Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > favorite dish to cook?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #71
dancingbarefoot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
If you see DRB could you ask him to check in??
Wouldn't know him from Adam, but why the hell not. (Well, except that I'm in Alaska for the summer.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2006, 01:55 AM   #72
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One thing I like to do for a fairly large gathering is what we call a Polish Luau. The cooking methods are way out of left field, but don't knock it till you've tried it. You will also need some unusual cooking equipment, namely a fire pit and a new 10 gallon galvanized garbage can. Here goes:

You will need:

Bratwurst, Polish or your favorite other fresh sausage
Natural casing hot dogs-the kind with the skin on
Potatoes
Onions
Corn on the cob
Any other outdoor cookout food you can think of (except hamburgers; they'll fall apart)
A case of BMC in cans-the cheapest you can find

Build a nice fire in your fire pit. Line the bottom of the garbage can with the full beer cans. Pop them open and stand them upright with the beer still in them. Layer on top your brats, hot dogs, potatoes, etc. Just make sure the meat is on the bottom layers or else you'll get grease on everything else.
Cover the can and set it above the fire somehow for a couple of hours. The beer will boil and steam-cook all of the food, and the beer flaver will permeate everything. Believe me, it tastes a lot better than it sounds!

P.S. If the sight of steam-cooked brats doesn't appeal to you , grill them first to brown them.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 06-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #73
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I make currys a lot. This involves making a large batch of base sauce (onion, ginger & garlic all blended and cooked for ages) which you can seperate and freeze for future currys. Then you add some blended tomatoes, tomato paste, turmeric & paprika and cook for another while, while frying the meat of your choice in loads of oil and turmeric. Then this is all added together with chillis, garam masala (which is a blend of spices; a spice grinder is essential), cumin, fenugreek, coriander and whatever else.

Pizzas, too. The key is making good dough and rolling it out on semolina, and cooking it at a really high temperature. And of course a good sauce involving italian tomatoes, sugar, salt, tabasco, onions & garlic.

I find it pretty apt that us homebrewers are good cooks too! Says alot about us!

Old 06-06-2006, 01:52 AM   #74
sudsmonkey

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds good. I like the fact that you look out for the dog. I just let mine drool. They do get the occasional beer and any bones that are left over.
That was a funny recipe, Ceej. You should have a cooking show, or something.

More like a sock monkey, really...

Old 06-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #75
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I had a fantastic London broil cooked on the grill the other night. I made a dry rub of:

1T coarse salt
1t smoked paprika
1t thyme
1t crushed black pepper
1t garlic powder
1t fine ground coffee

I've never tried a rub with coffee, but it was really nice. The only real tragedy is that my wife who generally likes meat at least medium (I've brought her down to that from medium well) is now especially particular as she is pregnant, so the meat was several degrees beyond acceptable, but I still ate it!

Old 06-08-2006, 07:08 AM   #76
Grimsawyer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
uh, guess i need to hu?

1. homemade pizzaw/ home dough that proofs 24 hrs
I also make a mean pizza. I empty my dishwasher put it on dry cycle and splash a generous amount of water over the heating element toss in my flat pizza crust freshly rolled out and formed into my deep dish pan for about 30 min. Take it out and toss it into the oven at 500 degrees till it just starts to get a slight golden color. Take it out put sauce cheese, etc... and toss it right back into the oven. The dishwasher trick ROCKS!!! They say necessity is the mother of invention, forget that. I'm lazy. Diddn't want to work all that overtime to afford a proofer so I improvised. Laziness is the mother of invention!

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBeer
...no sense hauling empty carboys around when full ones take up just as much space. :)

Old 06-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #77
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceej
Take the meat, and drop it into a vacuum canister filled with a thoroughly mixed concoction of your favorite Bar-B-Que sauce and the beer of your choice. Use enough beer to submerge the meat.
Pump the chamber down again. Repeat the above method a couple more times to suck the beer and sauce into the meat.
Go out and chase the spiders out of your Bar-B-Que. This is the most fun by lighting it and watching the burning remains shrivel. It won't affect the flavor.

Scrape all the old crud off the Grill and put your Mesquite in.

OK, your Man card is getting a p-stamp on it.

1. Barbeque sauce on steak?
2. Removing the bone?

Why remove the bone, which provides so much flavor? And then to cover up that delicious steak in bbq sauce is a crime against humanity. A little salt, a little pepper and MAYBE a little garlic rub is all you should put on a steak. OK, maybe a little Montreal steak seasoning if you've got a dodgy piece of meat.

