   first all grain recipe suggestions (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/first-all-grain-recipe-suggestions-360314/)

heffe 10-11-2012 04:15 AM

first all grain recipe suggestions
 
im going to be buying my friends all grain equipment next week and i would like to do an india brown ale as well as an ipa or session beer with the 2nd runnings.

i understand the process but have no idea what would be a good recipe for the 2nd runnings. any suggestions on either recipe? any tips on pairing beer recipes for first and 2nd runnings?

Double_D 10-11-2012 04:50 AM

You'd have to go from lighter to darker if you're planning on a color change. You could do a hoppy session brown. And start with an IIPA or something. What's the capacity of the system you're buying?

Brulosopher 10-11-2012 04:55 AM

Any radon you're choosing parti-gyle for your first batch?

Brulosopher 10-11-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brulosopher
Any radon you're choosing parti-gyle for your first batch?

*reason

Sir Humpsalot 10-11-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double_D
You'd have to go from lighter to darker if you're planning on a color change.

Generally, yes. Unless you use steeping grains. I have been thinking about doing a 2-row only batch in my 5gal MLT to maximize the extraction of fermentables for 10 gallons of beer... And then just steeping specialty grains in the 2-row extract.

heffe 10-11-2012 01:47 PM

My capacity will be two 5 gallon batches. I could do one 10 gallon batch, i have 4 carboys and i like to do secondary fermentation. Boil kettles i have are 10g max ea.

Bru, only reason is that the parti-gyle seems to be a better use of grain, and ill be able to do 2 batches.

Do you reccomend i go single batch for my first?

Double_D 10-11-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heffe (Post 4489368)
My capacity will be two 5 gallon batches. I could do one 10 gallon batch, i have 4 carboys and i like to do secondary fermentation. Boil kettles i have are 10g max ea.

Bru, only reason is that the parti-gyle seems to be a better use of grain, and ill be able to do 2 batches.

Do you reccomend i go single batch for my first?

It's better to get the hang of brewing all grain before jumping into techniques that are more advanced.

heffe 10-11-2012 05:14 PM

okay thanks for the advice ill go ahead and start with a single beer.

Sir Humpsalot 10-11-2012 07:50 PM

I actually think it is easier to go partigyle. Just keep a bit of extra DME around in case you need to bump up your gravity. There's really nothing difficult about doing a partigyle brew. It is actually a great way to fill your fermenters and get your pipeline flowing.

heffe 10-11-2012 08:55 PM

That's a good idea, and considering I have a bunch of extra hops laying around that need to be used up I think I can find something that would only cost me yeast. If it turns out bad, I can always dump it out, not a huge loss.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.