Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Favre overload--COUNTDOWN TO 421

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 PM   #101
Sandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Sword
(In Bill Belichick monotone) Hmm. Well, you know, we value the team over the individual. When a player thinks he is more important than the team, the team struggles. It is what it is. We want football players, ummmm, smart football players who can learn assignments and that kind of thing. Not heroes, football players. (end Bill drone)

Tom Brady will never be bigger than the team, and when he gets to a point in his career when it is better for him to hang up his Super Bowl Rings and chase after the likes of Scarlet Johanssen and Rockets (after I break her and Dice-k up this coming spring) he will do so. It won't mean fans "hate" him, they just are rational enough to know it will be time for him to retire or move on to the Seniors Circuit out in Oakland.
Interesting...since i don't have the same crystal ball that you seem to, i guess i'll just have to wait and see what Tom Brady will do when that time comes.

This isn't about Brett Favre thinking he's above the team. The guy is a football player...that's all he is, and anyone who would imply that he isn't is out of their mind.

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #102
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I don't think Brady will walk away - he's too much of a competitor. He SHOULDN'T walk away, nor should Favre.

But, if Belichick is still coach, when the time comes he'll push him away. No player is bigger than the team or the organization. You need to have someone in charge who is strong-willed enough (and empowered by ownership) to make these really, really difficult decisions.

Trade Bledsoe?
Cut Lawyer Malloy?
Trade Deion Branch?

Trade Brett Favre?

Right or wrong, that decision can't be left in the hands of the player. Most football players would play until they were fifty years old if you left it up to them. Someone with a bigger perspective, someone ultimately responsible for the organization as a whole, needs to be the one who makes that determination. Fact is, Green Bay's coaches and management seems to cower before Favre. This is where having poor coaching and poor overall management has hurt the franchise, IMHO.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #103
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Trading Favre wouldn't help anything. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, he's still their best player. Now if we could just trade away the O-line, a couple wideouts, and most of the defense........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #104
Sandy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ablrbrau
Trading Favre wouldn't help anything. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, he's still their best player. Now if we could just trade away the O-line, a couple wideouts, and most of the defense........
Exactly...and don't forget to add the running backs to that group.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #105
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

$10 mil towards the cap could go a long way in shoring up some of those positional needs, no?

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 PM   #106
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Part of the "Larger Picture" is the legacy of the Green Bay Packers, the only (originally said privately,oops) publicly, held sports franchise in the most successful sports organization (NFL) in the world, located in a town of 100,000.

Although the organization can afford to pay what other organizations pay now (after free agency), you cannot put a price on a team honoring a player in this way and letting him play out his days in Green Bay. That this "wouldn't fly" in other cities is a small economic differentiator that MAY distinguish GB as a place to play for an aging veteran at some point in the future.

There may be a day when Favre is pushed out by the new management group instead of leaving on his own. I hope that it never comes to that. I wouldn't suppoort it. I'm in the, "He's earned it camp" and I'm willing to forgo some meaningless backdoor to the playoffs years if it comes to it.

I would remind the Bears fans that the only thing they've "earned" so far is the first week bye and the NFC North title- a title that's meant squat 36 times out of 40 since 1966 when it comes to going all the way.

They haven't really won home field through out the playoffs because that would preclude them winning playoff game #1... of that's right.... they already won the Super Bowl this year.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Last edited by olllllo; 12-19-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #107
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts

Um, olllllo, yo meant to say "publicly held" , right? Other than that, you nailed the atmosphere here in Cheeseland pretty well.......

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-19-2006, 08:27 PM   #108
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 13

At least I didn't say pubic. That was my first fear!

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 12-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #109
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Lets not pretend that Favre has been on some slow dragging down the Packers for 5+ years tirade. Last year he sucked, this year is better than last but not all that great. A mere 1.8 seasons ago he was selected for the Pro Bowl (8th time).

Only a consistent watcher of his play (I probably missed 5-6 games in his career) would be qualified to state that his physical skills have not diminished much but his talent around him sure has. ANY QB who has to continually play from behind is going to have a worse passer rating and throw more picks. Check your own stats on for that reality check. Admittedly he does toss picks more than most but always has; even when he won 3 MVP’s I'd hit my forehead with some of his passes.

No mind though, we can continue this next year as I'm betting he does not retire yet, nor should he. BTW, how old was Elway & Marino when they retired? 39 I believe? What was Moon, 50? . Some other win/loss stats.

Elway 148-82-1 (.643)
Marino 163-108-0 (.601)
Favre 139-82-0 (.629)

Last edited by DesertBrew; 12-19-2006 at 08:51 PM.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 PM   #110
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

OMG..... And you asked why I've stayed away from your thread?????

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Closed Thread

Quick Reply