3. Grill covered with dust and spiders?

My grill gets more use than my cumrag. I have two grills, a gas and a charcoal and they're both Webber. I would never EVER cook red meat on the gas grill. Not even if it's a hamburger for one.

4. Scrape old crud off the grill?

You should BRUSH that stuff off while your grill is still hot. It'll keep your spokes cleaner and your grill in better shape. Don't let that stuff eat into your grill and cause rust. And never use a generic grill - make sure it's always nickle coated (for coal) or a rust-proof surface for your gas.

I don't mean to beat up on you, but when I hear someone abusing meat or the grilling process it gives me a clincher. You should treat your grill with more respect than your wife for two reasons: 1) Unlike your wife, it can cook. 2) it's easier to turn on.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #78
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

Greek style chicken with fire roasted bruchetta, grilled garlic sour dough points and cob salad with blue cheese dressing:

Prepare the marinade:
Juice from 1/2 lemon, 1/4 cup of EVOO, 1 clove minced garlic and 1 tbsp fresh oregano and fresh parsley. Whip together.

Marinade the chicken:
Put 2-4 boneless skiness chicken breasts in a glass dish and cover with half the marinade. Cover and shake to get it all coated, then put it in the fridge for at least an hour.

Make the dressing:
Whip 2/3 cup lowfat buttermilk, 1/4 cup sour cream, one clove of minced garlic and 1/4 cup (or more, to taste) blue cheese crumbles with a little salt and pepper. Put in a glass container, cover and put in the fridge.

Make the bruchetta
Cut in half a red pepper, poblano pepper, tomato and sweet onion. Clean the seeds out of the peppers. Cook on the grill on top of a wet cedar plank with 2 whole coves of garlic. Turn once. When the skin starts to sag off the tomato, put the veggies directly on the grill and cook until the skin on the peppers blisters and the garlic starts to brown. Remove.

Put them all in a blender with some water, some leftover marinade and the heel of a loaf of crusty sour dough bread. Blend rough. Put in a glass container and store in the fridge.

Cook the chicken:
Put the chicken on the cedar planks and cook about 10 minutes on each side, prior to removing from the grill, put it directly over the flame and cook for about 2 minutes on each side to give it nice grill marks.

Grill the bread:
Cut your sourdough loaf into 1/2" slices. Spray with olive oil and grill until warm and lightly toasted.

Make the salad:
Take a head of iceberg lettuce, remove the heart (bottom stalk part) and the outer leaves. Cut into four slices and put each slice in a bowl. Top with some of the home made blue cheese salad dressing.

Serve:
Small dipping dishes for the bruchetta, salad in its own bowl and chicken on the plate with bread and dipping dish. Drizzle a little leftover marinade (not used on the raw chicken) onto the chicken at time of plating.

Pairing:
This garlicky dish goes best with a dry white like a Pinot Grigio or a lightly colored beer like a Kolsch or Cali Common. You want a beer with enough flavor to wash away the garlic, but not leave a stong, hoppy taste in the mouth.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #79
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hops Smoked Chicken!

I got the idea from a BYO article, but I only used the concept, not the recipe. It didn't appeal to me.

Here's mine:

4 Skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp. smoked sea salt
2 tsp. dried orange peel
2 tsp. dried cilantro
1 tsp. garlic powder (or garlic salt)

1 oz. cascade (any will do) pellet hops
2 handfuls of hickory chips (soaked in water for at least 30 minutes

1. Mix all dry ingredients, sprinkle onto chicken breasts.
2. In a foil smoking pan, add wood chips and pellet hops with enough water to cover bottom of smoking pan and part of chips and hops.
3. Set smoking pan on top of coals and wait about 10 minutes for the smoke to start.
4. Put the chicken breasts on the grill right above the smoking pan.
5. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is done.

The smell will be out of this world. Similar to another "herb" in the hops family, if you know what I mean.

Wait'll you taste it too.

I'm working on some type of glaze for dipping as well, I know it will have garlic, orange juice and a hoppy pale ale. I'll update the recipe when I perfect it.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 AM   #80
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

That sounds good. Now that I've got a monster deck, I want to get myself a smoker. I tend to grill meat WAY too fast, I need to learn how to grill proper-like.

Hmm... I wonder how hops-smoked malt would work in a brew?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply