Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > First all grain batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
WarEagle1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First all grain batch

I recently purchased equipment for all grain brewing. 2- 10 gal coolers (one for mash and one as hot liquor tank to sparge as it came with sparge arm) 10 gal brew pot. My first question is will I be able to do a ten gallon batch at once or will I need to do 2 - 5 gal batches? The answer to this and any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #2
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks like you are well on your way to being able to make ten gallon batches! That ten gal kettle will come in very handy for heating water but you will need to add a 15 gallon kettle for boiling, I recommend a keggle for the money savings...

Old 05-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
WarEagle1
Recipes 

I was afraid that was the case. So at this point look at 2 - 5 gal bathes.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle1 View Post
I recently purchased equipment for all grain brewing. 2- 10 gal coolers (one for mash and one as hot liquor tank to sparge as it came with sparge arm) 10 gal brew pot. My first question is will I be able to do a ten gallon batch at once or will I need to do 2 - 5 gal batches? The answer to this and any tips will be greatly appreciated!
Your brew pot is too small IMO. I use a 9 gallon pot to brew a 5-6 gallon batch.

With a larger pot you should be able to do 10 gallon batches, unless you are interested in high gravity beer. In this case you would need a larger cooler or brew a smaller quantity like 8 gallons or something.

Quick Reply